• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BMW Stage III - Paint Correction ("pic heavy" is an understatement!!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BMW Stage III - Paint Correction ("pic heavy" is an understatement!!)

My stepfather (who got me into detailing and performance mechanics) always said you learn something on every job. Might be big or it might be small or you might not be aware of it till much later. So what did I learn on this job? That I am far better at detailing cars than taking pictures.

The constant rain this week forced me to erect a temporary shelter and enclose my carport with vinyl sheeting. When it wasn't raining it was windy and overcast. This weather hid the sun for all but the fewest moments. So I was forced to rely on artificial light. I have a Brinkmann Dual Xenon, a Brinkmann Xenon/LED Handheld, and a set of 1000w shop lights. No matter the angle...no matter the exposure setting...I simply could not get the swirls and anything but the deepest RIDS to be captured. When I examined the car prior to quoting the job I noticed it was what I would consider to be covered in swirls from light to medium in density and depth. On the rare occasions I had some fleeting sunlight I couldn't get the camera settings to do anything but flash an "auto exposure" warning and drown out the pictures with sunlight...

Ok, ok enough excuses for my crappy camera (thanks Kodak) and lack of natural photographic ability (thanks mom and dad) and on to the paint correction stage of this job:

Car is a silver 2006 BMW 325i in fair condition. The owner has done nothing but take it to touchless machine washes for the last two years after having it "detailed" for $20 at the corner gas station once a month during her first year with it. The touchless wash culminates by bathing the car in some form of Turtle Wax liquid "wax" and to be honest, the car did have some shine under the layer of dirt and dust. Car had been run through said machine just 4 or 5 days prior to delivery. Brake dust on the rims was absolutely horrible however.

Condition as delivered...

Looks decent but as I said, I had no luck capturing the swirls in the artificial light so I didn't bother posting the crappy pics. Began the prep cycle by applying a pre-soak to the vehicle to remove any waxes, oils, or remnants of that touchless car wash junk from the surface...

Instead of Dawn, I received a new pre-soak and wax removal surface prep shampoo from a friend and wanted to try it out. Worked great. And guess what? It's actually a product for marine use. This friend I referred to is a professional yacht detailer and when he inquired why I was using Dawn he offered this as a sample...

Post pre-soak process:

1. Spray wheels with DP Wheel Gel Cleaner and allow to sit while completing the next steps.

2. Spray wheel wells with APC+.

3. Washed entire vehicle using "foam gun method." Here I have a 5-gallon bucket with a grit guard and my foam gun/wash sponge (I use a Home Depot grout sponge). The bucket is full of clean water. I lay down a layer of foam on the panel I am working on and go over it with the grout sponge. When I am done with a panel I dunk the sponge in the clean water bucket, rub against the grit guard, and repeat for the next panel. This insures I have tons of foaming soap on each panel and directly between my wash sponge and the paint.

4. Dried vehicle with an Absorber synthetic drying chamois (it's about to be polished anyway...lol). Spot dried and final wipe with Armor All drying towels (pretty plush and do a great job).

5. Go back to wheel wells and scrub with long-handled tire brush.

6. Take a sponge reserved for wheels and clean the faces of the rims and tires. Use my EZ-Detail wheel brush to agitate the soap in all the little nooks and crannies. Use a Mother's stiff-bristle tire brush to scrub grime, dead rubber, and anything else off the sidewall of the tires. Rinse and let air dry as they'll be washed and dressed later on.

50/50 on a rim...

Now that the washing is done it's on to the claying. Used an old set of Mother's gold clay bars I had in my detailing supplies and wanted to use up. Bottle of Mother's Detailer Spray as lube since it all came in a kit together. Mother's clay was about the same consistency as the white Meg's clay from the Smooth Surface Kit but seems slightly milder to me although the Detailer from Mother's smells nicer (cinnamon) and was larger. Here's a look after a 2' x 2' section of the trunk lid...

After claying I rinsed the car with the citrus wash again to remove any clay/lube residue, dried in the same manner, and moved to taping. Seen plenty of posts asking when to tape or how to tape so here's a few shots of the taping process...

During my testing with the customer we agreed on spot defect removal with M105/LC CCS Orange pad (ADS spec) via Flex and one pass of M205/LC CCS Green pad (also ADS spec) via Flex would achieve the level of correction necessary. My test area revealed that the M205/Green pad would remove about 90% of the swirls and that was more than enough on this daily driver that was going back to the dealer. After washing and claying here were the spot defects that needed touching up...

Obviously there was nothing a polisher would be able to do for these but I was hoping to lighten the severity and minimize the visual harshness of the defects after polishing and layering sealant/wax...

Re: BMW Stage III - Paint Correction ("pic heavy" is an understatement!!)

Gotta Love that BMW Brake Dust!!
    My Neighbor Calls it that Ultimate Brake Dust Machine (Like the Ultimate Driving Machine as they Call It)
    Joel
    Firefighter/EMT-B
    Rejuvenation Auto Detailing
    "Satisfaction Guaranteed or Your Dirt Back!!!"
    '99 F-150

Comment

After spot defect correction with M105/LC CCS Orange pad via Flex...

