• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To Bead, or Not To Bead...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: To Bead, or Not To Bead...

Originally posted by Ganesa View Post
    is NXT 2.0 suppose to sheet the water off or more likely to bead??
    sheet right??
    It will bead up on horizontal surfaces, and with vertical surfaces or running water it will tend more to sheet water away.

Comment

thanks, that means my car is still well waxed now
      Ganesa,
      Toyota Vios '05

Theres a difference in a person who has to do it and a person who wants to do it

Comment

I'm with Ron. I do want protection, but no beading. I would like the water to roll off the surfaces with very little resistance.

Earlier this year I had a good coat of 26 on my Camry and we had one of our infrequent rainstorms. After work I was marveling at the fantastic beading on my car . I figured it would blow off during the 2 1/2 mile drive home. No such luck. There was still 90% of the water left beaded on my car.

By the way, given the choices, I had to vote for Melange.

Mike
        Why do we drive on a Parkway, and park on a Driveway

George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by Mikejl View Post
          Can't blame ya there! When you get the ability to fold space, let me know... I may have a trip in mind.....

The only reason some people get lost in thought... is because it is unfamiliar territory for them.
          --VoicesInMyHead--
          0101011101100101001000000100000101110010011001010010000001000111011001010110010101101011

Comment

Originally posted by Mikejl View Post
            I'm with Ron. I do want protection, but no beading. I would like the water to roll off the surfaces with very little resistance.

Earlier this year I had a good coat of 26 on my Camry and we had one of our infrequent rainstorms. After work I was marveling at the fantastic beading on my car . I figured it would blow off during the 2 1/2 mile drive home. No such luck. There was still 90% of the water left beaded on my car.

Mike
            I like the look of the beading.. but like you said I would like it to blow off easily when driving.

Comment

I'm with the OP. I've often said that beading is a pain for that same reason.
              I just don't think there is much I or anybody can do about it, so I just live with it.
              Originally posted by Blueline
              I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

Where I live (Philippines), both beading and sheeting products don't work very well. The dust combined with the sticky grime from car exhaust turns my car's paint into a mobile post-it(tm). Whenever it rains, sure it beads (or sheets), but after the rain stops, most of the car is still covered in water. When it dries, I get sticky white spots.

Whether it be by beading or by sheeting, I'd really want to minimize the time that water spends on my car's paint.

That's why Melange gets my vote!

Comment

eric son - perhaps you should look into nanotechnology coatings (Lotus effect)
                  ~ Providing unbiased advice that Professional and Enthusiast Detailer’s Trust ~ Blog – http://togwt1980.blogspot.com

Comment

What is "Melange"?
                    ~ Providing unbiased advice that Professional and Enthusiast Detailer’s Trust ~ Blog – http://togwt1980.blogspot.com

Comment

If you live near airports or large factories all the stuff in the air comes down in the rain and lays on the surface of your car in that little droplet of water. As it sits there on the surface and the sun comes out the droplet acts like a magnifying glass and burns those chemicals into your paint. ACID ffice:smarttags" />RAIN, Remember as a kid playing outside with a magnifying glass and burning things?

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Kleis View Post
                        A quality wax/sealant like M21 2.0/NXT 2.0/Ultimate Quik Wax will leave a surface that will bead on horizontal surfaces, and if the vehicle is driven the water should bunch together and sheet away. The sheeting will naturally occur on the sides of the car where gravity can do its part.
                        MKs statement is true. Water (especially small amounts) will bead on a relatively horizontal plane and water will sheet (especially large amounts) on a relatively vertical surface . Beading and sheeting are both the same thing, it signifies that the surface is resisting water.

I grew up in the Philippines where "taro" plants are abundant. Taro leaves are particularly resistant to water and you will clearly see that taro leaves tend to bead water if they are horizontal and they tend to sheet if they are vertical.

Check out this video of the beading/sheeting action of the taro leaf. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPM_7...eature=related
                        FYI: taro leaves have microscopic hairs that lift water and prevent it from sticking to the flat surface of the leaf.

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');