Pictures & Comments for Advanced Class #6 - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pictures & Comments for Advanced Class #6

Registered Member Mike Phillips's Avatar

Re: Pictures & Comments for Advanced Class #6

Quote Originally Posted by MrCLRider View Post
    that looked like a whole lot of wet sanding..what were the paint readings after all of that?

What grit was being used?
    For what it's worth, teaching a class is a lot of work and sometimes you leave something out or forget something or just plain flat run out of time. Such was the case for this class; we took paint thickness readings before we started on the trunk lid, but we forgot to take the after readings.

This was all my fault.

I'm going to put some pictures up and was going to leave out the shots of the readings on the Paint Thickness Gauge because they're meaningless without the after readings and then hope that no one brought it up and now you go and ruin that plan.

The good news is at the end of the day we never broke through the clear layer and since this was a rental car all is well.

We did most of the first sanding passes with #1500 and then followed this with #3000 and #4000 using mostly the 3M Trizact System but also we did some finish sanding with the high grit #4000 Abralon.

End results were a flawless, swirl-free and Tracer-free and Pigtail-free finish.

We also inspected to make sure 100% of all of our sanding marks were removed, we didn't just make the surface shiny.

Hoping to get to the pictures soon as the forum is caught up...

Mike Phillips
    Office: 800-869-3011 x206
    Mike.Phillips@Autogeek.net
    "Find something you like and use it often"

knows enough to be dangerous MrCLRider's Avatar

thats cool...just scares me to see a bunch of noobs wetsanding..I remeber being there before..so easy to rub too hard..
    Fergy-

You're only as good as your last detail

Director of Global Training, Events & Consumer Relations Mike Pennington's Avatar

One of the topics we try to instill at these classes is just that.... Advanced paint correction is "easy to do" but "difficult to master".

As you know, we really emphasis the opportunities, as well as, challenges associated with sanding & rotary work.

Mike Pennington
    Director of Global Training, Events and Consumer Relations
    Meguiar's, Inc.
    800-854-8073
    mpennington@meguiars.com

knows enough to be dangerous MrCLRider's Avatar

Mike Pennington, why do you have no rep power?? I just noticed that..is it a status the administrator put you under?
    Fergy-

You're only as good as your last detail

Quote Originally Posted by MrCLRider View Post
    Mike Pennington, why do you have no rep power?? I just noticed that..is it a status the administrator put you under?
    Mike is an Admin as am I, we looked into this in his account settings and couldn't see what the problems were?

I just tested his Rep Power by adding to it for his great answer above and it went from 0 to 43

Mike Phillips

Here's a few after shots brought to you by the students of Advanced Class #6

These shots were taken around noon with the sun directly overhead, so overhead in fact I couldn't squeeze the sun into this first picture but if you look at the very top of the picture you can see sun rays as the sun was just outside of my camera lens ability to include it in the frame. Point being... full-on sun for these after shots...

Our students removed all the orange peel by wet-sanding the paint flat and then successfully removed all their sanding marks and then restored a swirl-free, show car finish. (On a rental car )

In this reflection shot, note how clear and distinct the corner roof line reflection is in the hood of the car.

Same thing here, the reflected image is clear and distinct, no orange-peel effect.

Compare these after shots to the before shots on the first page of this thread.

Before Shot

After shots

This is a full size shot of the sun beating down on the hood, note how clear and distinct it appears.

This is a cropped out section 800 pixels wide of the same spot out of the original picture which was 2,816 x 1880

Again, thank you to all the students that complete our Advanced Class #6

Mike Phillips

I like this one!

"Every moment frontin and maxin
    Chillin in the car they spent all day waxin
    "

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information