• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Kevin Brown" Kits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: "Kevin Brown" Kits

Originally posted by Superior Shine View Post
    I knew Kevin back when he was a nobody!

Don't worry Joe, I already have plans to feature a Joe Fernandez Kit on my site (coming soon, just like the "paper )... and it is SUPERIOR to the KBM kit!
    Kevin Brown
    NXTti Instructor, Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team, Meguiar's Distributor/Retailer

Comment

nice...
      the KB method seems to be the trendy technique nowadays
      Ganesa,
      Toyota Vios '05

Theres a difference in a person who has to do it and a person who wants to do it

Comment

Kevin... I don't mean to put any pressure on you, but are there any news about the KB-method paper? Many of us are really looking forward to reading it.

Comment

congrats, Kevin.
          Todd, this is way to funny.
          quality creates its own demand

Comment

Originally posted by 1999grad View Post
            Kevin... I don't mean to put any pressure on you, but are there any news about the KB-method paper? Many of us are really looking forward to reading it.
            Working on it today off and on. I have been working on it versus spending time on the various forums. Still have a way to go with it. I am frustrated that it is not done yet.

The paper has transitioned from being about M105 and M86 (and the application of these products) to a guide discussing the random orbital and other machines. It will cover things like orbit size, pad saturation, backing plates, oscillation versus rotation, and on and on.

When will I release it?

If I had the time, I would round up all of the already posted information regarding "the method(s)".

In response to Luster's request for more information, I responded with the following (He went ahead and posted this on the Truth in Detailing forum):

Quote:
            Originally Posted by Luster
            Hey Kevin... well you've become quite the celebrity!!! Many of the younger guys are asking about the "Kevin Brown Method". There are bits and pieces all over the internet, but not a concise, step by step procedure. I know you're working on a paper and it's time consuming. I'm pretty comfortable with the KBM, but, for the Newbies, could you post a new thread and call it something like this? Kevin Brown Method: Step by Step:

I'm just looking for a few line items that outline the method, and I don't want to post something and get it wrong, when you are the true author. I think you could do it with 5-10 bullet points. Thanks.........Bill

Re: KB Method...
            Hi Bill!

Thanks for the request.

The reason I have never posted a blow-by-blow of the Todd Helme named Kevin Brown Method is because I don't want a lot of guys that are new or green with the machine to try this procedure instead of what is considered the norm.

This method really stirs the pot of discussion, and there are still a lot of naysayers that don't believe it works, or think that it cannot possibly rival the rotary (or the Flex XC 3401 VRG) for defect removal and final paint polishing. It certainly can, but it is not necessarily because of the method.

Knowledge of how things work will always trump methods.

I did send the information along to several people. The guys that got it seem to have a pretty good understanding of how to operate both a rotary and a random orbital.

What I decided to do (rather than post a step-by-step) is to preface the actual method with information about how a random orbital works. I have a LOT of information about buffing pads, backing plates, stroke size, and on and on. I believe that the information is a bit different that what is readily available on the net today. Some of it is a recap, but most of it is not.

For a guy that really wants to know how or why this method works, it is best to understand the machine and accompanying hardware. This way, the mystery of how the random orbital operates is eliminated, and a reader of the paper will be more able to diagnose an unsatisfactory result (should one occur).

After reading, I hope that a paint polishing enthusiast will be able to test polish a panel, evaluate the result, and make an educated change to the setup or his procedure (should it be necessary).

Even if the reader does not wish to use (or need to use) the method, they should have a very good understanding of how to use a random orbital polisher once a careful reading of the paper is complete.

ETA of the release date? Hard to say. It is coming together nicely, but wow!- this thing is growing and growing. Put it this way... the 20-pager has grown by about 20 pages (including spacing, text, and graphics), and I have not even looked at the original 20 pages in months!

Should be soon.
            But you know how my deadlines go.
            Kevin Brown

Comment

Many thanks for the answer, Kevin. Believe me, there are hundreds (probably thousands) of detailing enthusiasts worldwide looking forward to reading your paper. Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Brown View Post
                The reason I have never posted a blow-by-blow of the Todd Helme named Kevin Brown Method is because I don't want a lot of guys that are new or green with the machine to try this procedure instead of what is considered the norm.
                And unfortunately this is what so many are doing. I cannot tell you how many posts on forums like MOL, Autopia, Detailed Image, and Autogeek have some "expert" detailing their version of the KBM to others and more often than not doing it wrong.

I've had the luxury of having Todd Helme explain the procedure to me and demonstrate it in person at a recent Meguiar's roadshow so I have a fair understanding of the concept. I still would advise others to wait and read the completed KBM paper when it is released. It will provide you with some of the theoretical postulates behind the KBM and some of the reasoning for use of priming, wetting agents (a Meg's no-no), and other techniques invloved in the KBM. It is most definitely not simply spreading some polish like butter over a pad and going to work.

So until the paper is published you are only getting second, third, or fourth hand info or even worse...advice completely formulated from internet posts, conjecture, and hearsay. Guys, let the paper come out...the debate ensue...and then decide for yourself. I believe it'll be worth the wait...

Comment

In time Kevin will release his paper and those that think this is all hype or bologna will see the light.

Paul
                  Live like you're not afraid to die.Don't be scared, just enjoy your ride. Chris Ledoux RIP

PAUL SPARKS / Distinctive Auto Detailing
                  317-513-4678

Comment

Oh man, I just re-read the beginning of this and it was FUNNY!!!!

Took a break from the frustration of the paper, looking for something via Google, and saw Todd's story.

Laughing my face off!!!
                    Kevin Brown

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');