• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Luthien puts on her Souveran

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Luthien puts on her Souveran

I washed my S2000 last Thursday and then drove to Virginia Beach. Luthien was out in the elements for four days straight, 24/7. She was filthy, despite all the rain we drove through on Sunday afternoon. Today we had a break in the rain, so I grabbed the opportunity to finally wash and wax her. As you might recall, I waxed her with Wolfgang Fuzion (2x) four weeks ago. She looked great. Today I thought I would apply a coat of Pinnacle Souveran.

I thought I would give her an ONR rinse, in order to avoid all the after-wash dripping. Big mistake. I washed the convertible top and passenger-side door and moved onto the right front panel. Within a minute or two the "clean" areas were covered with pollen and tree and plant refuse. We live back in the woods. So I made a batch of Gold Class wash solution (two gallons), pulled out the hose, and started all over. I began with the tires and wheels. When those were done, I dumped the wash solution and made a new batch (three gallons). I proceeded to wash the entire car, hosing down the entire car as often as I could. When the washing was completed, I immediately pulled the car into the garage and shut the garage door. I then proceeded to dry the car and attend to the door and trunk jambs. The ONR works great on the jambs. It all took me about two and a half hours, I think. Why does it always takes me twice as long to do anything as the rest of you guys? Maybe I'm just too old for this stuff.

I broke for lunch and an hour later returned to the garage. Time to wax.

Souveran is a real pleasure. It is wipe-on, wipe-off, and it leaves the surface looking wet and deep. I love how easy it is to apply, and I love not worrying about staining the trim. It also smells nice (banana?), though I think I prefer Fuzion's strawberry scent.

When I got to the front-end, I noticed some etching that I hadn't seen during the washing. I don't know if it was from pollen or bugs or what. So I pulled out the ColorX and applied it over the contaminated area. It worked great. I continued with the waxing. Finally, I pulled the car out into the late afternoon sun and took a look. Luthien looked great, as I expected. But I have to say that I'm not sure if I can tell a significant difference between the Souveran ($95 per 8 oz tub) and the Fuzion ($175 per 8 oz tub). The car looks great with the Souveran, just as she looked great with the Fuzion. I think the Fuzion may have intitially looked a bit wetter, but that wetness disappeared after the first wash. My wife thinks she prefers the Souveran by a small margin. I honestly don't know. My favorite wax/sealant seems to be whatever I have used last. I'm not sure if the Souveran looks any better than the Harly Wax I applied three months ago. Pass me the jug of Gallo, please.

Here are some pics. Photographs are so misleading. They simply do not capture the nuances between waxes. If you compare them to last month's photos, I do not think you will see much, if any, difference.

I have yet more waxes to try during the next several months. Yet to come: Swissvax Smaragd, Dodo Juice Supernatural, Blackfire Midnight Sun, P21S 100%, and ... taadaa ... Zymol Vintage. And no, I didn't buy all of these. I have been the fortunate recipient of several detailers' generosity. But I did purchase the Fuzion at half-price w/ refill ... and okay, maybe I did also buy the Blackfire and P21S (both on sale) ... and maybe I did buy half a tub of the Smaragd ... but the Souveran, Supernatural, and Vintage were all gifts. But will I be able to tell any difference between them?! I like to think that I can tell the difference between Sam Adams and Budweiser ... but can I?

Cheers,
    Al

P.S. I know that the the rest of the world pronounces Souveran as Sov-er-an, but if the Pinnacle folks really wanted everyone to pronounce it that way, they should have spelled it differently. I pronounce it the way it is spelled--Soo-ver-an. It also sounds more elegant and cool that way, too, don't you think?
    Last edited by akimel; May 9, 2009, 03:55 AM. Reason: typos
    Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
    --Al Kimel

Re: Luthien puts on her Souveran

The Luthien looks great. Great reflection shots as well.

nice work Al.
    Nick
    Tucker's Detailing Services
    815-954-0773
    2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

Nice work....great reflections. Have you tried #26? Save ya alot of money and I doubt you could tell the difference. JMHO anyway!
      Black......the ONLY color!

Comment

Shane
        1995 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera SL

If you trim yourself to fit the world you'll whittle yourself away. - Aaron Tippin

Comment

Looks Great!!
          MIRROR?!?!?!!?!?
          Keep Up the Great Work!!
          Joel
          Firefighter/EMT-B
          Rejuvenation Auto Detailing
          "Satisfaction Guaranteed or Your Dirt Back!!!"
          '99 F-150

Comment

Originally posted by akimel View Post
            Here are some pics. Photographs are so misleading. They simply do not capture the nuances between waxes. If you compare them to last month's photos, I do not think you will see much, if any, difference.
            As you can probably tell by a lot of my posts, I do frequent Autogeek and have used a wide variety of their products and housebrands...particularly LSP's. On a well-prepped surface I would rate all three waxes (Pinnacle Signature Series II, Pinnacle Souveran, and Wolfgang Fuzion) as 9.50/9.75/10.0 on black cars in that order. Interestingly they also range in order of price from $40/$100/$175 per jar. They only vary to a minor degree in liquidity, gloss, and depth. This difference also only shows up to a trained eye, at certain angles/lighting conditions, on certain panels, etc.

The average, everyday vehicle owner wouldn't notice a difference....even if pointed out to them. Factor in the price and the difference does not warrant the added expense although you can get Fuzion at that price with a refill so it actually isn't so bad. On light-colored cars or silver I prefer Pinnacle SSII over the others but again taste is subjective.

Given the amount of work and effort you've put into prepping your black paint and defect removal, I'd venture to say most waxes would look killer on the car. You'd probably see more of a difference between polymer-based sealants vs carnauba waxes then within the carnauba family itself. Either way, your ride looks great...

Comment

Thanks, guys. I do love my ride
              Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
              --Al Kimel

Comment

Very nice car indeed!

Good show
                Philippians 2:14 - Do all things without grumbling or questioning,

Comment

Again, S2K looks great Al. Love the background.

You are lucky your wife can prefer to a certain brand. I asked my girl which wax/sealant she prefers and she always says the "purple stuff" LOL
                  Last edited by TimG; May 7, 2009, 10:23 PM. Reason: typo
                  Learning new things everyday

Comment

Al, Your s2k looks fabulous as always. The reflections are off the charts. Nice test you are doing.
                    quality creates its own demand

Comment

Looking great Al

Comment

I really do appreciate the opinions on MOL of "other" products.

I too want to try the high end wax's, just because.

I want to go the smaller sample route with most of mine, like you have. I would only plan on using them on my own vehicle, could not imagine one of my customers requesting a high end wax.

Thank you once again for your opinions on these wax's.
                        Fergy-

You're only as good as your last detail

Comment

By the way it is pronounced your way. That his what the created intended anyways.
                          Let's make all of the cars shiny!

Comment

Shouldn't leave her naked like that.

I was terrified after this winer... took at least 4 months since my last coat of wax ( got ColorX and #21 on last month) before I relaxed.

I was not happy... last year I got a mid-winter coat of wax on. This year could barely get is washed.

I think #80 will fix my defects at least.
                            2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');