• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Removing oxidation from plastic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing oxidation from plastic

Hi all,

Hope I can get some help here. On a '97 Honda Del Sol (red paint) some of the paint is getting oxidized to where it is pinkish under certain light. Unfortunately on parts of the body that is oxidized is with plastic parts rather than metal. This would include areas near the removable roof and the rear pillars that lead up to the roof. I am wondering what is the suggested procedure to correct these imperfections? I would imagine using my Makita would cause too much heat and risk burning through the clear coat.

Advice much appreciated!

TnT

Re: Removing oxidation from plastic

It is single stage paint on those areas? If not, clear coat failure could be a concern? Any chance of a pic?

You can always start off simple and just pick up a bottle of SwirlX to work in by hand.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

I don't believe it is a single stage. if you e-mail me I can send you a picture of the "problem". I tried to post the picture on this message but I am not allowed to yet by the admins possibly due to being new to this site.

feel free to drop me a message: guild4evr@hotmail and I will get you the pics that you need to help evaluate this paint.

TnT

Comment

On the same topic;
        I worked on a Corvette today, with sevre oxidation on the bumpers.
        I tried 4 coats of UC and 3 Coats of M105 via the G110, with no real luck. I mean it did help but I want it way better than it is.

What should I use?
        Joel
        Firefighter/EMT-B
        Rejuvenation Auto Detailing
        "Satisfaction Guaranteed or Your Dirt Back!!!"
        '99 F-150

Comment

I wanted to make a correction.. I investigated further about the question of the paint being single stage vs. clear coat.... The side mirrors are definately single stage. but the rest of the car appears to be CC. I used SystemOne on a microfiber and red paint only came off on the side mirrors.

Goodnight all and thanks for any input that can be provided!

Comment

Here is a pic of Tom's car:

Comment

It has me a little worried about clear coat failure.

Is it on the side of the trunk by the pillar also, or is that a reflection?

Comment

Yes I am afraid it is on the quarter paneling. It is also up on the trim that connects to the pillars that goes to the targa roof. It would be a shame if the CC was failing... I have checked the readings with my paint thickness gauge and the areas you see in the picture are 3.5 to 4.2 microns thick. The front end of the car with the hood and quarterpanels are all over the place with about 5.2-9.8 microns thick. I'll prolly use Swirl Away with the purple smart pad or yellow pad.

Comment

Do a search for the Cleat Coat Failure Archive... at least it will show you some other pics for reference.

Comment

Will do. Thanks for all the help

Comment

Looks like clear coat failure to me.

Comment

Well, as an update, much to my dismay the car definately does have CC failure. In the process of getting estimates for complete new spray of the vehicle. Would love a new color but that gets a lot more expensive because I would then need to remove engine, panels etc. to make me happy. Oh well.

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');