• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Equivalent grit of 0000 steel wool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Equivalent grit of 0000 steel wool

>>You rubbed out paint with steel wool and WD-40?<<

Worked like a charm, actually. 0000 wool and WD-40 and a careful touch works wonders. It doesn't damage as much as you'd think if you're careful. Follow with some Ultimate Compound (which, in my immediate case is actually Ultimate Polish ), Swirl-X, Glaze #7 and #26 wax and a ratty surface is quite presentable again. I'll post the finished pics when I get a chance.

My bigger problem is the raw aluminum. Someone suggested to try English Custom Metal Polish and Restorer aluminum polish on it, supposedly this can put a dent in the pitting. I'll cross my fingers and follow it with #26 wax.

Comment

Looks much better!

Just a FYI but keep the Simple Green away from the uncoated aluminum.
      Scott

Comment

>> Just a FYI but keep the Simple Green away from the uncoated aluminum.<<

Why is that? It's been all over my aluminum! Actually cleaned a ton of **** off them.

Comment

Originally posted by vidrazor View Post
          Why is that? It's been all over my aluminum! Actually cleaned a ton of **** off them.
          I've never had any problems but have heard of other that have had issues. I use Extreme Simple Green Aircraft & Precision Cleaner for that reason. Here's a quote from Simple Green...

Originally posted by Simple Green
          The aqueous-base and alkalinity of Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner can accelerate the corrosion process. Therefore, contact times for unprotected or unpainted aluminum surfaces should be kept as brief as the job will allow - never for more than 10 minutes. Large cleaning jobs should be conducted in smaller-area stages to achieve lower contact time. Rinsing after cleaning should always be extremely thorough - paying special attention to flush out cracks and crevices to remove all Simple GreenĀ® product residues. Unfinished, uncoated or unpainted aluminum cleaned with Simple Green products should receive some sort of protectant after cleaning to prevent oxidation.
          Scott

Comment

Thanks Scott, for the info on the Simple Green on untreated aluminum. Did not know that. Just another reason to toos the rest of the Simple Green jug out.
            quality creates its own demand

Comment

>>Therefore, contact times for unprotected or unpainted aluminum surfaces should be kept as brief as the job will allow - never for more than 10 minutes.<<

OK, no big deal then. I usually don't leave it on longer than that. Certainly no reason to go tossing out a bottle of one of the best cleaners on the planet!

Comment

Originally posted by J. A. Michaels View Post
                Thanks Scott, for the info on the Simple Green on untreated aluminum. Did not know that. Just another reason to toos the rest of the Simple Green jug out.
                No problem, glad I could help. I still use my Simple Green to clean my brushes off. Mostly my wheel spoke brush. I mix it up at 1:1 and let it soak in a glass jar over night. Works pretty good to break down the nasty grease and grime on the brush.

For a Simple Green replacement I've been using Extreme Simple Green Aircraft & Precision Cleaner. It's safe for aluminum and just about everything else. I've been testing it as a bug remover. So far it's one of the best bug removers I've ever used. It does strip your LSP but that's not bad for me. I just wish I could find it locally in gallons.
                Scott

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');