• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Clay Bar Believer!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clay Bar Believer!!!

I recently purchased a Silver 2001 Toyota Tacoma for my 17 year old son. It was in great condition but, the paint was really GRITTY. So, I did like any car nerd and looked online for "how to's" and low and behold almost every article discussed using a CLAY bar. So, I went to my local retail store and found the Meguiars Clay Bar Kit. Then my son and I proceeded to work the clay bar on the hood and BINGO the paint became silky smooth like glass and like a little school kid with a new trick I took the bar from my son and did the whole car. We then used the car wax cleaner and it became smoother. Finally, some high end Meguiars wax and it shines like NEW!!!!! I was so amazed I am thinking about taking a day off from work to do my truck and my wifes Nissan. THANK YOU Meguiars for a great product. The down side is I used a little too much of the Quik Detailing lubricant spray and have to find some more. HIGHLY recommend this product to any car enthusiast.
    RGCurtis
    U.S. Navy Silent Service
    RG Curtis
    U.S. Navy Silent Service

Re: Clay Bar Believer!!!

To be honest, the clay bar is what got me hooked quite awhile ago. A friend of mine turned me onto the "clay bar" and the rest was history. I started searching the internet looking for different products and the technique to use those products. I found Meguiarsonline and never looked back.

Oh yeah, seeing as this is your first post, Welcome to MOL!

Andy M.
    Keeping MOL family friendly! If you need help or have a question, don't hesitate to shoot me an email or PM. 101impala@gmail.com
    Andy M. Moderator

Comment

I just clayed my 16 year old Civic which had never seen a clay bar before. Could not believe the difference it made on the smoothness of the paint. I only used half a 50 gram bar and probably could have saved it for another claying had I not clayed the windows too. Too gritty after that.

Comment

They are amazing my first clay bar was a meg clay bar..you can by the waterless wash as a lube as well or quick detailer...

Comment

How do you get the most use out of the claybar? That is, how can you "max it out" before having to throw it away? I'm a skeptic when it comes to this clay method, but as I read more and more testimonials, I think I need to try it.

Comment

To be honest, if you're skeptical, try it. Personally, it has what I would call the biggest WOW effect of any product I have used. The difference is instantly noticeable (at least on my paint it was).
            The best way to extend your clay, don't drop it. If you do, it's garbage as it instantly picks up all kinds of grit off the ground.

It's best to cut the bar in half and use it half at a time, that way if you drop one, you don't lose the whole thing in one shot.

Jamie
            Last edited by JamieR; Apr 20, 2009, 06:57 PM. Reason: bad grammar.....

Comment

When I started out, I worked over a piece of carboard, so it wouldnt fall on the ground and need thrown out.

You can do the glass/paint with your clay, then do your wheels, then do exhaust tips, etc. Once it is on the wheels/exhaust area, no more back up on the paint.

And if your car is in good shape, you can usualy do the paint more than once with it.
              2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

I love clay, and it really is one of the biggest WOW products you can use! My dad thought it was pointless and after I did the hood of his car, had him feel it, and then showed him the things it took off he couldnt stop talking about it all night and he isnt a car guy in the least!

If you are even curious you should give it a shot, if you detail for business then you clay wont last to long as some cars need a really good claying but if its just for you and you keep up your car then the clay kit can last longer than you would think.

really I like what Murr said, starting using it on paint and downgrading it each time, I think this is what I will do now thanks!

Comment

I keep dedicated clay bars for paint, windows, chrome, wheels, and exhaust and underbody.
                  Nick
                  Tucker's Detailing Services
                  815-954-0773
                  2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

Folks wanting to know how to use the clay bar properly may find this video helpful:

Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
                    --Al Kimel

Comment

Reminds me of the first time I tried claying a car. Really wasn't expecting much of an improvement. Was I ever that wrong...

Comment

Believe in the Clay! I noticed the Mild Meg's Clay (blue) is another great purchase after buying the startup kit. After using it my truck i almost slipped off the hood trying to wax it! Now i just need a gal. of the QD
                        "Every moment frontin and maxin
                        Chillin in the car they spent all day waxin
                        "

Comment

Okay, this is RG and I started this "CLAY" post....well I just did my wifes 2005 Nissan Maxima....and HOLY COW I am soooooo hooked. The next clay venture is my 2002 Chevy 1500. Then (drum roll) my 1978 Dodge Aspen. Yes, I said 1978. It was my great grandmothers and she willed it to my grandmother who willed it to me. My wife thinks it is an ugly car and has no potential. I think it is a diamond in the rough. I did a small part of the hood tonight and my wife thinks it might just be that diamond I speak of. I will try to post pictures throughout the process. My goal is to use only Meguiars products and post the before & after pictures online. Wish me luck. Oh, for the skeptic in the crowd.....STOP being skeptic....take the leap. I did, and will never go without a CLAY BAR in my detailing toolbox.

RG Curtis
                          U.S. Navy Silent Service
                          RG Curtis
                          U.S. Navy Silent Service

Comment

Take the plunge....you know what they say...."Once you go CLAY you will always STAY."
                            RG Curtis
                            U.S. Navy Silent Service

Comment

Ok... I'm a believer!!! I read everyone posts and was a bit skeptical about claying. I doubt I would have tried claying if it weren't for Mike's video above which described my issue and circumstance exactly. So I decided to try it today and it worked as advertised and was much easier then I anticipated.

Background: Three months ago I bought a new Formula Black Acura MDX. After getting it home from the dealership, I noticed that ALL the horizontal surfaces felt rough to the touch. I washed it & used hand cleaner wax, polish and wax with no improvement to the surface feel & reflection. I read everyones comments last night and decided to take the afternoon off to see if I claying made the difference. It made all the difference! After claying, I followed it up with a G110 DA, Speed Glaze 80, Ultra Finishing Polish 205, NXT Tech Wax 2.0 & Ultimate Quick Detailer. Needless to say, the end result was nothing short of amazing. I finally have a black MDX that looks new like it should have leaving the dealer.

One question: What Megauiars products would you guys have used post-clay? I did my best to come up with a recipe of products based upon the info from the website, but is there something else you guys would have used to make a black finish pop?

Thanks to all for your great comments and direction. - G

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');