• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

C5 Vette - 1st DA Use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: C5 Vette - 1st DA Use

I believe that I only have the regular softbuff pads for the DA. I have seen that the 2.0 versions can be machine washed. I've read mixed posts about people washing the regular ones in a sink with warm water.

How would you guys recommend washing the v.1 softbuff pads for further use?

Since I've been experimenting with random product, I'd like to wash them thorougly of the product saturated in them. Then I'll designate pads for particular product so I don't cross-contaminate them. It's all getting very confusing as I've been working through this.
    99' FRC Corvette
    08' Sky RedLine

Comment

Originally posted by Demon_C5 View Post
      I believe that I only have the regular softbuff pads for the DA. I have seen that the 2.0 versions can be machine washed. I've read mixed posts about people washing the regular ones in a sink with warm water.

How would you guys recommend washing the v.1 softbuff pads for further use?

Since I've been experimenting with random product, I'd like to wash them thorougly of the product saturated in them. Then I'll designate pads for particular product so I don't cross-contaminate them. It's all getting very confusing as I've been working through this.
      I've seen three washing methods used to success:

1. Dawn soak for an hour or so and then hand wash....

2. Pad washer setup for a 5-gallon bucket (expensive but effective)...

3. Mix a 5-gallon bucket full of water and a pad cleaner solution and soak pads for an hour then hand or machine wash...

Don't use a detergent or degreaser as this can dissolve the adhesive between the pad and velcro backing as well as deposit residues within the pad. You can air dry or use the machine at tumble/low setting.

Comment

So I guess I'll use the dawn soak and hand wash method. Any specific recommendation for diluting the Dawn? How exactly do you hand wash them?

Probably some fairly basic questions.
        99' FRC Corvette
        08' Sky RedLine

Comment

So I guess I'll use the dawn soak and hand wash method. Any specific recommendation for diluting the Dawn? How exactly do you hand wash them?

Probably some fairly basic questions.
          No real specific dilution formula for me when I used to use Dawn. A good ounce or so in a 5-gallon bucket filled halfway and agitate to mix solution and create some sudsing. I would soak the pads in there for about an hour.

When I was ready to clean I would drain the bucket and then thoroughly squeeze out the pads. You'll see the water mixed with polish come pouring out. I have a wash sink in the laundry room where I used to hand wash them under as hot a water temp as I could stand . Scrub the surface with my fingers and just let the running, hot water soak in and squeeze it out. After 5 or 6 times it'll start coming out clear.

I appreciate having moved to the dedicated pad cleaning solution because it realy does a great job dissolved in the bucket. I soak the pads in there when done as I'm going around the car polishing. When it's time to wash them they only need a couple of minutes of rinsing/cleaning by hand.

You should do a search on the Meg's pads for cleaning options recommended...

Comment

This was your after 205 picture,

I really don't think your going to see much of this in the sun unless you really lean in close. Once you apply a LSP it's only going to look better.

A friend in our Corvette club here in Az, bought a black Mercedes for a daily driver that was really rough, he spent a couple of months working on it and now it's beautiful. When he had the time he would work one fender, or door at a time, sometimes taking 4 or 5 evenings to complete each section, using about the same products you have. His persistence paid off and now it looks like a brand new paint job!

Like I said before, move on and work on the rest of your Corvette, you can always spend the rest of the year fixing the worst spots, but for now it sounds like you really need to finish a trip around it once so you can get out in the sun and see how much improvement you have already made!

I'm dying to see your pictures after you get some ColorX on there.....
            Arizona Corvette Enthusiasts
            08 Atomic Orange Metallic C6 LS3 Z51 4LT
            98 Torch Red Convertible * SOLD
            82 Collector Edition * SOLD

Comment

^That picture is not what I would typically describe as 'micro-marring' nor, in my experience, would that type of marring be covered by most typical glazes. 'Micro-marring', at least how I use the term, is often very fine, very frequent machine marks that often appear as a very light haze on the paint's surface. Because this particular type of marring is most often created by a variable speed random orbital or a dual-action polisher the marks tend to be tight, little circles. By comparison most swirl marks are longer, elongated scratches that only 'appear' circular when they radiate outwards from a light source.

In that picture*I* see straight line, swirl mark damage. Micro hazing would look like very fine, very little 'j-hooks' that would appear almost uniformly over the surface.

Maybe these questions have been asked already and I missed them, but I like to trouble shoot from the end to the front.

