• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beginner's PC Pads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beginner's PC Pads

I'm planning on getting a PC shortly, and with the various pads available, I wanted to make sure these would be OK. I'm staying a little conservative as a beginner for now, and may graduate to a cutting pad later.

I was looking at W-DAV99 (sorry no pic at meguiars.com) , the DA velcro buffing system plus one of these:

This would give me two polishing and two finishing pads along with the backing plate.

Any other advice is appreciated. Thanks.
    '04 6s 5-door / '05 Acura MDX

Hi superswamper,

The W-9006 finishing pads are best used for applying a pure polish or a wax, if this is what you think you'll be doing a lot of, then having an extra W-9006 is a good idea.

What are you working on?

Mike
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Rule of thumb: the W8006 polishing pad works great for any type of work... Cleaning, polishing and even waxing!
      2011 Car Crazy Showcase SEMA Team

Comment

I'm planning on working on my '93 Silverado to learn how to use the PC before moving on to the daily drivers ('02 Maxima (silver) and '04 6 (grey) ).

I'm planning on using the deep crystal system as I'm a complete beginner. I've learned since buying the product that the results may be best on darker paint (I think), which the truck doesn't have, but it will give me a chance to practice my methods with the PC.

Maybe after I've gained a little confidence that I won't completely mess up the paint, I can move on to more aggressive products to get better results. I'm a little apprehensive of using the cutting pad, but I tend to be a little conservative on things.
        '04 6s 5-door / '05 Acura MDX

Comment

I've been using the DC system for a while now. You'll also like the PC. I'm new to that too, but I love it already and it's really safe, so don't worry about anything.

Slats
          -------------
          John 17:3
          -------------

Comment

Originally posted by superswamper
            I'm planning on using the deep crystal system as I'm a complete beginner. I've learned since buying the product that the results may be best on darker paint (I think), which the truck doesn't have, but it will give me a chance to practice my methods with the PC.
            Hi superswamper,

The Deep Crystal System is very user friendly by hand or machine. As far as the color of your paint goes, most cars have clear coat finishes and Meguiar's products, like the Deep Crystal System, tend to create crystal clear, high gloss results on both clear coats and single stage paints. With darker colors, your eyes tend to more easily see improvements.

Maybe after I've gained a little confidence that I won't completely mess up the paint, I can move on to more aggressive products to get better results. I'm a little apprehensive of using the cutting pad, but I tend to be a little conservative on things.
            Starting out a little conservative is the safe way to go, in no time you'll get the hang of polishing by machine and wish you would have started doing your polishing work this way sooner.

One word of caution, our W-7006 foam cutting pad is not recommended by Meguiar's for use on the G-100 dual action polisher. It is to aggressive of a foam and can dull the finish down. (It works great on a rotary buffer), your best bet is to stick with the W-8006 and W-9006 foam polishing pads.

Good luck!

Mike
            Mike Phillips
            760-515-0444
            showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');