• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Waterless Weekly Washing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Waterless Weekly Washing?

Hi all, this is my first post here and I'd like to start it with a question that's been bugging me.

I live in the Phoenix Metro area in Arizona here, and as you know it rarely rains.

I park in the garage at night, at uncovered at work (unfortunately there is an airport nearby). I drive 20 miles, about 25-40 minutes each direction.

After claying my car and waxing, a week later the worst I get is just some dust collected up. What's the recommend, most convenient, and best way to clean my car? I aim to do this every week regularly.

It would be a huge shame and pain to have to wash my car because with the Celica (as well as other cars I'm sure) the water likes to hide in certain places and slowly leak out hours later, leaving water spots. Pretty difficult to dry.

I found this, but it doesn't seem available in my area: youtube.com/watch?v=DKdYcqgFwIk (either add www. and paste it in your browser, OR see the next Reply for the click-able link!)

So I'm sure there will be two answers to this:
    One answer will be the most convenient.
    One answer will be what is the best to maintain my paint condition.

Hopefully there can be just one answer. Even if the blunt answer is simply that washing is the most effective and best way to avoid scratches, etc.. Perhaps there can be a clarification on when to use one method and one to fully wash? Thanks!
    Last edited by Markus Kleis; May 4, 2009, 12:25 AM. Reason: No clickable links before 30 posts

Re: Waterless Weekly Washing?

Hi xantonin,

Welcome to MOL!

Just so you know I had to break your clickable link due to a forum wide rule dissallowing clickable links for new users under 30 posts.

I will put the link in my post as well so people can easily go to it.

Ignition DVD takes a look at Meguiars waterless car wash.

Thanks!

Mark

Comment

The Optimum No Rinse seems popular, maybe something you can look into.
      2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

I'm basically in the same situation. I park outside and frequently use Quik Detailer. What's the difference between that and Optimum No Rinse? Seems like they're for the same use.

Comment

Originally posted by Murr1525 View Post
          The Optimum No Rinse seems popular, maybe something you can look into.
          It's a good product for people who can't do a traditional wash. I have it, and it can be great in the right situation.

Originally posted by Honda Fit View Post
          I'm basically in the same situation. I park outside and frequently use Quik Detailer. What's the difference between that and Optimum No Rinse? Seems like they're for the same use.
          The main difference would be in application method. ONR is a concentrate added into a bucket of water, and then a traditional wash mitt is used to wipe the vehicle down, drying it one panel at a time as you go.

Quick Detailers are more for spraying and simply wiping.

I have done some limited testing using Meguiar's Last Touch in the same method as ONR, and it has worked great so far. BUT, it is not officially sold for that use... so I do not suggest trying it on a vehicle you are not ok *possibly* damaging with minor wash type swirls or haze.

I will try and post more thorough findings in a few weeks or so.

Comment

optimum no rinse or DP rinseless wash and gloss
            2008 Toyota Corolla 5-spd
            2005 Honda CRF250R
            2002 kawasaki Ninja ZX9R

Comment

I mist and wipe with Last Touch one to two times a week, so long as the car is only lightly dusty. I understand that you can dilute Last Touch 1:1 with water and still achieve effective results, but so far I have only used undiluted LT. Part of the application is technique. Mist s small section (18"x18") of your car with LT or another similar emulsifier, then use a clean folded microfiber towel (I use Megs Supreme Shines) and wick off the chemical using an slightly upward motion.

Then use the dry side of the MF towel, or use another folded clean MF towel, to polish the panel using a serpentine motion and very light pressure. It takes time (takes me an hour) to clean the car properly with this method, but attention to detail will prevent possible swirling and scratching. But don't rely on waterless methods as an end-all. I still wash my car properly at least once ever two weeks.

Comment

I forgot to mention a very important fact that the water where I live is very hard. A lot of minerals in it. So avoiding it is another reason to go for waterless.

We have a water softener, and it may be possible for me to connect a hose to the laundry room sink and wash my car with that, I think. Would that be better?

If using water and the standard wash method is the best for my paint, I'll do it.

But it would be the best for me if I can just wipe my car down without water. Shouldn't Ultimate Quick Detailer do this fine?

Also please excuse my ignorance to acronyms but that's DP?

Comment

Originally posted by xantonin View Post
                  I forgot to mention a very important fact that the water where I live is very hard. A lot of minerals in it. So avoiding it is another reason to go for waterless.

We have a water softener, and it may be possible for me to connect a hose to the laundry room sink and wash my car with that, I think. Would that be better?

If using water and the standard wash method is the best for my paint, I'll do it.

But it would be the best for me if I can just wipe my car down without water. Shouldn't Ultimate Quick Detailer do this fine?

Also please excuse my ignorance to acronyms but that's DP?
                  A standard wash is best especially if you can used the water softener and you can wash the car in a shaded area, or wait until evening or early morning,

For wiping down with UQD, it can be done if the car is only dusty, but it's an expensive solution. UQD runs $10 per 22 oz bottle, Last Touch can be bought for around $18 a gallon and (as mentioned previously) can be diluted 1:1 with water. So effectively, 2 gallons for less than two bottles of UQD.

Comment

Interesting stuff.

This ONR stuff sounds pretty good too. Someone suggested buying distilled water, and Wal Mart sells that stuff cheap.

The question then would be to decide on that or Last Touch.

I'd imagine if my car was really really dirty, ONR would be the best bet for weekly.

Sounds like Last Touch would be a good application for the weekdays between ONR washes.

Maybe even less than that, dust is really all my car collects when I drive. And Last Touch says it's good at removing dust, so I can't imagine it scratching anything if that was all I used.

My main objection here is washing. I just don't see the point in washing my car often if I can just wipe off the dust.

Would following

Comment

You should invest in a blower, it was the greatest buy i've made, i dried my truck, and the little places water likes to hide in 5 mins.
                      "Every moment frontin and maxin
                      Chillin in the car they spent all day waxin
                      "

Comment

Haha. You mean like a leaf blower or something? Sounds like a good idea.

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');