• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pictures & Comments for Advanced Class #6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pictures & Comments for Advanced Class #6

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    [IMG]
    Here's our training car, it's a completely swirled-out black 2008 Dodge Avenger Rental Car.
    Just think, today there is a lot jokey somewhere wiping that Avenger down with a sand coated grease towel... All that work down the drain!!!
    Arizona Corvette Enthusiasts
    08 Atomic Orange Metallic C6 LS3 Z51 4LT
    98 Torch Red Convertible * SOLD
    82 Collector Edition * SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by ColonelCash View Post
      Curious how the air powered DA differs from the Porter Cable DA? Couldn't you use similar sanding pads on a G100 for the same effect? It was my understanding that the DA is a sander in its native form.

Opinions welcomed. Just something I have been thinking about recently.
      You are correct in saying the air powered DA sander was the beginning of the DA polisher as we know it. Back in the 80"s we developed a foam pad that spun directly onto an air powered DA sander and created an air powered DA polisher. Keep in mind,this was well before any type of electric DA sanders/polishers. That pad was called a W-6000, and as they say, the rest is history

Now for your question....A sander designed for finishing on automotive paint, like the one in the pictures, has a smaller orbit size. The G110 has a orbit size of 5/16", where as a finishing sander typically has a 3/16" or 3/32".

With that said, the orbit size on the G110 is just too big to do any "proper" finishing sanding. However,since the G110 orbit size is bigger,that is what helps contribute to swirl removal....

Hope that helps
      Mike Pennington
      Director of Global Training, Events and Consumer Relations
      Meguiar's, Inc.
      800-854-8073
      mpennington@meguiars.com

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Pennington View Post
        You are correct in saying the air powered DA sander was the beginning of the DA polisher as we know it. Back in the 80"s we developed a foam pad that spun directly onto an air powered DA sander and created an air powered DA polisher. Keep in mind,this was well before any type of electric DA sanders/polishers. That pad was called a W-6000, and as they say, the rest is history

Now for your question....A sander designed for finishing on automotive paint, like the one in the pictures, has a smaller orbit size. The G110 has a orbit size of 5/16", where as a finishing sander typically has a 3/16" or 3/32".

With that said, the orbit size on the G110 is just too big to do any "proper" finishing sanding. However,since the G110 orbit size is bigger,that is what helps contribute to swirl removal....

Hope that helps
        Thanks Mike, that does help. Something I have been pondering for a while now.

NOTE: Post count does not reflect actual detailing knowledge.

Comment

that looked like a whole lot of wet sanding..what were the paint readings after all of that?

What grit was being used?
          Fergy-

You're only as good as your last detail

Comment

Originally posted by HealthyCivic View Post
            Thanks a lot for the great class Mike. Even though I've read a lot on the forums and been up there twice before, I learned much more and got some great practical experience with wetsanding and the rotary buffer. Just as you said, the purpose for the class was not for us to master anything but it did raise my comfort level which is the best I can ask for. As I wrote before, the fact that Meguiar's educates people, lets them use their products, feeds them, and provides extra stuff like a certificate, drinks, a notepad, etc... ALL for FREE is amazing and unheard of. It really does say a lot about the company and how you guys care about the customers' experience. After realizing this, I'm a lifetime Meguiar's user no questions asked.

Whenever I tell anyone about it, they have a hard time believing me, no joke. They say things like "you have to give them your credit card while you're there right?" and "They must hassle you to buy their products right?" WRONG. But I DO buy the products and I will continue to buy the products because I know that Meguiar's is a good legitimate business that produces quality products and cares about the consumers. By doing things like this, Meguiar's also benefits because of the happy customers who tell others. I'm probably not going to tell many people about or be very loyal to a company that just makes good products. As soon as another company comes along with as good of a product, I'll just switch over and that's that. But Meguiar's stands out from the crowd in a good way so I'm constantly spreading the word and will continue to in the far future.

As far as Mike Phillips, we already know he's the man. He did a great job teaching the class. He was very thorough, he did not rush, he explained the purpose of the clinic, and was extremely informative. The class would not be the same without him! And I still have yet to find a forum with a guy who has made 28,000 posts of good, helpful, informative content rather than having every other post say "use the search feature."

I rest my case. Thank you.
            Rasky's Auto Detailing

Comment

Originally posted by MrCLRider View Post
              that looked like a whole lot of wet sanding..what were the paint readings after all of that?

What grit was being used?
              For what it's worth, teaching a class is a lot of work and sometimes you leave something out or forget something or just plain flat run out of time. Such was the case for this class; we took paint thickness readings before we started on the trunk lid, but we forgot to take the after readings.

This was all my fault.

I'm going to put some pictures up and was going to leave out the shots of the readings on the Paint Thickness Gauge because they're meaningless without the after readings and then hope that no one brought it up and now you go and ruin that plan.

The good news is at the end of the day we never broke through the clear layer and since this was a rental car all is well.

We did most of the first sanding passes with #1500 and then followed this with #3000 and #4000 using mostly the 3M Trizact System but also we did some finish sanding with the high grit #4000 Abralon.

End results were a flawless, swirl-free and Tracer-free and Pigtail-free finish.

We also inspected to make sure 100% of all of our sanding marks were removed, we didn't just make the surface shiny.

Hoping to get to the pictures soon as the forum is caught up...

Mike Phillips
              760-515-0444
              showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

thats cool...just scares me to see a bunch of noobs wetsanding..I remeber being there before..so easy to rub too hard..
                Fergy-

Comment

One of the topics we try to instill at these classes is just that.... Advanced paint correction is "easy to do" but "difficult to master".

As you know, we really emphasis the opportunities, as well as, challenges associated with sanding & rotary work.

Mike Pennington
                  Director of Global Training, Events and Consumer Relations
                  Meguiar's, Inc.
                  800-854-8073
                  mpennington@meguiars.com

Comment

Mike Pennington, why do you have no rep power?? I just noticed that..is it a status the administrator put you under?
                    Fergy-

Comment

Originally posted by MrCLRider View Post
                      Mike Pennington, why do you have no rep power?? I just noticed that..is it a status the administrator put you under?
                      Mike is an Admin as am I, we looked into this in his account settings and couldn't see what the problems were?

I just tested his Rep Power by adding to it for his great answer above and it went from 0 to 43

Mike Phillips
                      760-515-0444
                      showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Here's a few after shots brought to you by the students of Advanced Class #6

These shots were taken around noon with the sun directly overhead, so overhead in fact I couldn't squeeze the sun into this first picture but if you look at the very top of the picture you can see sun rays as the sun was just outside of my camera lens ability to include it in the frame. Point being... full-on sun for these after shots...

Our students removed all the orange peel by wet-sanding the paint flat and then successfully removed all their sanding marks and then restored a swirl-free, show car finish. (On a rental car )

In this reflection shot, note how clear and distinct the corner roof line reflection is in the hood of the car.

Same thing here, the reflected image is clear and distinct, no orange-peel effect.

Compare these after shots to the before shots on the first page of this thread.

Before Shot

After shots

This is a full size shot of the sun beating down on the hood, note how clear and distinct it appears.

This is a cropped out section 800 pixels wide of the same spot out of the original picture which was 2,816 x 1880

Again, thank you to all the students that complete our Advanced Class #6

Mike Phillips
                        760-515-0444
                        showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

I like this one!

"Every moment frontin and maxin
                          Chillin in the car they spent all day waxin
                          "

Comment

Working...