• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HELP! New to DA and BIG project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP! New to DA and BIG project

Hey Guys,
    I've been reading the forum forever, and always wanted to buy the G110. Yesterday while driving on 95 I was forced off the road by another driver and into a orange plastic traffic barrel. When I got out of the car to look at the damage to my beloved brand new Black Audi, there are scrapes down the side of the car. I ran my nail over the marks and they are not textured. I've never used a DA before, and I am looking for suggestions for pads and products. Originally, I was thinking Ultimate Compound, W9006 Finishing Pad, W8006 Polishing pad, W7006 cutting pad, and NXT Generation Wax. After reading a bit further, I thought maybe I should consider M105 Ultimate Cutting Compound and a wool pad. However, I read that M105 is more effective with a rotary and only necessary when wet sanding. If I have to wet sand the car I will most likely take it to a professional. PLEASE HELP! I will take pictures soon. Thanks guys!
    Last edited by MMalvin; May 7, 2009, 03:57 PM.

Re: HELP! New to DA and BIG project

I wouldn't jump immediately to Ultimate Compound. Try SwirlX first - remember the advice of using the least aggressive method. Chances are something as mild like SwirlX or maybe even the original ScratchX might remove the damage for you. You may not even have to use a DA. Try hand polishing the damaged areas first, then graduate to the DA. Cutting pads should only be used if aggressive products like UC combined with a polishing pad fail to remove the damage.

See this link: Aggressiveness Order for New Consumer Products - This will surprise you!

Comment

If you're new to machine buffing, start with the DA Polisher and move-up to a rotary if you decide to get into detailing as your new hobby.

Definitely investing into a DA Polisher will make taking care of your new car easier and faster. When it comes to removing the new scratches caused by the accident, how well a tool with a clutch will remove these will depend upon how deep they are and how hard the paint is.

Usually using a DA Polisher and something like our new Ultimate Compound will remove the majority of the shallow scratches and improve the overall appearance so the deeper scratches won't show up as well.

Deeper scratches are usually best removed by hand or with a rotary buffer; you're hand can be more powerful than the DA Polisher because you can exert more force to a smaller area and thus remove paint better.

Pictures will help, let us know if you decide to get a polisher or not and we'll do our best to help you remove scratches.

http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/tags.php?tag=exert

Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

I found YouTube Videos very helpful.
        The above posts are great!!
        Good Luck!!
        Joel
        Firefighter/EMT-B
        Rejuvenation Auto Detailing
        "Satisfaction Guaranteed or Your Dirt Back!!!"
        '99 F-150

Comment

Here are the photos as promised.

Comment

Thanks for all the help so far guys! I decided to buy a G110. I also bought Ultimate Compound, finishing, and polishing pads, NXT generation wax. My plan right now is to wash and clay, then work on these scratches. Hopefully they'll come right out! Thanks again guys.

Comment

From the pics, I belive you should get very good results in removing those scratches. The only one that I am concerned about is the one in the second picture.

Good luck and let us know how you made out.
              quality creates its own demand

Comment

You will first need to remove the transfer paint to be able to evaluate the true damage. It appears you may need a little wet sanding prior to compounding just be ever so cautious on the edges of the fender.
                roger

Comment

I think I got most of the transfer paint off already with washing and detailing spray. The DA comes in the mail in a few... Lets hope this goes well. Thank you so much!

Comment

I finally got the time to give my baby the attention she deserved. Wash, clay, UC, and nxt generation 2.0 wax. Everything except for pictures one and two came out. Those scratches are very deep... probably needs wet sanding and a rotary... out of my comfort zone. Thank you for all the help and I will post pictures of the results soon!

Comment

Since you have the DA you might want to try M105 w/yellow pad then M205 w/yellow pad. I had some deep scratches and water etching and it helped me. Remember M105 is more aggressive than UC.
                      RG Curtis
                      U.S. Navy Silent Service

Comment

While I have gotten most of the serious damage out of the car. The car seems to have some serious swirls and holograms, which will not budge! I have compounded the car for hours. I use the W pattern with the right amount of pressure. Should I move up to M105? Or is there something else to do?

Comment

any updates with pics? ....if you still have those swirls and holograms, step up to the 105, that stuff is amazing!

Comment

Swirls and holograms with a DA?
                            UDM & 4" pads
                            2006 Ford F250 SuperDuty (blue/gray)
                            2002 Olds Intrigue (silver)
                            2000 Chrysler Town & Country (pearl)
                            1997 Jeep Cherokee Sport (black)

Comment

Originally posted by MMalvin View Post

The car seems to have some serious swirls and holograms, which will not budge!
                              Just to help us out here, were the swirls in the paint before you started or are they a result from your buffing work?

If they are being instilled from your buffing process then we can troubleshoot from there; what buffing pad are you using?

Mike Phillips
                              760-515-0444
                              showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');