• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

C5 Vette - 1st DA Use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: C5 Vette - 1st DA Use

Originally posted by Demon_C5 View Post
    Does Meguiars carry either of these pads? I they do, I'd prefer to get those. Just making sure I didn't miss it, don't see them on their site.
    At this time we don't offer anything smaller than our 6.5" buffing pads.

As for the hard to work areas, just tackle these by hand with either UC or M105 and a foam applicator pad.

Give the oval shaped applicator pad a try to see if it works for you, I found it too large to be practical for working out defects in small areas, for this I just use the normal foam applicator pads Meguiar's sells. The trick to working swirls and scratches out of hard to work areas is time. That is get comfortable by sitting down at a level so you're looking across from the area you're working and rub the paint out methodically and thoroughly.

Any of these should give you good cleaning/abrading power for working out swirls and scratches by hand,

M105
    Ultimate Compound
    ScratchX 2.0

Heck, I rubbed out each one of the louvers on this Mosler by hand using ScratchX 1.0 (I wish we had SMAT products out back then)

LSP applied (NXT in this case after machine cleaning and polishing)

LSP removed

Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

I purchased a few a while back from Autogeek but I believe they are the same. I prefer this aplicator to the regular Meg's yellow foam because of the added ability the cutting and finishing pad material gives you. Obviously when you work with the G110 you're using a polishing pad for the M105 and a finishing pad for the M205. Why should hand application be any different? This tool gives you that ability. Just take it nice and easy and remember that multiple passes will probably be required to acheive the desired results by hand...

Where can I find the smaller 4" black pad that you mentioned? I assume it has more of a "cut" than the regular 4" wax applicator pads that Meguiars carries or like the one included in the NXT Tech Wax box right? I found Lake Country 4" pads, but they were to be used on the D/A Polisher. Does Meguiars carry either of these pads? I they do, I'd prefer to get those. Just making sure I didn't miss it, don't see them on their site.
      As I stated above, with the Meg's machine you don't have access to using these tools, only PC owners. Perhaps you could borrow one locally from a friend or associate. If you were anywhere near me I would have just gone over and done it already...

Here's the link to the pads I used in the pics... http://autogeek.net/4inch-spot-buffs.html . Don't get too caught up in the colors I used as I just grabbed the first two out of my box. The varying "cut" and "bite" of the pads follows the standard Lake Country CCS coloring: yellow>orange>white>green>black>blue>red.

Heading out for the week on a business trip, so I can get these ordered and hopefully have them here waiting for me when I get back. I might have had this done a couple weeks ago if I didn't have to leave for a week at a time!!
      Your best bet is to hand polish the most difficult areas and try to "roll" your pad into the curved areas with the G110. If you can find a used PC7424 or someone to let you borrow one or trade or whatever you can go with the 4" buffing pads. But if not, you're stuck with the G110 and its limitations (large pads only).

Two other options would be these 6.5" pads from PAC which have a nice rolled edge with a constant-pressure foam backing to let you transition over those curves and apply adequate cutting power with the outer edges of the pad... http://www.properautocare.com/hi612infopaa.html . Another cool product they offer is basically the large CCS pads cut-down to hand applicators similar in size to the German Foam Applicator. They have all the colors (meaning cutting ratings) and are really cheap... http://www.properautocare.com/euhapoap.html . Sorry I couldn't be of more help but given the tools you are using it's really the best I can offer.

Seriously, you guys are amazing!
      Thanks...

Comment

Trying to manuever your G110 at odd angles to use just the edges or corners of pads can be dangerous to you, your machine, and your paint. I'd stick to a hand applicator that has some cutting ability.
        Your best bet is to hand polish the most difficult areas and try to "roll" your pad into the curved areas with the G110.
        Huh? This seems conflicting at first glance. I've tried running the buffer up slowly and pressing a bit harder to get it to kind of "roll" the pad over those area...but it doesn't really seem to work. When I finish and look at the spot again, it appears that it didn't do anything at all.

