• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there an adapter for using DA backing plates with a rotary?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there an adapter for using DA backing plates with a rotary?

Saw this 5/8" rotary buffer extender on ADS

And it got the gears in mind to spinning (always a dangerous proposition since my mind tends to spin in a true circular orbit increasing the probability of brain burn-through - hah!). Is there a similar adapter that you could bolt onto your rotary with a 5/16" threaded male-end that would allow you to use your DA backing plates rather than buying a separate set of rotary specific BP's?

If not, why not? Is there some limitation to the technology that would make this impractical? I couldn't find such an adapter on either ADS or PAC, but I was hoping that someone else might know where to find one.

BTW, if they don't exist, I lay claim to the idea!

Re: Is there an adapter for using DA backing plates with a rotary?

I don't believe there is a conversion to use a DA plate on the rotary.

The rotary and DA plates are quite different. For example, the W68DA and W68 plates look the same, but have a different internal structure. The DA needs more support near the backing plate edge than the rotary.
    Chris
    Dasher Detailing Services

Comment

Don't see why it wouldn't work.

You could also use a simple collar style adapter that is threaded to fit the D/A backing plate thread on the inside, and the rotary on the outside (similar to this piece but obviously not the same:

Shop and save on the Mic Stand Euro Thread Adapter at Woodwind & Brasswind.

You could have a local machine shop start with some sort of tubing material, thread the inside to 5/16"-24 and then the outside to 5/8"-11 thread. Cut the tubing to the appropriate length so the adapter spins onto the D/A backing plate thread and into the rotary adapter you posted.

You could even sell the ones you don't need! Certainly wouldn't cost a lot of money to do this.
      Kevin Brown
      NXTti Instructor, Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team, Meguiar's Distributor/Retailer

Comment

I would be concerned with the torque that the rotary develops and such a small dia. shaft the D/A has. unless it was case harden might do the trick.

Comment

Working...
        X
        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');