• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pictures & Comments - 1954 Oldsmobile Rocket 88 Convertible Extreme Makeover - May 21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pictures & Comments - 1954 Oldsmobile Rocket 88 Convertible Extreme Makeover - May 21

Pictures & Comments - 1954 Oldsmobile Rocket 88 Convertible Extreme Makeover - May 21st, 2009

Bob just arrived with his beautiful 1954 Oldsmobile Rocket 88 convertible and we've taken some pictures to document the swirls and next up we're going to start doing some Test Spots to dial in a system to polish to perfection.

Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Re: Sign-up: 1954 Oldsmobile Extreme Makeover - Thursday Night, May 21st

Had a lot of fun Mike. It was a pleasure seeing you, and all the guys again. Hope to see you all again in a few.
    Erik Mejia

Polishing Paint removes the stress in my life, and the swirls on my car.

Comment

Re: Pictures & Comments - 1954 Oldsmobile Rocket 88 Convertible Extreme Makeover - Ma

Process Photos

We felt the paint and we could feel little bumps sporadically here and there so we went a head and clayed the paint and found a few contaminants which claying removed.

We used the rotary buffer on the hood to knock out the swirls and most of the more shallow RIDS.

Here's Mike aka C30-Mike taking a self-portrait shot...

We stayed on the safe side of aggressive using a W-7207 foam cutting pad with M105 for the rotary work.

For everything except the hood we used our W7207 Foam Cutting pad with Ultimate Compound on the 5.0 Speed Setting.

Note that we tested the W7207 with the Ultimate Compound first and made sure we were getting GREAT results before using this cutting pad over the entire car.

Here's Bob the owner working some SwirlX on the outside rear driver's fender. Behind him are the usual suspects.

Here's Andrew aka andrewc_11890 on the forum doing some final polishing work...

Here's Erik aka Erik Mejia demonstrating the proper position to tackle lower panels.

Here's Jim using the Brinkman Swirl Finder Light to inspect his progress...

Here's Maserati Mario and Ryan L. applying some Tech Wax to the front clip...

Here's Andrew applying NXT Tech Wax to the rear trunk lid...

Here's ARTHUR working on the rear fender...

Erik applying wax with the G110

Here's ClearlyCoated and Maserati Mario talking about the old days as they gently remove the dried wax...

Here's Art helping us to remove the wax and wipe the car completely down...

Paul aka the other pc uses a brush to remove some dust and wax residue from some trim...

Here's Paul removing a wax smudge we couldn't see under garage lighting...
      Last edited by Mike Phillips; May 22, 2009, 03:58 PM. Reason: Andrew - andrewc_11890
      Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Re: Pictures & Comments - 1954 Oldsmobile Rocket 88 Convertible Extreme Makeover - Ma

Here's a few after pictures...

Here's our Transformation Team!

Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

looks fantastic. Great work guys.

Notice on the speedometer, the gear range. From the left it is N Dr. S Lg R.

No P for park at all. It would be confusing at first. lol
          quality creates its own demand

Comment

The guys in the front row did most of the work. I was asked to step into the picture to fill a missing back row space for balancing out the photo!

Comment

Fun shots...

Mike Phillips
              760-515-0444
              showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

very cool,

what was the process/products used.

I saw some SwirlX in the "during" pictures.

Were SMAT or DAT products used?

again, looks great!
                Nick
                Tucker's Detailing Services
                815-954-0773
                2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

Originally posted by Tuck91 View Post

what was the process/products used.

I saw some SwirlX in the "during" pictures.

Were SMAT or DAT products used?

again, looks great!

We followed Meguiar's philosophy of using the least aggressive product to get the job done while doing our test spots, so we tried,

SwirlX with a W9702 Finishing pad - Removed light swirls but left too many of the deeper swirls.

SwirlX with a W8702 Polishing pad - Removed more swirls than the finishing pad but still not working fast enough or effectively enough.

Tried Ultimate Compound with the W8207 Polishing Pad and saw a huge improvement in swirl removal.

Next we tested our W7207 Cutting pad and inspected for swirl removal and quality of finish left behind and both were stellar so after first testing all our options we proved the Ultimate Compound with a W7207 Foam Cutting pad on our G110 on the 5.0 Speed Setting produced the best results so that's how the paint was tackled for the first step.

After the compounding step we re-polished each square inch using SwirlX with our W9207 Foam Finishing Pad and then after that applied one coat of NXT Tech Wax using a new, dedicated pad for waxing.
                  • We kept it simple.
                  • We tested thoroughly before choosing an approach
                  • Our end results mimicked the results from our Test Spot

Mike Phillips
                  760-515-0444
                  showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
                    We followed Meguiar's philosophy of using the least aggressive product to get the job done while doing our test spots, so we tried,

SwirlX with a W9702 Finishing pad - Removed light swirls but left too many of the deeper swirls.

SwirlX with a W8702 Polishing pad - Removed more swirls than the finishing pad but still not working fast enough or effectively enough.

Tried Ultimate Compound with the W8207 Polishing Pad and saw a huge improvement in swirl removal.

Next we tested our W7207 Cutting pad and inspected for swirl removal and quality of finish left behind and both were stellar so after first testing all our options we proved the Ultimate Compound with a W7207 Foam Cutting pad on our G110 on the 5.0 Speed Setting produced the best results so that's how the paint was tackled for the first step.

After the compounding step we re-polished each square inch using SwirlX with our W9207 Foam Finishing Pad and then after that applied one coat of NXT Tech Wax using a new, dedicated pad for waxing.
                    • We kept it simple.
                    • We tested thoroughly before choosing an approach
                    • Our end results mimicked the results from our Test Spot

and mostly done will all consumer line products available at the store
                    Nick
                    Tucker's Detailing Services
                    815-954-0773
                    2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

As usual, we all had a great time!
                      THANKS MEGUIAR'S for opening up your garage for us!
                      After a hard days work I was very tired and was not in the mood for another car, but this was a pleasure to work on and my dreams were full of TNOG again!
                      Thanks again Meguiar's

Comment

Awesome job guys! car looks great! I really like how so many consumer products were used, it really shows what can be done Yall need to place an alternate headquarters in Dallas so I can make some of these

Comment

Shazam!

Instructive write-up and outstanding results. Thank you for sharing this.
                          Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
                          --Al Kimel

Comment

It was a ton of fun! Thanks again Mike for setting up such a cool night

I once put swirls in my paint just to see what it looked like.

I don't always detail cars, but when I do, I prefer Meguiar's.
                            Remove swirls my friends.

Comment

I had a great time! even though it was my first to attend the makeover, everybody was very friendly to everyone!!!
                              That is why i am going to attend another Thursday night Garage Open this coming June 4th!
                              Meguiars rock!

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');