• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Received a great offer on a rotary, need advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Received a great offer on a rotary, need advice

With an eye to the future, I have come across an opportunity to purchase a nearly new (used once) Milwaukee 5455 rotary polisher for a fantastic price, about 75% off retail. The one great holdup is that the rotary is a single, no-load speed device set for 1750 RPM. Optimally I know that most wetsanders would prefer a variable speed unit with a range of 1000-3000. With a single set speed, this obviously this limits what I can do with the tool in regards to wetsanding and polishing, but by how much?

The specs:

Voltage 120 AC/DC
    Pad Size 7 in./9 in.
    Amps 11.0
    No Load Speed 1,750 RPM
    Spindle 5/8 in.-11
    Cord Type 9 ft. Fixed
    Construction Type Double Insulated
    Switch Type Trigger
    Trigger Lock On
    Dial Speed Control No
    Spindle Lock Yes
    Length 16-1/2 in.
    Tool Weight 8.8 lbs.
    Shipping Weight 11.8 lbs.

Includes

• Side Handle
    • 7 in. Rubber Backing Pad
    • Disc Nut
    • Nylon Washer

I appreciate any and all input!

Re: Received a great offer on a rotary, need advice

If you are just using this with a wool pad to remove sanding marks, then it might be okay. Otherwise, I would pass up the offer.

It is important to keep the speed fairly low when doing the final polishing. I like to use something in the range of 1000 - 1200 rpm. If you are trying to remove any light swirls at 1750 rpm, I really doubt you will get a hologram free finish.
    Chris
    Dasher Detailing Services

Comment

I would completely pass on this. I never opperate my rotary above 1500rpm's, and 90% of the time I never go above 1200rpm's. As Chris said, final polishing is always done around 1000 or less.

For me, the only thing that Milwaukee would be good for is cleaning pads.
      2008 Meguiar's Batmobile Team
      2008 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team
      2009 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team
      2010 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team

Comment

Also the 1750 is with out load. Pressed down on the paint, with a pad, and what is your RPM? If it is a weak motor you could get a lot of bog.

I personally like to polish around 1700-2200 rpm, and usually finish between 1500-1000.

For a low cost, variable speed, high quality rotary look at a 'Vector' brand. Otherwise I would probably pass on the offer.
        Let's make all of the cars shiny!

Comment

Working...
        X
        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');