If you can find a used PC7424 or someone to let you borrow one or trade or whatever you can go with the 4" buffing pads. But if not, you're stuck with the G110 and its limitations (large pads only).
        I'll just stick with doing it by hand. I'm not going to run around trying to beg and borrow equipment to do it, and am certainly not going to buy another D/A or Rotary. I'll give it a shot with what I have currently and see how it works. There aren't really any scratches in those areas to work, just the hard swirls that blanketed the whole car. Surely I can eliminate those by hand with an Meguiars applicator pad and M105/M205/ScratchX/ColorX? I have all those already, hopefully one of them might work.

Those twin sided "German" type pads still look tempting, especially if they might provide a bit more cutting power.
        99' FRC Corvette
        08' Sky RedLine

Comment

Huh? This seems conflicting at first glance. I've tried running the buffer up slowly and pressing a bit harder to get it to kind of "roll" the pad over those area...but it doesn't really seem to work. When I finish and look at the spot again, it appears that it didn't do anything at all.
          Sorry....too many posts tend to scramble the brain!

What I was trying to say was the 6.5" pads I linked in the previous post have two unique features that allow you to do this. The first is the "constant pressure" foam backing. The second is the round beveled edge. The combination of the two allows you to get both effective pressure and "cut" at the ends of the pad and easily transition over the subtle body curves of a C5.

I would just stick with the hand application. The German Foam Applicator is relatively cheap and does have way more cutting ability than a standard Meguiar's applicator. Good luck and let show us the final results...

Comment

Have you tried the ColorX on your test section? I would like to see if it's going to finish off the hazing you have?
            Arizona Corvette Enthusiasts
            08 Atomic Orange Metallic C6 LS3 Z51 4LT
            98 Torch Red Convertible * SOLD
            82 Collector Edition * SOLD

Comment

You're not going to get very good results using the edges of a PC as you do not have the correct action to do any real correction IMHO. With a rotary you can do this albeit very carefully as the margin for error becomes dramatically smaller when you are using the edges on rotary due to the way this type of polisher works.

And others have already said, in tight areas the use of some UC or Scratch X should do you just fine with some elbow grease.

Comment

Originally posted by Desertdawg View Post
                Have you tried the ColorX on your test section? I would like to see if it's going to finish off the hazing you have?
                Not yet. I should be able to do the test either this Friday or Saturday. I'll try and remember to post some photos and tape off a section for a 50/50 comparison.

You're not going to get very good results using the edges of a PC as you do not have the correct action to do any real correction IMHO.
                Yeah, it definitely didn't do any good. I'll be doing those areas by hand. Hopefully I can find the pad I need at my local supply store...they seem to have everything else. Otherwise I'll have to work it in with a regular Meguiars applicator pad.
                99' FRC Corvette
                08' Sky RedLine

Comment

Wouldn't it be nice if car manufactures would demand from the paint suppliers, paint systems that the average person can work on?

It's seems like a no-brainer but as far as I can tell that's not a features they ever ask for and Corvettes have a bad reputation for paint that is just horrible to work on.

Mike Phillips
                  760-515-0444
                  showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

I agree Mike, I worked on a black C5 with dog claw scratches along the top of the door a couple of years ago.
                    3000 grit sand paper feathered out and you wouldn't believe the pressure I was applying with the rotary and M84 to get the sanding marks out...

I looked like this guy ---->

Comment

Finally got around to trying the ColorX today and HOLY ****!! It's dang near PERFECT. I put tape on the trunk and did a 50/50 and its just night and day. The black is just briliant and shiny, where the other half is cloudy/micromar swirled. This just is amazing.

I don't know if it fixed it or just covered it, but I have to be honest here...I don't really care. I need to get the car done (going on 7weeks here working on it) and will touch up the micromar stuff this coming winter when the car is off the roads for the season. Right now...its so much better its like a whole new paint job.

I think I may be able to finish the car this afternoon, or next weekend at the very latest. I just have the hood/front bumper to do with the 105, but I'm going to do the rest of the car right now with the ColorX and finish glaze/wax on all of it but those two areas. Then I have to back the car up a bit and do the front bumper/hood (small garage!!).