How exactly are you removing the polish residue? What type of cloth and technique are you using, and how does the surface look under lighting before you remove the residue? Again going on what little information I can discern from that picture, the damage does not look like it has been instilled during the mechanical polishing process. After you finish polishing a section, try using a a high quality microfiber, and wipe in a straight line motion, either up and down or left and right. See if this has any effect on the marring you are seeing.

If it this has no effect, and you still see marring in the opposite direction you are wiping, at least we have eliminated one obvious variable.

Next, instead of throwing more products at the paint, lets focus on the goals and techniques of each step. To keep it simple we will consist of two steps: Defect Removal or the removal of swirl marks and Final Polishing, which should increase over-all gloss by removing any damage installed during the Defect Removal Stage.

Defect Removal: You should always use the least aggressive combination of product, pad, and machine to remove the defects, but this will still the most aggressive combination you use. Since I skimmed the thread I am assuming that you have the older style pads, in which case I would guess that the 8006 Yellow Polishing Pad and M105 is probably going to be your most aggressive combination that you should use.

Ideally, the goals of defect removal are to 1) remove the defects and 2) the leave as little scouring as possible behind so that only one, high gloss step is required.

1. Remove the defects- This seems to be the least of your worries. While with practice you could speed up the process, it seems that you are getting the initial defects out of the paint, which is commendable. Most machine polishing discussions focus on this point as most people struggle with achieving defect removal.

1. Leave as little scouring behind as possible- I think could be where you are struggling, so I am going to focus a lot on this section. With older style, traditional diminishing abrasives, it was very common leave a lot of scouring on the paint, which would require a number of steps (each moving progressively finer) to remove the finer and finer scouring. Meguiar's M105 uses a very fine 'Micro' abrasive that traditionally leaves behind a very, almost wax ready, surface on most paints.

If you are not getting a very nice, high gloss, haze free finish then we have to figure out why not. Something, somewhere, is causing the surface to scour.

Always work clean- Make sure that your pad is clean and free of polish residue, expelled paint, or any contamination. Make sure that the surface is free of any dust or dirt that could become stuck between the paint and pad and scratch the surface.

Ensure the pad is clean and remains clean- This, in my opinion, is the most important step when using a product that features non-diminishing abrasives such as those used with M105. When I use M105 with a dual-action polisher I typically notice that the first section I polish has almost a flawless finish. The second section has slightly more micro-marring. The third section has significantly more. Why is this?

As you polish the paint you are removing a minuscule, almost immeasurable, amount of paint. As that paint is abraded away it becomes impregnated on the pad. This removed or expelled paint can act to cause the abrasives in M105 (which do not break down) to 'clump' together, forming larger abrasives. These new clumped abrasives act more aggressive and can cause micro scouring. So how to avoid it?

By cleaning your pad frequently and using multiple pads through out the process. Now I know you are fed up with buying new products and I am not suggesting you buy a bunch of new pads on the whim that I am correct, but, lets test for it anyways. Clean your 8006 pad thoroughly and remove as much residue as possible. Then let it dry completely.

Now we have a fresh pad. Before we start polishing we want to prime to the pad as best as possible to reduce the chances of the pad itself rubbing against the paint and causing scouring. There are a lot of methods to priming the pad. The Kevin Brown Method works best but requires a little more patience and product. Meguiar's recommends misting the pad. I tend to use a hybrid of both. If you have Meguiar's M34 Final Inspection give the pad a light mist. If you do not have Final Inspection, a very fine mist of water will work. Now two lines of product across the pad in an X fashion then quickly massage the product through out the pad. If you have not misted the pad previously you may find it very hard to spread the product as it will kind of stick and absorb where you placed it.

Massage the product through out the pad as much as possible. Then place the pad on the machine and turn it on. Using your finger, pressed into a cotton terry cloth, lightly scrub the pad from the inside out to remove excess product and moisture. Use this technique after each polishing application to help keep the pad from becoming contaminated. Add a little more polish to the primed pad.

Now we are going to test a section of paint that you have already polished and removed the majority of the swirl marks from since the untouched versions still have swirl marks that might it difficult to see when the micro-marring is occurring. Polish the section similar to how you have been, making sure to work the section for at least 30 seconds, probably more. Remove the residue carefully and inspect the paint closely. In general the paint will be nearly or completely haze free. What I think might be happening is that you have to polish each section so many times to fully removal the swirl marks, that by the time the swirls are removed, the pad has become contaminated, and is now instilling it's own micro-hazing. Assuming that the paint came out clear, let's move on to a section that still has swirl marks.

