• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Found PC 7424 in dad's garage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Found PC 7424 in dad's garage

So, I found a PC 7424 in my dad's garage. Unfortunately he doesn't know anything about it so I come to you for advice. The label says 6" HD orbital buffer. It must be over 5 years old and it is the polisher and counterweight(?) only. It says on the counterweight that it is for only 5" pads.

What else do I need to get this thing running? Backplate and pads, anything else to make the meguiar's pads work with this? Is there any reason to think it is any less safe than newer models? I was planning on getting the pc 7424xp when it comes out soon, but that was before I knew I could get a free old one, so I come to you for help!

I plugged it in and turned it on and it works but one thing concerns me. Now, keep in mind I have only ever hand waxed stuff before so I have no clue, but when I turned it on and put the power on 5 it was shaking my hand pretty darn hard. It surprised me and I just want to confirm with you guys that is normal. Thanks!

-Zack

Re: Found PC 7424 in dad's garage

if its vibrating that bad, its broke...just send it to me, I fix them...LOL...it is supposed to vibrate like that.
    Fergy-

You're only as good as your last detail

Comment

Get a W68DA backing plate (comes with a free 2.0 pad at ADS) and get some pads and go for it.

Nice find!

If all else fails, find an ACE hardware, I read they are Porter Cable warranty shop and can check the brushes etc for you.....
      Philippians 2:14 - Do all things without grumbling or questioning,

Comment

Porter Cable makes this optional counter weight available for their Porter Cable 7424 polisher if you upgrade from their 5 inch backing plate/pad to a 6 inch, Hook-and-Loop Backing Plate. We (PAC) have never had any problems or failures using our Flexible 6 inch Backing Plate with our 6-1/2 inch foam pads with the stock weight for normal detailing. If you detail for a living where the machine is in constant use, we (PAC) recommend switching to this counter weight.

Porter Cable 7424 Polisher Counter Weight $3.95

Comment

Hopefully you also found the spanner wrench that came with the PC7424

If not, here ya go:

This flat wrench is used to remove the original polishing pad/backing plate that comes on Porter Cable dual-action polishers. It is also used to install or remove any of our Hook and Loop Backing Plates. This wrench comes with the machine. We stock these wrenches as a courtesy just in case you lost or misplaced the original wrench.

Porter Cable 7424/7366 Replacement Wrench $2.95

Comment

Get a D/A backing plate and a few polishing and finishing pads (like microfiber towels, you can never have enough of them). If you want to go the OTC route, you can go to your local walmart, autozone, pepboys, etc, and pick up the ultimate compound and swirlx. Also, take your PC with you to your local hardware store and pick up a few bolts to put on each side where the handle would go (if you plan on not using it) and it will help keep the top black plastic housing from rattling and making noise...

Comment

Originally posted by ClearlyCoated View Post

Porter Cable makes this optional counter weight available for their Porter Cable 7424 polisher if you upgrade from their 5 inch backing plate/pad to a 6 inch, Hook-and-Loop Backing Plate. We (PAC) have never had any problems or failures using our Flexible 6 inch Backing Plate with our 6-1/2 inch foam pads with the stock weight for normal detailing. If you detail for a living where the machine is in constant use, we (PAC) recommend switching to this counter weight.

Porter Cable 7424 Polisher Counter Weight $3.95
              I didn't think it made a difference with what counter weight was on the machine???

I have a G100, essentially a PC 7335 with 5" counter weight.....

Your saying it would work better with a 6" counter weight? Would it make the pad spin better? or??

I read a thread here and someone tested the 5" and 6" counter weight with no difference in performance.

Ahh here it is:

The Dual Action Counterweight 'Controversy'

Not wanting to open a debate or definately not slamming you at all in the least, just getting clarification on this whole deal

If my G100 could perform better with a 6" counter weight for 4 bucks, then it would be worth it.....

You guys need to get the W68DA backing plate for the new 2.0 pads, I really don't like the 2.0 with the older backing plates, probably just me though!

L8R

Aaron

Comment

It's not my comment - it's the ad copy from PAC (properautocare.com), which is why I added PAC in parentheses after every "we" pronoun. I have also read through the the thread you linked, and it's really a matter of choice based upon the DA operator. I was just linking an option for the OP since he asked about the counterweight and because it's relatively inexpensive at under $4.

I actually think it's more important that he has the flat wrench to immobilize the spindle when attaching or removing his backing plate.

EDIT: I personally don't think the counterweight makes that big of a difference. Although my PC7336 has a 6, my G110 has a counterweight that warns not to use with pads larger than 5". Yet the new W68DA backing plate is 5.75", designed for use with 7" diameter Soft Buff pads and seeming requiring no upgrade to a larger counterweight.

Comment

flat wrench is handy

I think one poster in the link says the counter weights are for the sandpaper when using it as a sander......

Someday I'll try it and see for myself.....

Funny your G110 says not to take pads larger than 5"....I saw that in another thread a while ago.....seems to work fine though

L8R

Comment

Great find. I would not worry to much about the counterweight. Make sure you have the spinner wrench, backing plate and pads. Enjoy it.
                    quality creates its own demand

Comment

Don't worry about which counterweight the polisher has, forum consensus says it doesn't make any difference.

Remember, this tool was originally made for sanding wood as as such was designed for attaching a thin piece of sanding paper to the machine, not a thick foam pad that will become wet with product, (weight).

Also, don't judge the vibrations by turning the tool on while holding it in the air.

Don't turn it on until you have a backing plate with a foam pad and some product on the pad and the pad is in contact with the paint, then turn it on.

Mike Phillips
                      760-515-0444
                      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Thanks for all the great info. Do I need any kind of adapter to use the rotary backing plate or will it attach directly?

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
                          Don't turn it on until you have a backing plate with a foam pad and some product on the pad and the pad is in contact with the paint, then turn it on.

Good advice, I'm still finding spatters from when I did this the first time over the weekend.

Comment

Now you are set for a new dimension in your detailing.

Comment

Originally posted by ceyko View Post
                              Good advice, I'm still finding spatters from when I did this the first time over the weekend.
                              I too made this rookie mistake.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');