• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What type of wash mit/sponge do you use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SL1CK
    I really want to try Meguiars Ultra Plush Chenille Wash Mitt. Hopefully soon...
    ME 2, I want the pad though. I can't use mits as I have dry hands, and it makes them worse.

My plan is to use the Ultra plush chenille wash pad for the top half of the car

and then a vera angle brush for the bottom

Will the brush scratch the car or leave swirls though? I plan on only using it for the bottom.

If I really like how it's going, i'll get the wide body brush for the top.
    BMW E90 320d.
    Newbie Detailer - South Africa

Comment

Broken1, You don't have to limit your use to only the lower panels. Meguiars body brushes will not leave any swirl marks. I use them on my wifes black Mercedes ML350 and they've never left any marks.

Comment

I use a brush on a handle for my SUV and have never had any problems. After washing the truck I rince out the bucket, then the brush head and hang it up to dry in its own little place. I use to use the wash mitt, when we had the lower cars but gave it up when I got the truck.

ED

Comment

I use a Mircotek Microfiber Sponge... Awesome stuff
          #21 - Synthetic Sealant For Sale!
          Will ship internationally!
          Check the 'For Sale' section.
          Also selling #7 & Backing Plates

Comment

Originally posted by broken1
            ME 2, I want the pad though. I can't use mits as I have dry hands, and it makes them worse.

My plan is to use the Ultra plush chenille wash pad for the top half of the car

and then a vera angle brush for the bottom

Will the brush scratch the car or leave swirls though? I plan on only using it for the bottom.

If I really like how it's going, i'll get the wide body brush for the top.
            The versa angle body brush won't and shouldn't scratch, once you get it, brush your fingers across the bristles, you notice it's very, very soft, and the way it feels will give you a feeling of it being safe on your finish.

Comment

Originally posted by F-150
              The versa angle body brush won't and shouldn't scratch, once you get it, brush your fingers across the bristles, you notice it's very, very soft, and the way it feels will give you a feeling of it being safe on your finish.
              I got a versa-angle body brush today and all I can say is WOW! It holds so much soap and water, REALLY works well and it's so easy to use!! It's also great you can detach the head - for difficult to reach spots!!!

WOW! I'm a convert. Meg's brushes all the way!!!
              BMW E90 320d.
              Newbie Detailer - South Africa

Comment

I'm glad you made the decision on washing your car thw brush way. When I bought my first truck, it was a real pain washing the truck. Espically the roof, around the rack. I found my wash brush at the car care plkace I use to buy ny MEG. supplies, but it's not a MEG brush.
                Anyway good luck and happy detailing

ED

Comment

Depending on the amount of dirt, I like to use:

Sheepskin Mitts
                  Grout Sponge
                  MF coated Sponge

Always double rinse and I spray my soap on with a foam gun.
                  Trust me...Your patience will be rewarded...

Comment

I have to agree with the others here that I have got a number of months into my wash mitt. I also wash and dry it after each use.

Comment

Two, three washes max... then toss

Call me crazy - but I buy the deep pile microfiber wash mitts at the Dollar store. Due to the amount of road grim/salt/sand/undercoating (it’s Canada not California)... the pristine white mitt gets dirty quick (especially if washing around the fenders/wheels).

Depending on how much sand I can remove with a pressure washer - the glove gets tossed after the 2nd use. I can't chance embedded dirt swirling my paint. 3 washes tops!

Then it gets donated to a friend (who doesn't know the difference and thinks their great) or it goes in the garbage.

At $1 each - I buy 10 or so a year. 4-5 washes in the winter... 12-15 in the summer. It’s not a huge investment and I never worry about contamination or paint damage.

http://users.efni.com/~twm/delsoltagline.jpg

Comment

I really want to try the versa brush as all of the positive reviews have me excited to try it. But I'm wondering, the purpose of the plush mitts/sponges is to trap dirt in the nap of the fibers as you glide it across the panels. It then gets released as you dip it in the water bucket. But with the brush, where does the dirt go? Is it just pushed around and suspended in the soapy suds clinging to the panels until the car gets its rinsing bath?

Comment

With the versa angle body brushes, the dirt goes up into the bristles and seems to be whisked away from the tips of the brush.

You can run it against a grit guard in your bucket to get the embedded dirt out. I just got a grit guard and it seems to work very well. Also, I use two buckets, one for the soap and one to rinse the brush out after using it on a body panel.

RamAirV1
                          2015 Dodge Charger R/T Scat Pack 392Granite Crystal
                          2006 GTO Impulse Blue

Comment

Re: What type of wash mit/sponge do you use?

So far I use the chennile. Need to try a lambs wool one.
                            MOL- Welcome to the world of real detailer's

Comment

Boars Hair Brush on paint and glass, dedicated sponge on wheels 2 bucket method

Comment

Microfiber, no scratches or swirls. The only waty to go.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');