• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

oxidized r.v

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oxidized r.v

Hello I have a 1988 Allegro R.V and cleaned the aluminum exterior with clorox clean-up with bleach that seemed to work great but now I have oxidation to deal with how do I clean it off easily?

Re: oxidized r.v

If you're real lucky it's just light oxidation and a quality cleaner/wax will do the job. By using a cleaner/wax you can clean, polish and wax in one step and that's the "easily" part of it.

If it's in bad condition it will probably take at least two steps to fix the problem.

How long is your RV?

Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

M50 comes in both a 16 ounce bottle and a 64 ounce jug.

M50 One Step Cleaner/Wax

You can apply this by hand or machine...

Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Thanks for the response my r.v is 34feet long and hopefully I can just brush something on and wash off it's kind of a large job to scrub or compound it.

Comment

Hmm.. is it bare metal? Just curious if the M50 or other cleaner/waxes are generally used for that?
          2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

It,s white painted metal.

Comment

Are you talking about an oxidized aluminum RV or an oxidized Fiberglas Gel-Coat RV?

Mike Phillips
              760-515-0444
              showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by jl61sp View Post
                It,s white painted metal.
                Okay so the white paint is oxidized? It's chalky looking?

Mike Phillips
                760-515-0444
                showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Thanks for the response my r.v is 34feet long and hopefully I can just brush something on and wash off it's kind of a large job to scrub or compound it.
                  If you have chalky, oxidized paint, there's nothing you can brush on and hose off that will make it look new and waxed again, at least nothing by Meguiar's.

I suggested a cleaner/wax with a stellar reputation for doing a great job in one step and that's because my folks own a 40' Motorhome and I understand most RV owners don't want to do multiple steps to the outside of the RV.

Mike Phillips
                  760-515-0444
                  showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Thank you,can I buy this at any auto store or r.v parts supplier?If not where can I buy this?

Comment

I am sure it is a little specialized, here is a link online:

You could also check the Dealer Locater link on the right side of the main page. Just be sure to call before you go.
                      2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Thank you,can I buy this at any auto store or r.v parts supplier?If not where can I buy this?
                        If you have an O'Reilly's auto parts store near you, check with them. They have several warehouses in the Southeast and they can probably order it for you so you can just go pick it up at the store. Hope this helps!
                        Shane
                        1995 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera SL

If you trim yourself to fit the world you'll whittle yourself away. - Aaron Tippin

Comment

Besides the two suggestions above you can check for a local Marine Supply Store or possibly an RV Supply Store.

If you see just one Meguiar's product on the shelves but not M50, chances are very good they can order it for you.

Also note, when working on an oxidized surface, you need to work the product somewhat aggressively in order to remove the oxidation.

You can't just apply and smear it around and then wipe it off. Part of the cleaning action of a cleaner wax comes from the cleaners in the wax, the other part comes from you and the passion you put behind the pad.

Also, when restoring an oxidized surface you want to tackle small sections at a time, about a 16" to 20" square. You work this area with the cleaner wax really well and the allow the wax to set-up and dry. As it's setting up and drying you move onto the next section and be sure to overlap into the previous section. Overlapping your sections insures all the paint is equally cleaned and polished so your entire RV will look good when you're done.

If the panels are fairly flat then you could buff this RV out with a DA Polisher and possibly an orbital buffer since it's a single stage paint.

Machine Photos - DA Polishers - Rotary Buffers - Traditional Orbital Buffers

Mike Phillips
                          760-515-0444
                          showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');