• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A list of supplies, need help...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A list of supplies, need help...

Hello everyone

Im trying to get a head start on my detailing "empire". I first want to get a small van and get my mobile detailing business going before I open an official store front shop.

Im a bit torn however, What do you guys have in your van? Equipment wise?
    I have all the cleaners, polishes etc. I just need an idea of what kind of equipment. Generator, water pumps etc. Any website where I could order it from would be great, or just some info as well.

Thanks
    Max

PS
    I know there are a lot of threads on this, but not specifically about equipment. So any help would be great.

Re: A list of supplies, need help...

Have you read this by our own Superior Shine! This should help you out.

Mobile Detailing

Also try to pick Nick Chapmans brain a little. Both are successful mobile detailers.

Andy
    Keeping MOL family friendly! If you need help or have a question, don't hesitate to shoot me an email or PM. 101impala@gmail.com
    Andy M. Moderator

Comment

Fergy-

You're only as good as your last detail

Comment

Here's one of Nick's threads with photos of his van setup... The van
        Scott

Comment

that is not fair, I think Nick is an extreme mobile detailer..IMO
          Fergy-

You're only as good as your last detail

Comment

I was more curious as to names of generators, types etc. There are so many different brand names, some ideal for mobile detailing and some not to the task.
            The last thing I would want is to buy something and find out it wont fit, its to loud, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by MrCLRider View Post
              that is not fair, I think Nick is an extreme mobile detailer..IMO
              LOL! Is that like Extreme Skiing, or Extreme Skydiving?

Couple of tips that I learned the hard way. Buy the generator LAST! Figure out the power rating on the equipment you'll be running, and buy your generator with that info. If you're only using small power tools, and a vacuum, then you really don't need much of a generator. Using things like a heated carpet extractor that requires 20 amps, and you'll need a larger generator.

Also, unless you're doing things in a parking lot, where there is no power available, then you really won't need a generator. I use mine about 10% of the time. Very rarely am I required to use my generator.

Nick
              2008 Meguiar's Batmobile Team
              2008 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team
              2009 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team
              2010 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team

Comment

Ah, so you use the power from the clients house then?

Comment

Originally posted by Fischer View Post
                  Ah, so you use the power from the clients house then?
                  Yes sir! Only time I have to fire up my generator, is when I'm extracting carpets. My extractor is a 20 amp unit, and most homes are on 15 amp circuits. If I had a 15 amp extractor, I would rarely, and I mean very rarely, ever have to fire up my generator.

Nick
                  2008 Meguiar's Batmobile Team
                  2008 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team
                  2009 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team
                  2010 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Chapman View Post
                    Yes sir! Only time I have to fire up my generator, is when I'm extracting carpets. My extractor is a 20 amp unit, and most homes are on 15 amp circuits. If I had a 15 amp extractor, I would rarely, and I mean very rarely, ever have to fire up my generator.

Nick
                    I pondered that before I purchased my generator, but figured that with hurricane season (cringe!) coming up and having been without power for 5 days straight a few years back I would feel better having one even if I end up not using it for detailing much. At the time I had 3 fish tanks totalling 140 gallons, several hundred dollars in tropical fish and couldn't do a darn thing to save them. Lost them all after a few days. (either died or got too sick to recover) Have since sold the tanks, but I missed not having some sort of tv, cold and hot food and a little light to keep from stubbing my toes in the middle of the night getting up to go to the bathroom.

Now even with a power outage I can still polish something too!

Comment

Originally posted by Andy M. View Post
                      Have you read this by our own Superior Shine! This should help you out.

Mobile Detailing

Also try to pick Nick Chapmans brain a little. Both are successful mobile detailers.

Andy
                      Excellent resource! I have this link bookmarked.

Also see these links:

Starting Your Own Detail Business

*Review* Tools of the Trade!

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');