• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone upset over the new mileage standards for vehicles?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone upset over the new mileage standards for vehicles?

I just learned yesterday that the government is requiring a 35.5 mpg standard by 2016. I didn't care until I read several stories today that this means that cars, trucks, and SUV's will be getting smaller (and more expensive) to meet that standard. I like full sized cars and trucks. I don't believe that the government should tell us what we can buy. If the automakers want to make smaller cars and people want them, then fine. But don't cut out and punish those of us who want bigger vehicles.
    You must stand for something or you'll fall for anything.

Re: Anyone upset over the new mileage standards for vehicles?

As long as it's maybe 1k extra or so, I'd gladly take 35.5 - so I'm not upset actually just the opposite. Perhaps they should broaden the guzzler tax for those that truly MUST have the ineffecient (in 2016) vehicles or perhaps a break for businesses that need a larger vehicle. Europe is full of smaller vehicles, they seem to do well. I'd daresay we might drive the overall largest cars in the world.

One must also remember that each year cars seem to creep upwards in price on their own, so any given car will most likely climb in MSRP by the amount and surely more anyway. I know that is not directly related to the topic I replied to above, but still.
    2018 Subaru Outback 3.6R Touring - Crystal White Pearl

Comment

This usually means the 'fleet's average' rather than each individual car's. For example, in many countries, fleet average is higher than 40mpg, yet you still see gas guzzlers being sold because the same company sells more highly economical cars. This is the way I always understood it at least.

Comment

I have no problem getting rid of Navigators and Escalades driving to the grocery store.
        2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

We have a 45 MPG Hybrid for in town use and a 22 MPG Van for our family of five trips. Doesn't it all average out?
          The price of fuel will ultimately dictate what we drive. Legislate the Oil Companies not the consumer!!!!

Cheers!
          Richard

Comment

Thought the fleet avg by then is supposed to be 42? Still, as said above, it is the average of all cars. So, Ford can have the Fiesta and the new 5.0 Stang, yay!

Comment

The can get those kind of mpg's in other countries, so I don't see what all the fuss is about.
              AeroCleanse, LLC
              Wisconsin's Elite Detailing Service
              www.aerocleanse.com

Comment

Originally posted by foilr View Post
                We have a 45 MPG Hybrid for in town use and a 22 MPG Van for our family of five trips. Doesn't it all average out?
                The price of fuel will ultimately dictate what we drive. Legislate the Oil Companies not the consumer!!!!

Cheers!
                Richard
                You're right, the fuel price will dictate what we drive, but it shouldn't. I disagree with your statement legislate the oil companies not the consumer for these points - currently, the oil companies make only 4% profit on a gallon of gas while the government taxes that same gallon of gas at 15%(may be even higher once you add state tax on it and remember the oil companies actually drills, refines, and transport all of it for just 4% where the government just collects it's %15). And further crackdowns on the oil companies will just be passed down to the consumer anyway.

I'm just getting tired of all the useless hype that just erodes my hard earned paycheck.
                You must stand for something or you'll fall for anything.

Comment

Although this is certainly an interesting and somewhat "Car Crazy" related topic, it dips a bit too far into politics and in an effort to keep everyone friends, we simply don't discuss politics on MOL.

I'm going to lock this up. Thanks for understanding

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');