• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Washing the interior of a moldy car?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Washing the interior of a moldy car?

I've seen lots of interiors, but yours looks really awfull with all that mold in it.
    As some guys already point it out, 1st start with searching for leaks.
    But i don't know how to tackle such a moldy interior, but there are enough peeps who can help out.

If everything is in vain, then you have to re-upholster the entire interior.
    But let's hope it won't come to that point.

Anyway.....you will have a load of work to do, so good luck with getting the interior back into shape.

Comment

Id have it steam cleaned. Some molds will resist heat but if you are lucky that type will not. Then just scrub away!
      If its fast, loud, and runs on a flammable liquid...count me in.

Comment

you need to scrub with diluted bleach followed by allpurp then apply a miticide always wear mask and gloves.
        roger

Comment

Have you considered using kerosene and a match?

Wear goggles, gloves, and breathing apparatus. Protect your health.
          Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
          --Al Kimel

Comment

mabey buy a new car

Comment

I think you already know this but you have quite a job on your hands. This is caused from excessive moisture and lack of use. You need to fine the source of the moisture and fix it.

If it were me I'd remove all the seats and then the carpet. Have the seats cleaned professionally and treated with a mold inhibitor.

Separate the pad from the carpet and wash thoroughly with a strong carpet cleaner solution and a mold inhibitor. You might try this with the padding but it may fall apart and need to be replaced. You might be better off ordering a replacement carpet and pad, they're not as expensive as you might think.

For all the vinyl a strong APC and a light chlorine solution. You might have to go over it a couple of Timi and need a brush to get all the crevices.

Once your satisfied, get a dehumidifier in there and let it run. Use the external drain tube so you wont have to empty the pan every few hours. I suspect that you might have to run it for a week or so.
              BobbyG

Comment

Originally posted by Sandstone View Post
                • first fix the source of the leak(s)
                • vacuum thoroughly with a shop vac and disinfect the vacuum afterwards
                • Use Clorox wipes as Mike suggested but also get some commercial disinfectant like Spartan Sani-T-10. This is an extra strength version of Lysol liquid cleaner.
                • Get a bunch of old terry cloth rags and go to town wiping with the disinfectant (follow the label instructions), throwing all the rags away
                • use a carpet extractor to shampoo and rise the disinfectant out. Rent one from Home depot or your local supermarket. I would not use my own.
                • follow the previous post regarding carpet removal/cleaning
                • Air dry with a coulple of fans and/or stick a dehumidifier in there for a few days
                • after you think all is dry, stick a few tubs of DampRid in there for as long as they last (labels say 45 days).
                • final cleaning with some 39 and/or 40 for the plastic and Odor Eliminator for the fabric and carpet.
                • Don't forget to clean the glass, trunk and vents
                I know u are a chemical consultant,but clorax bleach wipes to me sounds like if i would use that on my black carpet on my vette it would turn white!!!
                I don't think that would be a good idea..Damn this is a Meguiars forum can one of their consultant chime in on what Meg. product job would take off some mold

Comment

Without identifying and eliminating the source of the mould you can't get rid of it, there are many Counteractant type products that mask odours; what you need to do is remove and clean and thoroughly dry the whole area; carpets, upholstery (inc foam and etc) that is affected, including the headliner and metal floor pan (don’t forget to clean/replace the cabin air filter).

Just like mould and mildew contamination in other areas, you cannot wash or shampoo it away. This only exasperates the problem. Mould is a form of fungus which forms anywhere there’s moisture trapped in the air, and is spread by releasing millions of tiny spores into the air. You cannot see the spores but you may be able to see moulds, grey, green or black in colour, growing on damp surfaces.

Dirt and moisture are essential to mildew propagation, which is very difficult to eradicate as mould uses enzymes to digest nutrients from organic materials, the mould forms on top of the material and also down into its fibres leaving circular or black spots in an irregular pattern. Mould / mildew needs to be neutralized as it will not dissipate without treatment as the spores are still present and moisture will regenerate them. When mould spores are present in large quantities, they can present a health hazard to humans, potentially causing allergic reactions and respiratory problems. Some moulds also produce Mycotoxin’s that can pose serious health risks to humans and animals.

When mould spores are present in large quantities, they can present a health hazard to humans, potentially causing allergic reactions and respiratory problems so use the appropriate Personal Protection Equipment (PPE)

Carpets, Mats, Fabric and Vinyl Upholstery

Microban Mildew & Mold Remover is an environmentally-safe, anti-microbial formula that destroys mould, mildew, and other bacterial odours on contact. When you cannot use chlorine, Microban is a very effective solution. The formula is a water-based, non-flammable bactericide, fungicide, deodorant and anti-microbial, all in one formulation

Application - do not dilute, use full strength, apply via sprayer to porous surfaces until moist, no not over wet, brush into carpeting, allow to dry 10-20 minutes.

Due to VOC Regulations Microban cannot ship to California

Microban® Disinfectant Spray - environmental protection against: germs, odours, mould and mildew-http://www.baneclene.com/catalog/microban.html The first thing to do is to raise as much dirt / dust from the carpet with a brush by using a circular motion over the whole carpeted area; this will loosen the debris and bring it to the top of the carpets pile, enabling a vacuum to remove it

Sporicidin® Enzyme Mold Stain Cleaner - concentrate is a blend of enzymes in a low foaming solution formulated to loosen and remove dried debris, protein, blood and mucin deposits. It effectively cleans both natural and synthetic fibres that have been soiled with organic and inorganic debris. Ideal for use as a pre-cleaner for mould remediation, and restoration applications

Sterilization

Follow-up remediation with a vapour steam cleaner to ensure all mould spores and fungi are neutralized paying particular attention to HVAC vents and ducting, upholstery seams and stitching.

Mould Remover for Leather upholstery

Leather Master Mold Remover (N-Nubuck / Alcantara®) (A-Aniline / Non-Coated) (P-Protected / Coated) - you don't have to live near the coast to experience mould or mildew fungus spores on your leather. It can also occur during hot, humid weather in non-coastal areas. Fungus growth is also a concern for garaged vehicles; you may notice dark or white blotches where two areas of the leather touch or areas not used. If the contamination is not removed, the fungus will dissolve the leather, forming small pits.

Just like mould and mildew contamination in other areas, you cannot wash or shampoo it away. This only exasperates the problem. The fungus is caused by living organisms that must be killed before the leather is cleaned. This product is effective on most forms of bacterial or fungus growth.
                  If the fungus has caused any damage to the pigmentation layer of the finished leather you need to take care of this as a separate issue (See "Automotive Leather Upholstery Repair and Renovation")
                  ~ Providing unbiased advice that Professional and Enthusiast Detailer’s Trust ~ Blog – http://togwt1980.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');