• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Microfiber towel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microfiber towel

How to wash microfiber towel? is the warm water good for it?

i think just put it into a warm water for 1 hour is it ok? or there a better way?
    1995 Mustang GT 5 speed -Sold-
    1996 Mustang GT 5 speed -Sold-
    1999 Camaro Z28 6 Speed -Sold-
    2005 Grand Marquis LS

Re: Microfiber towel

I use warm to hot water and APC as the detergent.
    Remember No Fabric Softener or Bleach.
    Joel
    Firefighter/EMT-B
    Rejuvenation Auto Detailing
    "Satisfaction Guaranteed or Your Dirt Back!!!"
    '99 F-150

Comment

It depends on the quality of the MF towel you plan to was. Higher quality towels like the Megs Supreme Shines clean up very well in the washing machine (warm wash, cold rinse). I like to add 4 oz of white vinegar to a second rinse cycle to open up the microfibers to release trapped particles and contaminants.

Cheaper MF towels sometimes fall apart in a washing machine (the edges start to unravel) and you would do better to hand wash those in warm water with a cold rinse.

Try to use unscented detergent and no other cleaning agents like bleach or fabric softeners. You can tumble dry low (don't use anti-static sheets) or you can air dry your towels.

Comment

I use the kitchen sink when there are only a few that need cleaning. I fill up the sink with warm water and mix in some woolite detergent. I'll soak and agitate in this, wring them out under running water and then rinse them out in another sink full of clean water. Then hang dry.

For the machine i use the most gentle wash cycle with woolite. Then dryer gentle cycle, low heat with a dryer ball to fluff up the nap.

So far so good. But i've never tried vinegar, i'm gonna have to give that a go someday.
        Last edited by Alex C.; Apr 27, 2009, 11:02 AM. Reason: forgot a step
        Alex C.

Comment

I wash warm rinse cold on delicate setting with an extra rinse. I also throw vinegar in on the second rinse to get all soap and extra particles out . Then I will air dry. I have never tried the dryer before so I have no advice there.

I once put swirls in my paint just to see what it looked like.

I don't always detail cars, but when I do, I prefer Meguiar's.
          Remove swirls my friends.

Comment

I have a question for everybody that uses vinegar.

Does that process make the next load (or 2) smell like vinegar?
            Daily - 09 Chevrolet Colorado - Techno gray metallic
            baby - 92 Chevrolet Caprice Classic - aged, yellowed, white.

Comment

Originally posted by dope92cc View Post
              I have a question for everybody that uses vinegar.

Does that process make the next load (or 2) smell like vinegar?
              I've never had that problem. If you're smelling vinegar, you're using too much. I use a max of 4 ounces for a small load, and only during the rinse cycle.

Comment

I've never tried it. I have always been afraid it would stink up a couple loads after the microfibers.
                my family would think I played an awful prank on them.
                Daily - 09 Chevrolet Colorado - Techno gray metallic
                baby - 92 Chevrolet Caprice Classic - aged, yellowed, white.

Comment

Some MF towels that I have used for quick detailing picked up some ugly black spots from the bumpers or behind the wheels. I have machine washed them following the previous advice (no vinegar rinse though). They still have dark areas. They feel and smell clean.

Are they safe to use on paint still, or should they be relegated to door jambs and rims now?

Cheers!

Comment

If you stick with 4 ounces for the load you should not smell any traces of vinegar. Believe me my wife would tell me if I was stinking up the her clothes. lol
                    quality creates its own demand

Comment

Originally posted by foilr View Post
                      Some MF towels that I have used for quick detailing picked up some ugly black spots from the bumpers or behind the wheels. I have machine washed them following the previous advice (no vinegar rinse though). They still have dark areas. They feel and smell clean.

Are they safe to use on paint still, or should they be relegated to door jambs and rims now?

Cheers!
                      i have some that are like that, i try to put them in a stack to use just for jambs etc... but sometimes i forget and use on the paint, I personally have not had any issues from using the towels with the dark areas on them. YMMV
                      2008 Toyota Corolla 5-spd
                      2005 Honda CRF250R
                      2002 kawasaki Ninja ZX9R

Comment

Re: vinegar in the wash -

This is a common use for vinegar, so go for it (eg. it is used in the rinse cycle for silk or wool).

Totally off topic but to show that it is v. safe to use vinegar in the washing machine, it is recommended to regularly run a wash cycle with just vinegar (approx one cup) to clear the machine pipes of soap scum and so on. My first front loader machine had this in the instruction manual, but I noticed my new one doesn't include this.

Nice to see you're all worried what the 'better half' will think tho.

Comment

Wash the towels in hot water. The hot water temperature of home washing machines will not damage microfiber towels, and it is helpful for the removal of dirt and grease from the towels. I use liquid Tide.

I put some vinegar into the first rinse to assist in the removal of any remaining detergent. It also functions as a natural softener. I then rinse the towels a second time. The vinegar scent is barely noticeable, if at all.
                          Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
                          --Al Kimel

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');