• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

does claying remove existing wax

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• does claying remove existing wax

I have 2 coats of tech wax on but just wondering if I clay certain spots will that remove existing protection.

Kind of yes and no. If the real question is, "Should I rewax the area after claying?" Then the answer is "Yes, you should."

Wax isn't like clear paint; it's a thin fragile film of a product whose primary characteristic is an ability to stick to things and to itself. One of the chief reasons a film sticks is precisely because it is a film. (This is actually an emerging field of molecular biology, by the way; bacterial infections are living films of bacteria, and the primary way of killing the infection is by destroying the integrity of the film. You can look it up.) Although I'm not a biologist, nor a chemist nor a chemical engineer, I think I can safely say that the "filminess" is compromised in the clayed area. Rewax to restore the integrity of the film.

Tom
    As the light changed from red to green to yellow and back to red again, I sat there thinking about life. Was it nothing more than a bunch of honking and yelling? Sometimes it seemed that way.

Comment

I recently detailed a car that had two coats of wax applied about two weeks prior. There were some spots that had a little bit of overspray on the car which the clay easily removed. My only conclusion is that to do so it had to take the wax that was over it off also.

Comment

Yes.

Claying is an abrasive process. After you clay a car, you should always re-apply polish and wax.

Mike
        Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Originally posted by Mosca

Wax isn't like clear paint; it's a thin fragile film of a product whose primary characteristic is an ability to stick to things and to itself. One of the chief reasons a film sticks is precisely because it is a film. (This is actually an emerging field of molecular biology, by the way; bacterial infections are living films of bacteria, and the primary way of killing the infection is by destroying the integrity of the film. You can look it up.) Although I'm not a biologist, nor a chemist nor a chemical engineer,

He did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night! Very nice write up.

This a good question about clay and wax. I've seen two different schools of thought. I subscribe to rewaxing after clay use.

I love to wax a car after claying. The wax spreads sooo smooth and easy.
          Last edited by scrub; Oct 24, 2004, 04:23 PM.

Comment

Hey,

I tend to agree. I would re-wax after claying.

Tim
            Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

My $ 0.02

If you want to remove all of your protectant (wax or polymer) clay will not do it. You would need to resort to a paint cleaner or other product made for that specific purpose. If you clay and think your coat of protection is still intact you'd be mistaken.

Clay removes some of that coating so if you clay you should reapply your choice of protectant.

Mosca's description is very close to the mark. Guess those Holiday Inn Express stays really do work.
              Jim
              My Gallery

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');