• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone have experience with this canopy? Anyone have a decent canopy for sale?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Anyone have experience with this canopy? Anyone have a decent canopy for sale?

Originally posted by Mudman View Post
    Thanks for the very helpful reply 10degrees!

I think I will just go ahead and get the better Cabelas one. In my past experiences- going cheap usually ended in a less than acceptable result.
    Here's what I did before I committed to the 10x15 steel frame from Cabela's...

I got out a scale and found something that weighed 75 pounds and loaded it up on the shelf in my truck to see just how awkward and heavy it would be. Wasn't too bad and I knew I could roll the canopy to the truck, lean it on the tailgate, slide it up to the shelf on a piece of lexan I had and would never have to actually lift the entire load all at once as I did with the "test load" (two 40 lb. bags of top soil). Then I felt comfortable buying it. After all, I've had numerous back surgeries so I was really worried about the weight factor more than anything else.

If I were you, Mudman, since your car is low to the ground the weight probably won't be the determining factor. I don't know your stature, though. Loading something that's heavy into a car across the seat and then having to stick it out the window while you close the door or from the other side of the car will not be pleasant if you're doing it often. If you don't have to do it all the time then it may not matter and you'll be glad you bought one that will last a long time.

The length and size would seem to be the issue as much as the weight. Get a cardboard box or several will be needed most likely as it came in a pretty big box! Tape them together to make the size I gave you and see just how it fits in your car. (62x11x10 in carry bag)

Also, don't forget, and I didn't know this, that it is recommended that the canopy top (fabric) be removed and not folded up with the frame so as not to tear it. Well, there's pocket on the carry bag if you can get it folded up nice and neat and get all of the air out of it like it came when shipped. I couldn't. Me and the wife tried to fold it and it is like folding one heck of a big bed sheet. It's odd size where it come to a point on top makes it even more difficult to fold into something uniform and small. I stuffed into a heavy duty large trash bag and keep it on the back seat of my truck! So that's more room you'll need in your car unless you can figure out how to fold that top nice and neat without laying it on the ground and getting sand and grass all over it.

Know what I mean, Vern?

You can always return it to Cabela's if you don't like it. They have a 100% guarantee, but I don't know if it includes shipping. Probably not. Shipping was an extra fee on top of handling and ended up totalling $42.00 with weight bags the total was a little about $425, I think.

I was wondering if Nick and Joe fold up their canopy frames with the fabric still attached?

Comment

Re: Anyone have experience with this canopy? Anyone have a decent canopy for sale?

I'm not too worried about the weight. Although I am by no means very efficient at lifting things- shoving a canopy in a car shouldn't be too hard. The dimensions you posted sounds like the maximum limit that my back seat can fit with a little bit of creativity. I will deffinately try to make a "scale" box of it to see what it would fit properly.

It would be nice having a truck, but right now is not the time to just go out an buy a new vehicle. I just finished paying mines off!

As far as having space for the top of the canopy, I imagine it wouldn't be too much of an issue. For now the canopy would only be loaded in my car about once a week to work on friends cars. I'm still new to everything- so detailing an actual customer's car might not be for a few months.

I have also thought about just removing the back seat completely to open up a lot more space from the trunk as well. This is my only vehicle- so I have to make it work somehow.
      Round House Kick...

Comment

I'm sorry it took me so long to get this for you, Mudman.

It took me 25 minutes to unload it from the back of my truck up on a shelf (a breeze really), unpack it (15 seconds), set it up and pull my truck under it. This is only my second time setting it up, so I could trim 15 minutes off it, I think.

There's 6'6" clearance
        Clearance from the mirror to the legs is 12" on either side, fold in the mirrors and there 19" from the legs to the sides of the bumpers on each side. Plenty of room to open the doors. Obviously, my truck is longer than 15' and wider than most cars so it will work in the majority of jobs very nicely! I dont' know what large vehicle heights are, but I think and SUV would fit no problem? I'm happy with it so far.

If you get one, please PM me and I'll tell you what I found to be the easiest way to set it up by yourself. It's a little tricky, but once you figure it out it's not bad at all.

Hope this helps in your decision. Steve

Comment

Thanks for posting the photos 10degrees! I ended up buying two walmart 10'x10' canopies that were on sale. Luckily they both fit in my back seat no problem, actually I can probably fit four!

I will take a photo of my setup the next time I use it. Also used the foam noodle idea to wrap the legs of the canopy so it wouldn't scratch my door if anything were to happen.

So now I essentially have a 10' x 20' work space. It just takes longer to setup since there are two of them. So far I have been able to setup 2 canopies in 10 mins by myself. It's actually a lot easier than I had expected. Breaking the canopies down is another thing- but it only takes me about an extra 5 mins over all to break down.

So far I'm happy with the purchase being that my budget is split between learning to detail while saving up for an old Toyota pickup.

Thanks again!
          Round House Kick...

Comment

Glad you like what you ended up buying, Mudman! I'm sure they'll do fine for you and most importantly you can take the $250 you saved and get some M105/M205 and have some left over. 10x20 will be sweet! Post some photos for sure.

Like that noodle idea? I have some race car roll cage wrap for mine. I was using it the other day and several stiff breezes came through and I heard the legs sliding a little on the driveway! Only 15 mph winds too, but they were coming between mine and my neighbor's houses and hitting it just right, I guess. Apparently, 75 pounds (my canopy) is not that much weight when you have a parachute attached to it!

So get something to anchor yours down and tie them together if there's any chance of wind. Better safe than really, really sorry! Some said they use buckets filled with water and bungee cords, some use weights, sandbags and I saw a demo at lowes on a windy day where they used large patio tiles, one on each leg.

Happy Detailing!

Comment

I have the one you have there. Black. Need two or more to open up but I can close it back down myself. This is the one we use. We will be buying another one soon. I think mine was a little cheaper at pep-boys.

Comment

Originally posted by 10degreesbtdc View Post
                This is at Cabela's for $349. I'm wondering if it's any good. I just can't see buying a cheapie with 1" legs with the stiff breeze we have here. If anyone has a decent canopy for sale, please let me know.

This one says commercial grade with 1 3/8" steel legs. A little heavy at 73 pounds, but manageable.

Any feedback would be appreciated!

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...0054650518180a
                I remember seeing the same thing at Sam's Club for $199...or at least it looked very similar.

They were the same kind that's used by vendors.
                r. b.

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');