• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Newbie question: Difference in cutting and polishing pads.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie question: Difference in cutting and polishing pads.

Hello,
    I'm new to detailing and I'm having difficulty finding a definitive answer in regards to pads. I want to remove some swirl and light scratch marks from my black car after washing, claying, and orbital buffing (probably Meguiars UC) but don't know what type of pad to use. Is a cutting pad for a serious scratch removal project? Will a polishing pad be sufficient? Or is it vice versa, i don't know which one is more aggresive. Any advice and actual pad brand/ type recommendations would be much appreciated.

Best regards,

Joe

Re: Newbie question: Difference in cutting and polishing pads.

Welcome to Meguiars Online!!
    A cutting pad is for severe oxidation and deep scratches.
    A polishing pad should be enough. Although I would start with SwirlX and not Ultiamte Compound. Remember start with the least aggressive method possible. Also, I would buy some Grit Gaurds, and make sure you are using the correct dilution and a high quality wash soap. Such as Gold Class Shampoo and Conditioner.
    Joel
    Firefighter/EMT-B
    Rejuvenation Auto Detailing
    "Satisfaction Guaranteed or Your Dirt Back!!!"
    '99 F-150

Comment

My cutting pad has been collecting dust since I got it last season. As per advice from this forum (& also from the 'How To Use The PC7424'-DVD...or whatever it's called), I tried putting a bonnet over it and then use it to remove wax but after trying it once I personally liked the results I got with removing wax by hand using a microfiber towel.

But I digress...

I really only use 2 pads: (1) Polishing (Meg's #83, #80, & #09) and (2) Finsihing (NXT 2.0).

I have um...shat...what kind. Lake Country pads I believe. Got them when I picked up my PC7424 pkg last season. I forget how many I have, I think 2 finishing, 3 polishing, and 1 cutting.

Comment

Originally posted by joesephcho View Post
        Hello,
        I'm new to detailing and I'm having difficulty finding a definitive answer in regards to pads. I want to remove some swirl and light scratch marks from my black car after washing, claying, and orbital buffing (probably Meguiars UC) but don't know what type of pad to use. Is a cutting pad for a serious scratch removal project? Will a polishing pad be sufficient? Or is it vice versa, i don't know which one is more aggressive. Any advice and actual pad brand/ type recommendations would be much appreciated.

Best regards,

Joe
        If you're just starting out stick with our yellow foam pads as these are very versatile and can tackle most jobs.

Meguiar's doesn't recommend using our foam cutting pads on modern clear coat paints because the foam is aggressive enough that it can haze or micro-mar the paint.

You're welcome to test our cutting pad on your own and see if the paint on your car is affected by an aggressive foam pad and after inspecting the results decide whether a foam cutting pad is a good option for your paint system.

We buff out hundreds of cars at our classes and almost always use our yellow polishing foam pads and always get great results, just look at the thousands of pictures posted here,

Pictures from Saturday Classes
        Pictures and comments from our Saturday Detailing Classes!

And here,

Pictures from Thursday Night Classes
        Check out all the fun we're having!

Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Check out this thread,

PC + 83 not "Cutting" it! (The Limits of Dual Action Polisher)

You can click on the links or the pads for more information, if you click on the maroon cutting pad you can read the warning.

Washable 7" Soft Buff 2.0 Foam Pads
          W7207 Washable Foam Cutting Pad
          W8207 - Washable Foam Polishing Pad
          W9207 - Washable Foam Finishing Pad

Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Thank you for all your help guys.

Comment

Tim Lingor gives a good breakdown on the different pads: *NEW* Meguiar's Soft Buff 2.0 Pads Review!!!

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');