• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

C5 Vette - 1st DA Use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: C5 Vette - 1st DA Use

Originally posted by Demon_C5 View Post
    Found some threads regarding the #7 Show Car Glaze. Going to use the G110 at Speed 3 with the Finishing Pad. I shouldn't let it dry like the wax procedure, but wipe it off immediately as I work each section.

I guess I just need to know if the product I've had sitting for a while can still be considered ok to use and if it should be "worked" as much as the M105/M205 (IE: left/right, up/down several passes) or just a steady slow left/right and wipe.
    Remember this step is not a defect removal step only a final finishing glaze to fill in any remaining unremoved defects and richen the gloss and jetting factor. I'd use a mild finishing pad via DA on speed 3 with very little pressure for four relatively quick passes per section (4 up and 4 across). As far as wiping and so forth is concerned, treat it like a polish rather than a wax...meaning don't let it dry on the surface to a haze and then try to buff off.

Comment

Originally posted by Bounty View Post
      Remember this step is not a defect removal step only a final finishing glaze to fill in any remaining unremoved defects and richen the gloss and jetting factor. I'd use a mild finishing pad via DA on speed 3 with very little pressure for four relatively quick passes per section (4 up and 4 across). As far as wiping and so forth is concerned, treat it like a polish rather than a wax...meaning don't let it dry on the surface to a haze and then try to buff off.
      Ah, great....should go quick then. Do you feel that the product in my possession will still be good for use?
      99' FRC Corvette
      08' Sky RedLine

Comment

that looks tons better! I am going to see if i can work on my car again and knock it out over the weekend!

Comment

Originally posted by Demon_C5 View Post
          Ah, great....should go quick then. Do you feel that the product in my possession will still be good for use?
          Well, I've had product that was bad when it arrived via UPS and others that have sat around forever and still worked well. I would unscrew the top and check consistency inside the bottle before and after thoroughly shaking it. You want to look for clumping, excessive watery texture, heavy caking, etc.

If the consistency is still good the product is worth a shot. You'll know right away while working it if it's bad or not. Although for the relatively cheap price of a bottle of #7, you could just grab another.

Comment

Bought new Show Car Glaze, and it's not working right. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. Seems to "grab" cloth on final wipe. Seems to "smear" when you run your hand across finish. Wiping with cloth is making bad swirls. Finish pad is clean. Cloth is clean.

Am I using too much product?

Am I overworking the product?
            99' FRC Corvette
            08' Sky RedLine

Comment

Ah man, this polish is destroying all my work. What the heck is going on here.

Used a clean brand new foam applicator right out of the box, and it pit swirls all over the test spot.
              99' FRC Corvette
              08' Sky RedLine

Comment

#7 has a learning curve (and I'm still learning!).

The key is to apply #7 thin and not to allow it to dry. Massage it into the paint surface, one section/panel at a time, and immediately remove it with a clean microfiber towel. But you need not remove the entire layer of glaze on the first try. #7 tends to "skin," like homemade pudding. You remove a layer of skin, thus exposing the pudding underneath, which will then begin to skin again. Move on to the next panel, returning to the previous panel sometime later. I usually return to the "previous" panel immediately following the "first" panel, but others come back to the previous panels after they have glazed the entire car. Does that make sense?

The important thing is not to let #7 dry and be prepared to go back over the polished panels for a second buffing.

Al
                Last edited by akimel; May 7, 2009, 07:52 PM. Reason: Clarification of application/removal method
                Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
                --Al Kimel

Comment

I'm not sure what's going on with the foam applicator pad causing swirls, but I'm reading some good information on the #7 Show Car Glaze. Some of this stuff would have been good to know before I started applying it, as it gave me quite a shock.

It's far more oil based than I understood, and apparently keeps the finish sort of "wet" and is how it maintains that wet look. It just doesn't last as long as traditional waxes. This is what caused the "smearing" I was seeing, although I'm not sure why it appeared to be causing a few swirls. I'll have to look closer and see if they were actually caused during that test spot. Also, being hard to remove is somewhat normal...but it shouldn't be really hard to remove, which is a sign of too much product.

I thought I was suppose to wipe it off immediately, but I guess that's not the case. I'm suppose to do the whole car, then wipe it all down lightly to remove the film...wait for the product to develop a new film as exposed to air and wipe again? Do this a few times going all the way around the car each "pass"?

This is the article I'm reading, apparently written by Mike Phillips?? Please let me know if any of this information has changed.

I'm not sure what to do at this point, I just don't have the time to learn a new product to get this car done TOMORROW. Most likely, I'm going to try and take M205 over those test spots I did and try to get those darn swirls back out. Then I'm going to just get out the Tech Wax and finish it.

EDIT: Thank you akimel, looks like you posted while I was whipping this up!
                  99' FRC Corvette
                  08' Sky RedLine

Comment

Demon, here's my method for applying #7 to vehicles when working by hand:

1. I use a Meg's foam applicator and apply a thin layer over the car one panel at a time. By thin I mean as thin as it takes to cover the panel. Not as much product as even a wax application. Even thinner...

