• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Workability of Ford paint?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Workability of Ford paint?

I know we have a few Ford enthusiasts out there and those who have done corrections on Ford paint, so my question is, how easily is Ford paint corrected? Can you remove minor swirls and such by hand with Color X, DC1, Swirl X, or whatnot without much trouble? I ask because my uncle has a '98 (not sure of the exact year, I think it's somewhere in that area) Ford Explorer that I might possibly be detailing in a month or so. Not sure of the exact condition of the paint (he lives in ND, but he's hopefully going to come visit us and bring his Explorer with him), but I thought I'd ask. Seems to me as though people have said Ford paint is relatively easy to work with - not too hard and not too soft. Isn't that sad when I worry more about seeing his truck than seeing him? Huh, guess I've been around you guys too long. That's what I get for joining this crummy, er, I mean this great forum! Thanks!
    Shane
    1995 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera SL

If you trim yourself to fit the world you'll whittle yourself away. - Aaron Tippin

Re: Workability of Ford paint?

My experiences are that it's basically right in the middle like you said. It isn't going to be incredibly easy to remove the swirls, but not incredibly hard either. It also all depends on the severity of the swirls. If they are just minor swirls then Swirl X may be enough to remove them, but it may need a few passes.

That being said, you can listen all you want to what people say about Ford paint, but what I said and what they say really isn't going to matter. Each paint behaves differently so it is really up to you to see how your Uncle's Explorer's paint responds. Make sure to do some test spots, see what works, and then move on from there.

Make sure to post some pics after you do it

I once put swirls in my paint just to see what it looked like.

I don't always detail cars, but when I do, I prefer Meguiar's.
    Remove swirls my friends.

Comment

Last weekend I detailed a F150 from the early 2000's. The lighter swirls came out using ultimate compound and a DA on the majority of the truck the hood required a little more TLC and required M105 followed by Ultimate Compound to get it pretty shiny.

I would strongly suggest doing a test area or two to get your process down before going to town on the whole vehicle.

When you are done post some pics so we can see how it turned out.
      "The shinier your car, the brighter your day"

Comment

Generally speaking, Ford paint is (like others mentioned) right in the middle. I find it to be a perfect medium (excuse the pun) of hard and soft characteristics. I rarely have problems when working with Ford paint.

Yes, I know I am a biased Ford lover... but still, I doubt many will disagree. That said, always be prepared for the unexpected... you never know...

Comment

Do a lot of Ford paints have the orange peeling effect? I was parked next to a new F-150 the other day and noticed that the paint looked bumpy.

Comment

Originally posted by Honda Fit View Post
            Do a lot of Ford paints have the orange peeling effect? I was parked next to a new F-150 the other day and noticed that the paint looked bumpy.
            Just the same as 95% of other factory produced cars. It varies model to model, car to car, but I don't find it particularly bad.

Comment

Actually, you'll find out real fast if the paint is polishable or not when you go out and do your test spot. That's the best way to find out how workable or polishable, or hard or soft if you prefer, the paint is.

At each of the Saturday classes we pick the WORST looking paint, and we don't know anything about it until we bring our hand down and start working a swirl and scratch remover over the surface and then inspect our results...

After one application of a paint cleaner like ScratchX 2.0 or a compound like Ultimate Compound, we can look at the amount of defects removed as compared to the original condition paint surrounding the test spot and at that point we can tell if the paint is hard or soft, or workable or polishable.

If we see a huge difference we know the paint is very polishable, if we see little to no improvement that tells us either the paint is very hard or unworkable or the swirls and scratches are very deep, but it's usually the first one when testing by hand but you don't now until you try.

Same thing applies when working by machine. The results from your first pass over your test spot should tell give you a very good indicator as to what you have to work with.

Mike Phillips
              760-515-0444
              showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

its always going to be a good thing to just do the test spot, just like disclaimers about trying cleaners for seats or whatever in inconspicuous places, this will help with knowing how strong to go when going from the least aggressive up.
                Fergy-

You're only as good as your last detail

Comment

Here's another question. What kind of wheels are on the mid to late '90's model Explorers? By that I mean are they chrome or aluminum or what? My uncle's Explorer is an Eddie Bauer edition, I think it's somewhere between a '95 and a '99 model if that makes a difference.
                  Last edited by CieraSL; May 1, 2009, 08:52 PM.
                  Shane

If you trim yourself to fit the world you'll whittle yourself away. - Aaron Tippin

Comment

I agree with the above.
                    Coming from personal experience, it is not hard nor soft.
                    On the sides I think it is a little bit softer maybe.
                    And on the hood it is a little bit harder.
                    Joel
                    Firefighter/EMT-B
                    Rejuvenation Auto Detailing
                    "Satisfaction Guaranteed or Your Dirt Back!!!"
                    '99 F-150

Comment

Here's what his truck looked like after the last time I cleaned it - I think this was a couple of years ago. Don't remember what I used.

What kind of wheels are on this truck? Are they aluminum or chrome? Or something different? It's an Eddie Bauer edition if that makes a difference.
                      Shane

Comment

I believe they are aluminum. Definitely no chrome.

Comment

Originally posted by CieraSL View Post

What kind of wheels are on this truck? Are they aluminum or chrome? Or something different? It's an Eddie Bauer edition if that makes a difference.
                          From the picture they look like aluminum. What you need to find out is if they are coated aluminum or bare aluminum.

Rubbing a light paint cleaner using a white cloth or a metal polish to small section of the exterior finish should tell you if they are coated or anodized or bare aluminum. If they are bare aluminum your cloth will turn grayish black from the paint cleaner or metal polish removing oxidized aluminum.

If they are clear coated or anodized you may pull some surface dirt or road grime but your polishing cloth won't be turning grayish black.

Mike Phillips
                          760-515-0444
                          showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

As others have said, best way to find out is a test spot.

However I'm with others who have spoken up about their experience with Ford paint. Most of my work is conducted on Ford paint as I worked with a Local Ford Dealer for several years and most of the cars I currently do are Mustangs for Friends and those who see/heard about some of my work at performance shops and on local boards. Ford paint is very easy to work with, but it does generally take a little more aggressive combo than other paints I've worked on. Best results have always been from products coming out of either Meguiar's or 3M.

As far as the orange peel goes, I swear Ford uses drunken robots to paint some of their cars as the orange peel is generally a little heavier than a lot of other paints on the market.

Comment

Originally posted by IMSHAKN View Post
                              As others have said, best way to find out is a test spot.

However I'm with others who have spoken up about their experience with Ford paint. Most of my work is conducted on Ford paint as I worked with a Local Ford Dealer for several years and most of the cars I currently do are Mustangs for Friends and those who see/heard about some of my work at performance shops and on local boards. Ford paint is very easy to work with, but it does generally take a little more aggressive combo than other paints I've worked on. Best results have always been from products coming out of either Meguiar's or 3M.

As far as the orange peel goes, I swear Ford uses drunken robots to paint some of their cars as the orange peel is generally a little heavier than a lot of other paints on the market.
                              The Ford Fusion/MKZ lines have lots of orange peel...kinda annoying.
                              Al
                              ~ Providing biased opinions

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');