Before polishing the section for the first time remember to clean the pad by pressing a towel firmly against it and lightly scrubbing it from the inside out. Now polish the section as many applications as necessary to remove the swirl marks, remembering to scrub-clean the pad after each application. Stop after each application (series of passes) and inspect the paint for both defect removal and to see if any faint micro-hazing is appearing. It would be my guess that you are able to remove the swirls while still preventing the paint from hazing.

As you polish around the car, even scrub-cleaning the pad after each application, you will get to the point that the pad will begin to instill marring. At this point the pad needs to be replaced with a clean, fresh pad. The key to inspect closely every step of the way to keep the ball rolling forward.

Final Polishing-

If you keep the pad clean and change (or wash) frequently you should have very little marring left after the defect removal stage. I believe that you have an older 8” tan finishing pad, which I have never used with this combination before. However it should work for this combination.

Keep in mind that M205 has similar abrasives to M105, so you have to keep the pad clean and fresh. Make sure the panel is clean, then apply M205 on a clean, primed pad. Work into the paint for about 6 passes (series of strokes covering the working area), 3 in each direction. Wipe off the residue an inspect. If M105 left a great finish, M205 should finish it out. If you notice a degradation in surface quality it might be that your paint will respond to a different finishing polish or a problem with the pad. If we can at least get M105 finish out near perfect, then we begin to single out the different problems that can occur during final polishing.

Best of luck!
              Let's make all of the cars shiny!

Comment

^That picture is not what I would typically describe as 'micro-marring' nor, in my experience, would that type of marring be covered by most typical glazes. 'Micro-marring', at least how I use the term, is often very fine, very frequent machine marks that often appear as a very light haze on the paint's surface. Because this particular type of marring is most often created by a variable speed random orbital or a dual-action polisher the marks tend to be tight, little circles. By comparison most swirl marks are longer, elongated scratches that only 'appear' circular when they radiate outwards from a light source.

In that picture*I* see straight line, swirl mark damage. Micro hazing would look like very fine, very little 'j-hooks' that would appear almost uniformly over the surface.
                The micro-marring is definitely there after M105 application, not so much after M205. That was probably a bad picture of it. The side to side is from my Final Swipe of the section, I need to work on that.

How exactly are you removing the polish residue? What type of cloth and technique are you using, and how does the surface look under lighting before you remove the residue? Again going on what little information I can discern from that picture, the damage does not look like it has been instilled during the mechanical polishing process. After you finish polishing a section, try using a a high quality microfiber, and wipe in a straight line motion, either up and down or left and right. See if this has any effect on the marring you are seeing.
                I am using Meguiars Supreme Shine Microfiber Towels. I wipe from side to side and up to down only. I also currently have 3 Yellow Polishing Pads and 2 Tan Finishing Pads.

Always work clean- Make sure that your pad is clean and free of polish residue, expelled paint, or any contamination. Make sure that the surface is free of any dust or dirt that could become stuck between the paint and pad and scratch the surface.

Massage the product through out the pad as much as possible. Then place the pad on the machine and turn it on. Using your finger, pressed into a cotton terry cloth, lightly scrub the pad from the inside out to remove excess product and moisture. Use this technique after each polishing application to help keep the pad from becoming contaminated. Add a little more polish to the primed pad.

I clean the foam pad after every other application. I have a very thick terry towel that I use to press the pad into and turn the machine on. This is how I've always cleaned it. How do I do it without taking a bath in the stuff? Especially after hours of working on it and scrubbing it with my fingers after every application? Also, I've never primed the pad. I don't have Final Inspection...could I also spray it with Ultimate Detailer or would it be wrong to mix products in this case as well? I don't have a simple spray bottle on hand to fill with water, I'll have to get one.
                99' FRC Corvette
                08' Sky RedLine

Comment

Okay - So now you have me dieing to see the end result! I am just getting ready to give my Vette the once over from scratch, using the 5-steps to get her back in shape, and I have learned many, many lessons from this thread. Please post pix when possible and tell me that it was all well worth it and that she gleems proudly!