2. Once the entire car is done I put away everything but the microfibers. Come back with a clean microfiber and use approximately one towel per two or maybe three panels. Break the "firm film build" on the surface and nothing more.

3. Repeat this process once an hour twice more and leave the car in the garage till morning.

4. Come out the next morning and give it a final wipedown and then you can apply your LSP of choice.

If being applied by DA use a few drops on a red or black CCS finishing pad or a microfiber bonnet and work a quick no pressure pass on speed 2 or 3 over a large area. I find it actually comes out a bit thinner and cleaner this way then by hand.

It does require a lot more work than other polishes or glazes such as Wolfgang's Paintwork Polish Enhancer or Meguiar's Deep Crystal Polish but produces wetter results and you already had it in your possession. Now, those results will last all of two or three washes so it's up to you to decide whether that is worth it or not. Judging by the condition of the paint in your last picture after ColorX you may want to cap the car with two coats of NXT 2.0 and be done with it.

Will the #7 give you that last 10%? Sure...but it will last a few weeks/washes and then be gone. Given the time, effort, and money you've invested and the growing stress and frustration I'd say put down everything and just apply the NXT 2.0 to the car. Just like with mechanics sometimes it's better to step away for a bit. You can always apply the #7 somewhere down the road. Wax it and enjoy the looks and finish....

Comment

Given the time, effort, and money you've invested and the growing stress and frustration I'd say put down everything and just apply the NXT 2.0 to the car. Just like with mechanics sometimes it's better to step away for a bit. You can always apply the #7 somewhere down the road. Wax it and enjoy the looks and finish....
                      Thank you, this is exactly what I'm going to do. It's always hard for me to pull away from things...but I think it's time.

Going to do a quick rebuff on the test spot and put the #7 away for now. I'll work with it this winter to develop my skills with it and keep it handy for car shows only, per its intended use.

Any ideas on why the wax applicator caused the swirls, that was odd. I'll inspect it really well tomorrow and see why it did that.

Stay tuned...pictures this weekend! Finally!!
                      99' FRC Corvette
                      08' Sky RedLine

Comment

Give the test spot a spray with some glass cleaner after using your #7. This will remove the oils from #7 and show you the true condition of the paint. If you see the swirls that you saw after you used your foam pad to apply #7 then you know they are *true* swirls. Sometimes #7 won't remove completely and your towel marks in the remaining #7 can look like scratches or swirls. Did that make sense?

You may also see this after using NXT if you don't remove it completely. The product will smear a little and it can look like halograms or swirls in the paint.

I just read through this entire thread by the way. Great read and I'm glad you are getting it all dialed in. Corvettes are indeed some of the most difficult cars to buff in my experience. Very hard paint yet very scratch sensitive at the same time....go figure! I have yet to finish one down with #205 but I remember #9 being one of the few products I could get to finish down marr free with a DA in the past. The first Corvette I did was a black C5. I think I spent over an hour just on my test spot trying to dial in a program that worked.

On a side note, I did just finish an 07 Audi (Way hard paint also) with #205. It took me a little time to get it dialed in but once I did I was amazed at how crisp and clear the paint was. Something I don't ever remember seeing finishing with a DA. Pretty amazing product IMO.

Again, way to stick in there and not give up. The first one is always the most challenging and I commend you for hanging in there on one of the toughest of the tough, Black vette.
                        Jason

Comment

The car is just about finished, all I have left is some detail work and a LOT of cleanup.

One major problem...My G110 DA failed on me just now. It won't start at all. All I have left on the entire car is the hood. Need to get it buffed with M105, apply ColorX, and NXT Tech Wax. I am forced to do it by hand now, and I have my doubts that I'm going to be able to get it done at all. I wasn't able to produce any good results with M105 on my test spot.

So the G110 is out of commission and I didn't even get to finish one car. Maybe it's something simple? I was applying the Tech Wax with it and was just getting the whole car done. It seemed like it was slowing down a bit, so I turned it off and checked to make sure it was still plugged in all the way. It wouldn't start back up. Seems to me that the motor has failed. It was never hot, it never had a smell to it.

Any ideas?
                          99' FRC Corvette
                          08' Sky RedLine

Comment

Call customer support immediately.
                            Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
                            --Al Kimel

Comment

Getting a new G110 on the way. Awesome customer support.

Now to get this badboy finished, I made a mess while detailling and have to figure out how to get some dried up residue from the products off the car. Didn't tape it up as well a I thought. Another lesson learned.
                              99' FRC Corvette
                              08' Sky RedLine

Comment

10 days later and no further updates.... ?
                                Arizona Corvette Enthusiasts
                                08 Atomic Orange Metallic C6 LS3 Z51 4LT
                                98 Torch Red Convertible * SOLD
                                82 Collector Edition * SOLD

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');