• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why so much wax in containers? Am I not using it enough?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why so much wax in containers? Am I not using it enough?

It seems to me that wax isn't used as much as any other product. Car wash goes fast, quick detailers go fast, polish even goes fast sometimes.

Perhaps my method is wrong or I'm not using it enough, but I believe everywhere I read says to prepare the paint before waxing, and you should only clay or prepare you paint as often as needed, or at least on a regular schedule like twice a year. Thus if you only wax after doing this, you only wax about twice a year.

I guess a more direct question for myself would be (for the sake of using up some old product), can it hurt to apply wax without fully preparing the paint (such as claying and cleaning, but of course still washing), or will it just cause it to not stick as well but at least provide some additional protection?

That, or maybe someone can tell me that either I'm doing something wrong, or that the simple answer is "yes when you buy wax you get a 8 year supply!" (16 oz divided by 1 oz per car applied twice a year = 8)

Re: Why so much wax in containers? Am I not using it enough?

it takes me a while to go through a bottle of Tech Wax.

But after you wash your car, feel the paint with your clean hand, if there is no bonded contaminants and you dont want to clean or polish the paint then apply your choice of wax to your car.

The thing is, you dont want to wax over bonded contaminants.
    Nick
    Tucker's Detailing Services
    815-954-0773
    2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

A container of wax will last you much longer as you are applying a very thin coating and the excess is just moved to the next area. As long as you can see the wax haze up you are good in my book.

*See you are from Gilbert as well, crazy.

Comment

Oh, and I'd be waxing out here every two months if I were you during the warmer months. I clay once a year and will just wash the car really good before I wax her.
        Last edited by IMSHAKN; May 5, 2009, 07:26 PM. Reason: Hit post too soon

Comment

Awesome a fellow member who knows the heat cars go through here! I moved back here and am not sure how the heat will affect things.

My plan was to clay twice a year, usually before winter and before summer, where I can then clean the paint and apply some good protection to last until the season ends.

My problem is that I don't have many other times on when to apply wax and what this leaves a lot left in the container. Like I said, in theory that would last years. I guess that concept isn't making sense to me. Surely I can apply it more often?

Comment

Let's hear it for Arizona!!!!

You may end up applying more wax during the summer months, it burns off pretty fast with our killer sun shine and 115 degrees.
            Arizona Corvette Enthusiasts
            08 Atomic Orange Metallic C6 LS3 Z51 4LT
            98 Torch Red Convertible * SOLD
            82 Collector Edition * SOLD

Comment

I say that you should definitely apply more often.

I actually layer M21 over the top of several coats of Opti-Seal for my protection during the summer months. I top up with another coat M21 every month or two for sure out here. Then again, I practically have to otherwise the blue of my Mustang goes from looking good to looking like a ugly pastel shade of blue.

Comment

Xantonin, if you are driving your car regularly, you should definitely consider waxing your car more frequently--at least every four to ten weeks. Take a look at this proposed regimen: Your Daily Driver: A Simple Wash & Wax Regimen.

During the non-winter months I try to apply a coat of wax every four weeks. That's just me. If you want to know how often MOL members wax their vehicles, check out this poll.
                Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
                --Al Kimel

Comment

So then it's OK to wax without always using a clay bar and/or paint cleaning. As long as a good wash is done and the paint is felt for roughness.

In that case, is it also okay to spray/quick wax between regular wax?

Here's my idea...

Spring/Fall:
                  Wash
                  Clay Bar
                  Paint Clean
                  Polish x3
                  Wax x2

Every Month:
                  Wash
                  Wax

Weekly:
                  Wash
                  Ultimate Spray Wax (maybe Bi-Weekly or as needed)

Between Weekends/As Needed:
                  Ultimate Quick Detailer (to get off dust etc)

Optimally I think that washing may be required less than weekly if I just use UQD/Spray Wax. That is keeping in mind we live in Arizona where the worst your car gets is a few extra layers of dust and the occasional bird bomb. Rain? Hah. I was looking at no rinse/waterless wash solutions for weekly but for now am just sticking with one brand; Meguiars.

In that case, can I substitute my weekly routine with:

Weekly:
                  Last Touch (or Ultimate Quick Detailer but LT to save $$$)
                  Quick Wax

Just to avoid having to use water since it's very hard here. That would leave the only time I was to be monthly. I imagine that's OK if it never rains?

Car is garaged at night.

Comment

Originally posted by akimel View Post
                    Xantonin, if you are driving your car regularly, you should definitely consider waxing your car more frequently--at least every four to ten weeks. Take a look at this proposed regimen: Your Daily Driver: A Simple Wash & Wax Regimen.

During the non-winter months I try to apply a coat of wax every four weeks. That's just me. If you want to know how often MOL members wax their vehicles, check out this poll.
                    Thanks for the reply, I actually did read the daily driver one, however I wasn't sure because of the location we live in, and what not. I also wanted to avoid washing. Please see my above post and comment.

