• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Re-using sand paper?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re-using sand paper?

So I just bought some Meguiar's wet sanding paper (I think I got every grit available, one sheet from ADS). First time wet sanding (it's OK though, this hood of my own needs repainting in the future anyway)

And, well, I'm soaking all of the ones I bought, but I don't think I'll need to use them all.

I probably could have cut them but I wasn't sure they'd wrap around the backing pad after I did. So anyway my questions is:

A) How can I store the paper I don't use? It's soaking now...

B) How do I know if any paper I use is re-usable? And if so, how do I store it?

Thankee!

PS: I think I put too much car wash in my spray bottle/water mixture. Should I try to dilute it further or will it be OK?

Re: Re-using sand paper?

Originally posted by xantonin View Post
    So I just bought some Meguiar's wet sanding paper (I think I got every grit available, one sheet from ADS). First time wet sanding (it's OK though, this hood of my own needs repainting in the future anyway)

And, well, I'm soaking all of the ones I bought, but I don't think I'll need to use them all.

I probably could have cut them but I wasn't sure they'd wrap around the backing pad after I did. So anyway my questions is:

--Let it dry out. You should only have wet,what you were using.

--What you havn't used,you put in a bag or box,in a dry place.When it doesn't work anymore,it's exhausted.

PS: I think I put too much car wash in my spray bottle/water mixture. Should I try to dilute it further or will it be OK?[/
    --I can't tell you the ratio,I just use water.

Comment

Rinse each paper off under flowing water, for example in the kitchen sink and then place them some place they can dry without getting contaminated. They will want to curl up into a roll so that makes drying them complicated.

I've left the Nikken brand finishing papers soaking in water for over 2 years and they were perfectly fine to use. What happened was I placed some papers into a sealable Tupperware container and then misplaced it. Over 2 years later I found it and they were still clean and ready to go. The Nikken brand papers have a latex/paper backing so the backing material won't breakdown like most wet/dry papers that use just paper for the backing. (What happens to paper if you leave it in water too long?)

You could also just rinse them and place them in either a large zip-lock baggie or a Tupperware container, leave the bag or container open till they are dry and then seal.

The finishing papers do command a premium price so it's understandable to save them if you haven't used them yet.

If you've sanded with the paper and after you're done with the sanding project you don't plan on sanding for a while then simply write the paper off and toss it.

PS: I think I put too much car wash in my spray bottle/water mixture. Should I try to dilute it further or will it be OK?
      You only need a few drops of car wash solution for your fresh water source in a spray bottle. Maybe pour some soapy water out of the bottle and add some more fresh water. Too much soap won't hurt anything but what you don't want are suds when sanding, that's why M0016 Hi Tech Wash is low sudsing.

Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Don't know if you've seen this but for what it's worth...

Hand Sanding Techniques

Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Hi Mike,i just went to have a look.nice write up!

I didn't know Japan made good quality sandpaper.I thought that when I seen the maufacturer-Nikken.

I've only ever used 3M,as that's all i seem to be able to get a hold of.

That's one of the reasons i've checked a lot of threads about scratchx2.0 etc.In the past,i've only been able to use 3M compounds.I normally obtained these from a local body shop(I found they were okay).But now i can get scratchX2.0. So am looking forward to it.

Comment

Hi guys, thanks for the replies!

Unfortunately I already tackled this project and failed with my hood, I wore out the clear coat. But I learnt a lot and plan to tackle another area later so I want to save the paper. I just had my hood repainted so it's alright.

I like the idea to store the paper in the ziplock bags, I'll give that a try. For a few weeks I've just had the paper sitting in a bucket of car wash and water, I think I'll rinse them off and dry them.

Thanks also for the link to hand sanding techniques, I wish I saw it earlier lol

I'll check it out

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');