Comment

Originally posted by BACNBLACK View Post
                    Okay - So now you have me dieing to see the end result! I am just getting ready to give my Vette the once over from scratch, using the 5-steps to get her back in shape, and I have learned many, many lessons from this thread. Please post pix when possible and tell me that it was all well worth it and that she gleems proudly!

You bet!

I think I'll be able to finish the actual buffing process with M105 today and start going over it with M205 with the finish pad. Since all of the swirls/scratches will be gone, I think that will go much much faster since I won't have to inspect every panel so closely. I can't wait to see it either once finished.
                    99' FRC Corvette
                    08' Sky RedLine

Comment

I feel your frustration, im to the point where meh, its fine being all swirled for now, ill detail it later!

Comment

What a great thread! It's packed with so much information and good advice.

I hope, Demon, you are able to accomplish the degree of paint correction you are striving for. It sure ain't easy, is it? Good luck!

Al
                        Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
                        --Al Kimel

Comment

Bounty

Since you have a lot of experience with Corvettes, what have you done to polish the areas that I've circled on these old photos I have of mine?

In this first image I am having a hard time getting in between the lights and above them on the rear. Also, as you know...the top of the rear bumper curves slightly outward. This is a pain to work around and I can't seem to polish those areas successfully.

In this second image, I'm having a hard time with another piece that curves a bit. Near the bottom of the door, that piece just above the lower sideskirt curves out a bit and eventually forms the brake ducts. I can't seem to get that polished either.

Are these types of areas something that should be buffed by hand or is there a "trick of the trade" that you guys use? All I have left to buff is the front bumper and hood. Then I'm going to work a section or two a few times to eliminate some long scratches I found. Then I can quickly go over the car with the M205 and take out what's left of the micro marring, or at least decrease it substantially like I've managed to do with my test spot. It looks like I will be buffing the mirrors and door handles by hand.
                          99' FRC Corvette
                          08' Sky RedLine

Comment

Ok, my neighbors officially think I am nuts now. It's 3:00 a.m. here but I just got in and figured I'd go out and take some pics and upload them before I forgot...

For the areas in the picture above you can do one of two things if you had a Porter Cable 7424:

Use an adaptor backing plate and a 4" CCS Spot Buff pad like this (use the DA, I'm just holding it up for size reference)...

Or you can use a German Foam Applicator (which has both an orange polishing side and a black finishing side) like this...

Unfortunately since you only have access to the much larger pads I would go hand application to be safe. Trying to manuever your G110 at odd angles to use just the edges or corners of pads can be dangerous to you, your machine, and your paint. I'd stick to a hand applicator that has some cutting ability.

In your second pic I would also attack the area with the smaller 4" Soft Buff pads. As you can see in these next two pics it's perfect for it...

and

But further back it's just too narrow and awkward a space to use a specific pad at a right angle. As such, here is where the bigger rounded-edge pads work well in that you can buff up to and adjust to the curve of the body line while buffing. It's hard to describe but you'll be able to feel where you can buff with the big pads and where you'll have to buff by hand or 4" pad. Here's an example of where the body curve is just too gradual and small for the 4" pad...

Hope this helps....and don't mind that the car is filthy, I just drove back in the rain. No swirls in the flash though and plenty of metallic flake and reflection so that's always nice...

Comment

Gotta love the dedication of the MOL community. Thanks for going the extra mile Bounty. Two big thumbs up

Comment

I tried finding the exact pads that you showed in your photos. I would like to work those areas by hand. I think I found the German Applicator pad that you mentioned, but can't find the other 4" softbuff black pad. For clarity, and for hopefully the benefit of anyone monitoring this thread:

Wolfgang German Polish N’ Wax Applicator

Where can I find the smaller 4" black pad that you mentioned? I assume it has more of a "cut" than the regular 4" wax applicator pads that Meguiars carries or like the one included in the NXT Tech Wax box right? I found Lake Country 4" pads, but they were to be used on the D/A Polisher. Does Meguiars carry either of these pads? I they do, I'd prefer to get those. Just making sure I didn't miss it, don't see them on their site.

Heading out for the week on a business trip, so I can get these ordered and hopefully have them here waiting for me when I get back. I might have had this done a couple weeks ago if I didn't have to leave for a week at a time!!

Originally posted by Mark Kleis View Post
                                Gotta love the dedication of the MOL community. Thanks for going the extra mile Bounty. Two big thumbs up
                                Seriously, you guys are amazing!
                                99' FRC Corvette
                                08' Sky RedLine

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');