Guys...THANK YOU. Going to take photos real quick of the 50/50 job. Remember, it's not perfect...but it's good enough for now. I'll show a section that I was going to do by hand that is an example of the car untouched (going to pass on doing those hard areas for now). The car is so much better!!!

Back to work!
                      99' FRC Corvette
                      08' Sky RedLine

Comment

Finally got around to trying the ColorX today and HOLY ****!! It's dang near PERFECT. I put tape on the trunk and did a 50/50 and its just night and day. The black is just briliant and shiny, where the other half is cloudy/micromar swirled. This just is amazing.

I don't know if it fixed it or just covered it, but I have to be honest here...I don't really care. I need to get the car done (going on 7weeks here working on it) and will touch up the micromar stuff this coming winter when the car is off the roads for the season. Right now...its so much better its like a whole new paint job.

I think I may be able to finish the car this afternoon, or next weekend at the very latest. I just have the hood/front bumper to do with the 105, but I'm going to do the rest of the car right now with the ColorX and finish glaze/wax on all of it but those two areas. Then I have to back the car up a bit and do the front bumper/hood (small garage!!).

Guys...THANK YOU. Going to take photos real quick of the 50/50 job. Remember, it's not perfect...but it's good enough for now. I'll show a section that I was going to do by hand that is an example of the car untouched (going to pass on doing those hard areas for now). The car is so much better!!!

Back to work!
                        Glad I could be of some small assistance in getting your car to where you're satisfied with it! Be sure to post up some pics in a separate thread so everyone can enjoy your hard work...

Comment

Here is the before and after using ColorX.

I took a good look at it when I finished up today, and it looks like it didn't do much to cure the micromarring. However, it did restore the paint back to it's original shine and maybe it did fill it/lessen it a little bit.

This is good enough for this season though, need to get the car back out on the road. This winter, I will try and take the time to eliminate the micromarring completely. This is a good start though, and hey...it's only my first time.

I do have a question though. How in the world do you guys do this in only one or two days? It took me all day to just put on the ColorX, not even including front bumper/hood/rear bumper. I have to be doing something wrong, or just overdoing it.
                          99' FRC Corvette
                          08' Sky RedLine

Comment

Wow it does look better, I would still like to see a close up of whats left....

To do it in a day is just better use of the right products, and practice... You are way more patient than about 99% of all newbies out there, most go at it one or two quick passes and then they say it's so much better looking, then they spend the next 6 months trying to get to the level of perfection you have... Kudo's for ruining the bell curve.

I think from here on you will have it so much easier because you have already removed 95% of the defects, now you can pick a panel next month and finess it to perfection without the worry of trying to complete the entire car all at once...

One other thing I wanted to point out is that you are probably not creating more marring, what you are seeing is the deepest marks of what was already there, I saw this once before only what was left were just the deepsest scratchs, we were able to remove all of the small swirly's to a mirror finish, but left what looked like someone took a few grains of sand and wiped the paint one swipe... It took a rotary to remove those marks...

Once again, great work, and don't forget to post some more pictures of your hard work...

Comment

Time is up, setting a deadline to have this baby done by Friday afternoon so I can roll it out to our next car club meet.

Just have a few final questions.

1. My bottle of Meguiars Show Car Glaze has been sitting in my garage cabinet for nearly a year. It has been sitting there through 30-100F weather changes over that period. The consistency of it seems perfectly fine. Is it safe to use this product still?

2. What is the best process, using the G110 DA to apply Glaze?

Going to search the forum for answers on these questions. Thought I would post them up here to speed up answers in case I couldn't find any info.

Thanks!
                              99' FRC Corvette
                              08' Sky RedLine

Comment

Found some threads regarding the #7 Show Car Glaze. Going to use the G110 at Speed 3 with the Finishing Pad. I shouldn't let it dry like the wax procedure, but wipe it off immediately as I work each section.

I guess I just need to know if the product I've had sitting for a while can still be considered ok to use and if it should be "worked" as much as the M105/M205 (IE: left/right, up/down several passes) or just a steady slow left/right and wipe.
                                99' FRC Corvette
                                08' Sky RedLine

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');