Edit: Honestly I get bored sometimes during the weekend and I love working on my car. I'd wax it every week if it's not a problem. That's why I inserted the spray wax option. I guess I just have the idea that waxing after washing is bad. Waxing after claying/cleaning is good. The reasoning behind that is the same reasoning behind why people suggest waxing straight instead of in circles; should there be anything on your cloth or left on the paint and you wax it into your paint you'll potentially scratch it and create swirls in the process. The theory behind removing/waxing straight is that if there are scratches they're less visible in the light, where as swirls are visible at all angles and straight scratches mostly at one angle.. I guess I got paranoid, because I was told waxing and such would wear out my paint. I know now through personal research that it's impossible for pure waxes since they don't scratch, so I guess I'm looking to instill confidence in myself so I can wax more often.

Comment

Xantonin, if you have water problems or restrictions, then I would recommend that you try out Optimum No Rinse. It will speed up the washing process.

Regarding your spring/fall routine, when you speak of applying three coats of polish, are you referring to one of Meguiar's pure polishes, like #7? Three coats sure sounds like a lot. You might consider just applying it once.

Using the Ultimate Quik Wax as a regular maintenance wax makes great sense. I haven't tried it yet, but I understand it is exceptionally easy to use and provides an impressive shine.
                      Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
                      --Al Kimel

Comment

My concern with using any of these regularly that don't include washing the car beforehand is avoiding causing additional scratches.

I was hoping to use Last Touch instead of ONR, although it doesn't sound like too bad of a product I did a lot of research on it in another topic. Meguiars needs to come out with something similar soon.

My idea behind three coats was from reading a thread in another forum by someone who does show car detailing and gets excellent results, although he used Zaino as an alternative sometimes but he suggest polishing about 3 times and leaving an hour between polishes to allow the paint to cure, if not more time. It seemed to make sense to me but perhaps more sense for a single stage finish. I believe I understand a lot of how most Meguiars products work now after reading so much, except polishes. I really haven't grasped the science behind it yet. The polish referenced was indeed #7

Comment

Xantonin, I'm confused. Why is it that you want to avoid washing your car? Doesn't your car look better after it has been washed? Is it that you are worried that you might induce additional swirls by washing it (which is a legitimate concern), yet if you keep the car dirty, why worry about the swirls, as no one is going to see them?

It seems to me that proper detailing care begins with regular washing. Not only does the car look better, but you are removing contaminants that could harm the paint finish. The challenge is washing one's car properly, using good technique, tools, and products. Another advantage of frequent washing is that it allows you to wax your car again, whether it be spraying on Ultimate Quik Wax or adding another coat of NXT. Here on MOL, folks like to wax their cars somewhat frequently, as they like that freshly waxed shine and they want to keep their vehicles well-protected.

Regarding Meguiar's pure polishes, or glazes, like M07, they are non-abrasive oil-based products that serve as gloss-enhancers. They add a touch of wetness to the finish, though it may not be perceptible on light colors. Meguiar's regards their use as purely optional. They are wipe-on, wipe-off. I am unfamiliar with the practice of applying multiple coats of #7, spaced by an hour between. I imagine this is show-car practice, which of course differs from ordinary detailing practice. Here on MOL folks apply a pure polish, wipe it off, and then immediately wax the car.

Have you read this article yet: Meguiar's 5-Step Paint Care Cycle.

Cheers,
                          Al
                          --Al Kimel

Comment

Hi akimel, yes I've read the 5 step process many times, but I do appreciate the links to articles, I'm trying to read as much as I can.

My problem with washing is the following for here in Arizona:

A) The water is hard. A ton of minerals in it, it's horrible. I've seen what happens to faucets outside and other things that have the water flow through them. I imagine that after rinsing off my car the act of drying it alone may wear away layers of something or another (unless I buy that air blower, but not the point). I'm not sure if I should use a water blade or shammy, maybe both. Unfortunately for my car if I dry it off, an hour later water will sill trickle down from somewhere I can't reach.

B) It's really hot here!!! My drive way faces north, with little shade to the east or west. Simply in the process of washing my car with a mitt the soap is already drying to the paint. It's ridiculous. I've had to get up at 5 AM to wash my car, then pull it into the garage before the sun tries to beat me at drying my car. I then dry off my car in the garage.

I've tried "pre-rinsing" my car before, but it turned out to be pointless since the pre rinse dried up before I could wash in some areas.

I guess my issue is shade? I'd love to wash my car in the garage, haha! Won't happen though. Even so, sometimes in the shade just because it's so dry out here the air ***** out the water.

Comment

I think a rinseless product like ONR is your best choice right now until Meguiar's comes up with one. With it you could wash in the garage and do the washing and drying there. And since it uses little water you could use distilled water to avoid your hard water. In addition you would not have as much water trapped in the trim appearing at later times which I hate specially when it comes up while waxing.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');