• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Orange Peel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Orange Peel

Hi, will 3000 grit wet sanding get rid of orange peel?

Its my first time doing it so I don't want to get too aggressive. Is 3000 grit dangerous for a beginner at all?

how would i sand concave surfaces? just press a foam pad down into it?

Also, is 3000 grit safe to use near or on the edges? I got a cheap spot bumper repair with lots of orange peel. they aren't willing to fix it because the price of the bumper repair isnt enough to pay for a new coat of paint in case they fail. they taped it off at the edges. Is it safe to try smoothing that out or is it better to leave it alone.

will hand compounding with 3M rubbing compound get rid of sanding scratches?

Re: Orange Peel

What are you working on?
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

a bumper spot repair with orange peel

Comment

Sorry to be negative, but....

"...will 3000 grit wet sanding get rid of orange peel?"
        Not really. #3000 is meant for removing sanding scratch caused by coarser abrasives. To remove OP from a topcoat you'd typically use something between #1000 and #1500.

"Its my first time doing it so I don't want to get too aggressive. Is 3000 grit dangerous for a beginner at all?"
        Any and all sanding is dangerous for a beginner. One should practice a lot before working on anything you care about.

"how would i sand concave surfaces? just press a foam pad down into it?"
        Yes, it's typically done with flexible backing pads.

"Also, is 3000 grit safe to use near or on the edges?"
        See second answer above, only a lot worse.

"I got a cheap spot bumper repair with lots of orange peel. they aren't willing to fix it because the price of the bumper repair isnt enough to pay for a new coat of paint in case they fail. they taped it off at the edges. Is it safe to try smoothing that out or is it better to leave it alone."
        Impossible to say. But if the guys who did it think it's too thin to withstand sanding, I'd believe them.

"will hand compounding with 3M rubbing compound get rid of sanding scratches?"
        Maybe, eventually, in theory. Practically? Probably not.

If you decide to try be prepared to start over with a full sand and repaint from scratch.

pc.

Comment

If they think there is a possibility of the paint not being thick enough then I definitely would not try it unless you are willing to pay to get your bumper repainted if you mess up

I once put swirls in my paint just to see what it looked like.

I don't always detail cars, but when I do, I prefer Meguiar's.
          Remove swirls my friends.

Comment

Originally posted by the other pc View Post
            Sorry to be negative, but....

"...will 3000 grit wet sanding get rid of orange peel?"
            Not really. #3000 is meant for removing sanding scratch caused by coarser abrasives. To remove OP from a topcoat you'd typically use something between #1000 and #1500.

"Its my first time doing it so I don't want to get too aggressive. Is 3000 grit dangerous for a beginner at all?"
            Any and all sanding is dangerous for a beginner. One should practice a lot before working on anything you care about.

"how would i sand concave surfaces? just press a foam pad down into it?"
            Yes, it's typically done with flexible backing pads.

"Also, is 3000 grit safe to use near or on the edges?"
            See second answer above, only a lot worse.

"I got a cheap spot bumper repair with lots of orange peel. they aren't willing to fix it because the price of the bumper repair isnt enough to pay for a new coat of paint in case they fail. they taped it off at the edges. Is it safe to try smoothing that out or is it better to leave it alone."
            Impossible to say. But if the guys who did it think it's too thin to withstand sanding, I'd believe them.

"will hand compounding with 3M rubbing compound get rid of sanding scratches?"
            Maybe, eventually, in theory. Practically? Probably not.

If you decide to try be prepared to start over with a full sand and repaint from scratch.

pc.

Were've you been Paul?

Comment

Most times you can smooth out the peel with a rotary and a compound,always begin with your least aggressive pad and compound!!
              roger

Comment

Anyone here find most new cars today start off with orange peel ? New paint mixtures ?

Comment

all paint has some degree of orange peal

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');