• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone have experience with this canopy? Anyone have a decent canopy for sale?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone have experience with this canopy? Anyone have a decent canopy for sale?

This is at Cabela's for $349. I'm wondering if it's any good. I just can't see buying a cheapie with 1" legs with the stiff breeze we have here. If anyone has a decent canopy for sale, please let me know.

This one says commercial grade with 1 3/8" steel legs. A little heavy at 73 pounds, but manageable.

Any feedback would be appreciated!

Re: Anyone have experience with this canopy? Anyone have a decent canopy for sale?

Guess I'll find out, I ordered it.

Comment

Re: Anyone have experience with this canopy? Anyone have a decent canopy for sale?

It's rated well on Cabelas site. I've never used a canopy but I've liked other Cabelas brand products I have.

Let us know how you like it!
      Scott

Comment

That looks like a pretty solid canopy! Can a single person open one of those?

Comment

Originally posted by obione View Post
          That looks like a pretty solid canopy! Can a single person open one of those?
          I got it a couple days ago. Set it up for the first time by myself in about 20 minutes in the backyard. (grass/sand) I forgot to take photos! The trick was to walk around moving each leg out 8-10 inches at a time. Wasn't to bad putting the top on it myself either. That's really the hardest part. It should set up a lot easier on a solid surface where the legs could slide. Plenty of room under it, for sure. Tore it down and packed it in the carry case in 15 minutes. It's not light at 73 lbs., but it is solid and stable. I also got the weight bags, but haven't used them yet. Next test is to see whether I can get it in my truck without too much hassle. It won't fit on the floor due to being a short bed and my water tank turns out to be 4 inches too wide so it has to go up on the shelf. Thinking I might cut 4 inches off the top of the bottom legs? That would make it about 6 foot high clearance.

Comment

I considered buying one but too broke at the moment, got 5 different graduations to go to this next month.....Sheesh!

Joe has a nice set up but wasn't real cheap but looks like it's holding up great and you can put a 2 ring circus under it!
            Philippians 2:14 - Do all things without grumbling or questioning,

Comment

Saw it last night at Cabelas. Looked nice.
              -James
              2012 Chevy Silverado ECSB. Z71 4x4. 5.3

Comment

As I said, it's too long to go under my shelf, but I got it up there without too much problem at all! (strap to secure front of ladder/canopy not shown in this photo)

Comment

So what are your thoughts on this after having it for a while? Ive been thinking about a canopy since my garage is so full of **** it would take me all summer to clean out and shade is very little.

Comment

I'm looking forward towards getting a 10' by 20' canopy this summer for two reasons: I can then wash and detail my car in the middle of the day, and my friends and I can use it at car shows when the sun is really blazing. They were saying they wanted to chip in on one, but I figure I'll buy one for myself instead.
                    James - 1979 Oldsmobile Cutlass Calais
                    Calais Auto Detailing
                    CalaisDetails@aim.com
                    www.calaisdetailing.com (under construction)

Comment

what is the total demension of the canopy all folded up?
                      Round House Kick...

Comment

John M., this is a nice canopy. The only drawback is the weight at 75 pounds. I can put it up and take it down myself, though, and I'm not a bodybuilder by no means.

Mudman, Dimensions when folded up: approx. 61"L x 10"W x 9" H
                        In the wheeled carry bag it's a couple inches longer (due to the feet and wheels on the bottom) and an inch or so wider and higher.

Calais, if you are getting a 10x20 and plan on putting it up and taking it down much, a well made 10x20 steel frame canopy is 140 pounds (see Cabella's )

Most less expensive 10x20s are not collapsible (see Sam's Club Hercules)

meaning you have to assemble and disassemble them. They are lighter so enough room and a means to tie it down are necessary. Ground stakes that come with them don't hold very well, especially here in sand. Longer stakes would work much better, just watch for underground utilities!

Aluminum frame canopies that size are about a grand or more each.

Comment

10degrees,

Do you have any photos of a car under the canopy? and do you think that there is enough space to detail a car under it or are there just a couple spots that are exposed to sunlight?

I have been looking at the cheaper ones as well, just because it's a little more in my price range. But my concern was that the cheaper ones would be flimsy and pose a risk to a customer/ or my own car in the event that something should fail.

Would you say that this is worth the extra ~100 dollars over the lower end shades?

My major issue is being able to haul the canopy around in my sedan (IS300) which I think the 10x15' would be fine, just hang out the window a little.

Thanks
                          Round House Kick...

Comment

No, don't have any photos of it in use, yet. So far I've been able to work under trees or in my garage on a few vehicles since I bought the canopy. Plan on using it next week, though. I'm sure there will be areas and times when the sun will hit the car somewhere. I think just moving the car a little will cure that problem. I plan on slipping roll cage foam on the legs to protect the paint if there is any chance a car will be damaged during high winds and the canopy moving. I bought weight bags for mine so I think it will be fine in most conditions. Most vehicles will fit under it except for tall vans and tall trucks. It has 6'5" of clearance, I think. I may just set it up this weekend and pull my truck under it to see exactly what to expect before I get to the customer's house so I'll take some photos for you, Mudman.

As far as hauling it in a sedan? Well, most didn't think I could get all my equipment in a shortbed pickup, but I did. (see http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/sho...t=32337&page=4) So if you think it will work for you, go for it!

Personally, I couldn't see getting a cheap canopy that I know will break soon or blow away easily and they were all only 10x10. I could see how a lighter, cheaper one can work for a lot of jobs too, though and fit better in a tight budget. I guess it's a matter of preference and how much use you think you'll get from it. I'll use mine for occasional family outings as well, so I think it's money well spent, just like the generator. Probably won't use it much for detailing and might end up taking it out of the truck, but hurricane season is coming quickly and I've been without power here for days at a time in the past. That will not happen again!

Good luck with whatever you decide. I'll keep you posted soon with info when testing this canopy.

Comment

Thanks for the very helpful reply 10degrees!

I think I will just go ahead and get the better Cabelas one. In my past experiences- going cheap usually ended in a less than acceptable result.
                              Round House Kick...

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');