• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brake Dust Embedded into my Rims

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake Dust Embedded into my Rims

What product do you recommend that will get embedded brake dust out of Panther Rims?
    Any help will be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks!
    WILDFOXSR

Re: Brake Dust Embedded into my Rims

What is the surface they made of? Chrome, aluminum, paint/clearcoat?
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Originally posted by wildfoxsr View Post
      What product do you recommend that will get embedded brake dust out of Panther Rims?
      Any help will be greatly appreciated!
      Thanks!
      Depending on the type of wheel (clearcoated, anodized, chrome, etc) I would suggest a thorough cleaning followed by a clay bar. You'll be amazed how much the clay will remove from the surface of the wheels. Just be sure to properly seal or wax after claying to protect the finish and help guard against future contamination. Regular cleaning is your friend here to prevent brake dust from settling and embedded...

Comment

Let us know what wheels you have. If your not sure, contact the wheel manufacturer to determine what they are so we can better help you

Keep us posted!
        Philippians 2:14 - Do all things without grumbling or questioning,

Comment

Thanks guys , I don't remember , so monday I will call and fine out an post up. Thanks again
          WILDFOXSR

Comment

Here's the type of rims I have on my truck. Chrome Plated Aluminum.Better to answer my question about Brake Dust Embedded into my Rims. Thanks again
            WILDFOXSR

Comment

OK.

So for chrome, you can start by giving a good washing with a dedicated cleaner. You could use the Hot Rims Aluminum or Hot Rims All Wheel Cleaners, but they also make a Hot Rims Chrome Wheel Cleaner. So you would spray that on, and agitate with a soft brush, even a soft tooth brush.

Then you can clay them, like you would paint. Just use an old piece of clay, or a new one that you are not going to use on paint/glass ever again.

Afte that, you can use a metal or chrome polish. Thee is a Hot Rims Mag and Aluminum polish that would work, or you could use the Hot Rims Chrome Polish.

Of course the Chrome products are chrome only, where the other products could have other uses.

Some pics to see how bad it is would help, but those are the first 3 recomended steps.
              2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Thanks, Murr1525 I'll try an get a pic or two tom. Thanks again
                WILDFOXSR

Comment

I've uploaded Pics of the rims to my gallery.

Thanks,
                  wildfoxsr
                  WILDFOXSR

Comment

Originally posted by wildfoxsr View Post
                    I've uploaded Pics of the rims to my gallery.

Thanks,
                    wildfoxsr
                    You should post them here too

How to place a picture into your message
                    Digital cameras are GREAT! But if you don't know how to get your pictures off your computer and into your messages nobody's going to ever get to see your really cool pictures.
                    Working with photos on discussion forums

Did it for you

Comment

Chrome is very, very, very hard
                      Really the only thing you can do is to polish them up and let the shine hide the problems

Comment

On a few occassions I've used Brasso. Definately be sure to test a spot first...

On the bottle is says to avoid some metals, but I've tested tons and never had a problem...

Its like $3 a bottle, and works really well from my experience... might give it a shot...

-Rick

Comment

Thanks Maserati Mario for posting My rims. Thanks to all who answered my thread, about Brake Dust (Rims)Will do some cleaning the truck this week In If it doesn't rain 30% that it might rain. Will post up the results. Thank's Again TOO All.
                          WILDFOXSR

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');