After the spot defect removal was complete I proceeded to the IPA wipedown and on the the pass of M205/LC CCS Green pad via Flex over the entire vehicle. Used speed setting of 6 with light pressure and allowed the product to "flash" and continued making a few passes on speed setting 3 to burnish and jewel the surface to a high gloss.

As I was taking a break from polishing I looked back at the half-completed roof. About the best 50/50 I could manage. If you look at the reflection of the support pole you'll see it's crystal clear on the driver's side (where I had just finished wiping after completing a pass) and then gets hazed and distorted on the unpolished side. Hate having no sun!!

After completing the polishing I pulled it out and gave it a final rinse prior to surface prep and LSP application. Right after drying the sun decided to peek itself just above the roofline across the street!!

Grabbed the camera and did the best I could....remember this is M205 only:

Comment

After storing the car overnight, I completed the interior (http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33693) and then moved to final LSP application. First up I applied Meguiar's Quik Detailer (maroon bottle) to the vehicle via microfiber towels to remove any possible dust or other slight contaminants that may have settled on the finish overnight. Grabbed a bottle of NXT 2.0 and some of the combo applicators from Autogeek (terry on one side and microfiber on the other). Here are the results after two passes spaced approximately 4 hours apart (finally got a little sun)...

Notice in this series of pictures how the NXT reflects light so well and so sharply that the perfect reflection of the palm tree is drowned out by light because the camera cannot adjust the exposure level. This happens with your eyes too. The reflection on this silver from the 2 coats of NXT is brilliant, powerful, and contains visual refraction and reflection that lends to an image of icy sharpness. Also notice how the light is reflected in a manner in which the car looks like one shiny piece of metal with some areas given an almost white appearance...

Comment

Me likey likey!
          Shane
          1995 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera SL

If you trim yourself to fit the world you'll whittle yourself away. - Aaron Tippin

Comment

Now the look above might be perfect for most owners. The NXT brings out the metalic flake extremely well and thus, to my eyes, drowns out some of the beauty of the car and its paint. I still prefer the muted flake and extreme liquidity of a true carnauba so on to the coup de grace!

Final layer of wax applied approximately 9 hours (overnight) later than series of photos above. All finishing touches such as glass, tire dressings, wheel wax, etc were completed at this time as well.

Topper of choice for me on silver is Pinnacle Signature Series II. It is a true wipe-on/wipe-off product that provides stunning liquidity, gloss, and possesses an amazing jetting factor (wet look). Here are some after shots for you. Notice the deep, wet look. The true reflections. The "shimmer" and gloss the paint possesses rather than the razor-sharp light refraction from the NXT. Remember how the NXT turned some areas of the car almost white with reflected light? Look how the Pinnacle SSII turns those same areas a shade of an almost blue color under certain lighting conditions. Can you tell I absolutely love this combo...

The finale...

Reflection shot of the detail rig in the rear quarter panel...

More glamour shots...

I think this layering method balances the best of both protectants (wax and sealant) and achieves the look I desire and my clients love. Hope this was instructive or informative on some level and as always thanks for looking guys...

Comment

Oh yeah, someone sent me a PM asking how thick I layer the Pinnacle Signature Series II over the NXT coats and how far can you stretch a $50 jar. Sorry, I accidentally deleted the message. Put it this way....I have used this jar of Pinnacle SSII on about 7 or 8 cars and this is how much I've used:

Comment

Super job man!! Looks fabulous!!
                Fergy-

You're only as good as your last detail

Comment

Nice job on that car. Car looks 100 times better.
                  Jesse

2009-2014 Meguiar's/Car Crazy SEMA Team
                  www.ShineTechAutoDetail.com
                  Facebook www.detailing.com

Comment

So many pics I forgot how bad the water spots on the glass were. Hard water etching beyond belief. Contacted the owner and found out the car gets doused regularly at work by sprinklers and is allowed to dry under the hot South Florida sun. Sprinklers use the highly contaminated well water and usually is death to a car's paint. This vehicle showed the worse effects on the glass. This pic is after washing and claying the glass...

I broke out some Ultimate Compound and used the Flex on speed setting 3 with a black LC CCS finishing pad as I wanted the product to do the work and not a mechanically abrasive pad. Also wanted to be careful of instilling any marring so used no pressure. Here's the results after one pass...

Comment

Great work on the BMW. Tremwndous improvement. The car looks great.

Nice write up and pics. Way to go.
                      quality creates its own demand

Comment

Great Job
                        Skoda Roomster

Comment

nice work, brilliant results

Comment

Bounty, can I ask a few questions? I've seen others photos of taping and some cover the cracks and don't seem to take time to be accurate and you, like me, take time to get it on as if the car will be repainted.

Any advantage to being neat and/or covering cracks and crevices instead?

Also, problem you had with getting good photos with artificial light I have as well and usually can only get a few to really show swirls after spending way too much time on exposure and focus settings. Any tips from your experience and/or other members?

Thanks and nice job on the beemer!
                            Steve

Comment

Thanks for the info on the tape! Looks great, congratulations.

(Why does the owner have to detail the car before returning it for a lease, btw? I don't understand)

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');