• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to create a dark sheen on flat black plastic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to create a dark sheen on flat black plastic

How to create a dark sheen on flat black plastic

Flat black looks cool when it's used to accent components rear window louvers on this Mustang. There are two problems with flat black surfaces

1) Over time the the flat black appearance becomes dull and loses it's dark sheen.

2) There's nothing really on the market targeted and the variety of different flat black components to restore and maintain their appearance.

Part of the problem is the material or the coating that makes up whatever the flat black component is varies greatly from from a thin vinyl tape used for graphics, to flat black paint used to paint components and flat black plastic which is where the pigment is throughout the entire plastic matrix of the component.

Meguiar's doesn't make a product specific to flat black surfaces just like no one else does, at least at the time stamp of the post. When left without options, a car crazy enthusiast has to take what they can get if it's shows to actually help, (solve the problem, and not harm, (cause a problem).

Meguiar's Gold Class Trim Detailer is for restoring and maintaining rubber, plastic and vinyl trim, so while it's not specifically for these louvers and the material they are made out of, it does work pretty good.

The way to use it is to gently massage this product onto the surface using a clean, soft foam applicator pad, somewhat like you would rub skin lotion onto our face. Allow to penetrate for a few minutes and then softly wipe all surfaces down with a clean microfiber to remove any excess residue off the surface.

The results are a deep, dark black sheen...

Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Re: How to create a dark sheen on flat black plastic

used product last friday on a 03 Focus. Used it on the mirrors and door handles, AMAZING stuff.
    Fergy-

You're only as good as your last detail

Comment

Just curious, does this product wash off in the rain? I've tried similar products from other companies only to be left with black water streaks down my doors.

Would UQW also work on this type plastic?
      NOTE: Post count does not reflect actual detailing knowledge.

Comment

Originally posted by ColonelCash View Post
        Just curious, does this product wash off in the rain? I've tried similar products from other companies only to be left with black water streaks down my doors.

Would UQW also work on this type plastic?
        It's not a perfect solution but as mentioned in the thread, there's not anything really made for this kind of thing...

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
        There are two problems with flat black surfaces

1) Over time the the flat black appearance becomes dull and loses it's dark sheen.

2) There's nothing really on the market targeted and the variety of different flat black components to restore and maintain their appearance.

Besides that, it also says,

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post

The way to use it is to gently massage this product onto the surface using a clean, soft foam applicator pad, somewhat like you would rub skin lotion onto our face.

Allow to penetrate for a few minutes and then softly wipe all surfaces down with a clean microfiber to remove any excess residue off the surface.

Microfiber is excellent at removing liquids off surfaces, this includes removing trace residues off the surface. If you apply this type of product heavily and don't remove all the excess residue then if it rains the excess will run off with the rain.

Again, Gold Class Trim Detailer isn't made specifically for this type of project so use at your own discretion. One thing for sure, the driver's side looks better than the passenger side.

The owner was happy too as he's been struggling with finding a product to do exactly what we did this night to his louvers... he has the paint covered, notice how glossy it looks? (NXT Tech Wax), so his car looked mostly great, there was just a few sections that needed to be amped up to to look as nice as the paint.

Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

GC Trim Detailer is definitly a good product. How long do you think it will take until he has to re apply the product on his Mustang?
          Nick
          Tucker's Detailing Services
          815-954-0773
          2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

Originally posted by Tuck91 View Post
            GC Trim Detailer is definitely a good product. How long do you think it will take until he has to re apply the product on his Mustang?
            Good question...

He's pretty passionate about his Mustang, he belongs to a local Mustang club...

My guess is he actively maintains his car and he'll be applying more dressing before the louvers degrade back to where they were in the before pictures. He'll probably apply a coat of wax before the other coat is completely worn off.

See the pattern?

Mike Phillips
            760-515-0444
            showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

How would the new Supreme Shine work for this application?
              Barry

Comment

Great post Mike!

I've never used Gold Class Trim Detailer. Does it compare directly to any of the dressings in the detailer line?
                Scott

Comment

Originally posted by Poki View Post
                  How would the new Supreme Shine work for this application?
                  Probably not very good. One of the things that's nice about the Trim Detailer for this kind of application is it comes in a rich lotion which makes it easy to apply and work in and then penetrate.

A spray on liquid is going to be harder to control and the chemicals are going to be different so to be honest I don't know if it would work or not but I would choose Trim Detailer for this types of applications first.

There's also an aerosol product like Trim Detailer in our Consumer Line called Exterior Trim Coating and we should have tried it too but once we got going with Trim Detailer that's the course we stayed on.

Originally posted by BlueZero View Post
                  I've never used Gold Class Trim Detailer. Does it compare directly to any of the dressings in the detailer line?
                  I'd have to check on that, you could probably use Hyper Dressing and get the same dark sheen.

Mike Phillips
                  760-515-0444
                  showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

I have the aerosol Trim Detailer. Would you recommend spraying it on, then wiping off? Or should we also use an applicator pad to massage it in?

Comment

Originally posted by Honda Fit View Post
                      I have the aerosol Trim Detailer. Would you recommend spraying it on, then wiping off? Or should we also use an applicator pad to massage it in?
                      Actually the aerosol product does a pretty good job of atomizing over the surface to form an even coating, so I would try just spraying it on, allowing it to penetrate for a few minutes and then wipe any excess off the surface being treated and any overspray off the paint. It wont' hurt paint and wipes off paint real easy as a design feature in the formula.

You could try both ways and go with the one that works best and looks best in your eyes.

Mike Phillips
                      760-515-0444
                      showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

I own a Toyota FJ.
                        It has a fair amount of plastic on it.
                        I assume the Gold Class Trim Detailer would work well on the black plastic parts.
                        2008 Toyota FJ
                        1997 BMW 328i

Comment

I have to say GC Trim Detailer is my favourite product for detailing exterior unpainted plastics. It is unbelievably efficient, easy to apply and doesn't leave an oily residue. It is so good I'm often asked if bumpers on my car are painted. The answer is "no" - they are simply treated with Trim Detailer.

Comment

Originally posted by 10Fore View Post
                            I own a Toyota FJ.
                            It has a fair amount of plastic on it.
                            I assume the Gold Class Trim Detailer would work well on the black plastic parts.
                            Should work fine. The product can be hard to find on store shelves so if you're looking for some call Customer Care at 1-800-347-5700 and they may be able to help you.

Mike Phillips
                            760-515-0444
                            showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

i love the gold class trim detailer..however there is one other product i love to use for dressing exterior trim like this...and thats M40.
                              Addicted

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');