• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Callaway Iron Set - Metal Polish Safe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Callaway Iron Set - Metal Polish Safe?

Just picked up a new set of Callaway Fusion irons (Big Bertha series) and was curious if any of the Megs metal polishes would be safe to apply to the heads? Was looking for a little barrier to ease in wiping off grass stains and such. Was going to use it on the bottom side of the clubs, not directly on the face...although it wouldn't hurt my game, might actually help.

I've got NXT All Metal Polish and M93 from the Marine line at the house.

Thanks!
    NOTE: Post count does not reflect actual detailing knowledge.

Re: New Callaway Iron Set - Metal Polish Safe?

What type of coating? Chrome, anodized aluminum? I'm not too familiar with golf equipment in general, even though Callaway's Carlsbad headquarters are less than 30 minutes from me

Comment

If they are uncoated, you can certainly polish them up.

If you are unsure, or cant get an answer, you can just wax them.
      2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

I have no idea what the coating is on them, although I will see what I can find out. I'm assuming they are some type of polished metal (non-coated) but I could be wrong. They don't appear to have any type of clearcoat on them.

Comment

For what it's worth, I've used cleaner wax on the top of my woods before, shines them up nicely. As for the face bottom and back, I just clean them with glass cleaner and a tooth brush, as they are going to be dirty by the next swing! I use APC on my grips as well, makes them clean and a little tacky which is a good thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Weed View Post
            For what it's worth, I've used cleaner wax on the top of my woods before, shines them up nicely. As for the face bottom and back, I just clean them with glass cleaner and a tooth brush, as they are going to be dirty by the next swing! I use APC on my grips as well, makes them clean and a little tacky which is a good thing.
            Thanks for the info, Tom. I knew I wouldn't be the only MOL member who wanted to keep the clubs looking good. I'll give them a good cleaning tonight, hitting the links tomorrow!

Comment

Colonel,
              I'm curious to see how you end up liking them. I am thinking of losing my mind for about 15 minutes and getting new irons and woods soon.
              Michael

Talent hits a target no-one else can hit; genius hits targets no-one else can see. - Schopenhauer

Comment

My irons aren't Callaway, but they have a couple of copper inserts in the heel to help with weight. I use NXT AMP on them on a regular basis to keep the copper red and not black with excellent results.

If you're really into keeping your clubs looking new, look into a set of Club Gloves. They're a neoprene (or leather) cover for each club, plus they have a large number tag on them making it easy to find a club. I've had a set ever since I bought my new irons, and I don't have the usual nicks from the irons knocking together. As a bonus I find that replacing the cover after hitting a shot helps to knock the dirt and grass off keeping them cleaner...

Comment

Wax on face of woods = Less side spin. ( illegal for tournament play, but good for taking buddies money. )

Wax on irons = less spin not good
                  SRT-10 Silver

Comment

I have that same set of irons! my dad got the ben hogan series a while ago and gave me his old ones haha, great clubs though! Let me know how the cleaning goes as the dirtinies of mine has really been bugging me!

Comment

Take that back, my dad gave me a new (new to me atleast) set of irons a friend didnt want anymore so now I have some Callaway X12's! Went and hit them a bit today and they are great, only problem is they need a cleaning Just got a Ping G5 driver head someone bought for the shaft and waiting to get a new shaft on it. Havent had a good driver since my friend broke my Big Bertha so hopefully this one will be better

I say we have some kind of MOL tournament!

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');