• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

G110 Failure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: G110 Failure

Good info, thanks for posting it.
    I know someone thats said thier PC was running real weak, now I know the fix!!!
    Arizona Corvette Enthusiasts
    08 Atomic Orange Metallic C6 LS3 Z51 4LT
    98 Torch Red Convertible * SOLD
    82 Collector Edition * SOLD

Comment

Hope this helps others, and thanks Brian for your fast assistance.

Comment

I was thinking the same issue had occurred when my first G110 failed. I could see the brush in the owner's manual, but the warranty specifically states that if you open the unit up, you void it. I was fine with sending the unit back, but when the warranty runs out, it would be great to be able to service the unit.

Did anyone find a source for the brushes? I didn't see that in the posts.

BTW, my replacement G110 died within 3 cars - I always use a 25' cord.

Hoping there is a quick resolution to it.

Curious if one of the threads talks to how to disassemble the unit? Haven't look yet, nor checked to see how easy it is to do.

I'm an RC and slot car guy as well. Very used to repairing this type of stuff, but with Meguiar's policy of no replacement parts, I hope one of the forum readers has found a way around it.

Comment

Originally posted by Yegster View Post
          I was thinking the same issue had occurred when my first G110 failed. I could see the brush in the owner's manual, but the warranty specifically states that if you open the unit up, you void it. I was fine with sending the unit back, but when the warranty runs out, it would be great to be able to service the unit.

Did anyone find a source for the brushes? I didn't see that in the posts.

BTW, my replacement G110 died within 3 cars - I always use a 25' cord.

Hoping there is a quick resolution to it.

Curious if one of the threads talks to how to disassemble the unit? Haven't look yet, nor checked to see how easy it is to do.

I'm an RC and slot car guy as well. Very used to repairing this type of stuff, but with Meguiar's policy of no replacement parts, I hope one of the forum readers has found a way around it.
          If your replacement from Meguiar's failed, try calling them again and asking to get another one.

I know they had a bad batch of them and some might still be floating around. Can't hurt to call and explain whats going on, Meguiar's customer service is top notch.

Ryan
          Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway.

This is your life. Choose to live it to the fullest.

Comment

My G110 died when I used a different cord. I guess that is the common denominator here. Use a proper cord and it will extend the life of your machine.
            quality creates its own demand

Comment

How big an extension cord?

Personally, I use a 12ga cord and will not go lower. Your just asking for trouble. I use a 12ga cord on all of my power tools.

Mark Kleis gave a great hint, if the cord is warm after using, then get a bigger cord!

Try your little local hardware stores, my Ace hardware has a ton of brushes and never know, something may match!
              Philippians 2:14 - Do all things without grumbling or questioning,

Comment

12AWG is enough only if the cord is under 50 feet. 12AWG may seem sufficient, but as you increase the length of the cord, you MUST go with a thicker gauge extenstion.

Comment

Any news on replacement brushes? I have a 13 month old G110 that just died today. I always use a 25ft - 14 Gauge extension cable with it, so I don't believe the issue is with voltage drop.

Will give a call to Customer Support tomorrow.

Comment

Call me crazy, but this still seems to be a quality issue in my book. You can't put the burden on the consumer to use a specific weight cord....if that is the case, a standard cord should come with the unit, or at least be offered with each G110. I'd like to know if this cord weight issue with the happening with the new PC 7242 XP units. They have a larger (stronger?) motor than the G110.

Personally, I'm still very happy with my G100. It seems to keep working no matter what....and if it does stop, the Lifetime warranty through Megs is always there.
                    NOTE: Post count does not reflect actual detailing knowledge.

Comment

Originally posted by Nappers View Post
                      How big an extension cord?

Personally, I use a 12ga cord and will not go lower. Your just asking for trouble. I use a 12ga cord on all of my power tools.

Mark Kleis gave a great hint, if the cord is warm after using, then get a bigger cord!

Try your little local hardware stores, my Ace hardware has a ton of brushes and never know, something may match!
                      Be very careful Brush type and make up are very important there a dozen different grades from carbon to graphic and a mix in between the brushes carry the current, You want a chocolate brown color on the commutator of the armature. and silicone can cause poor commutation so try to keep it away from your electrical tools.

This should help

As voltage drops to your tools current or amperage increases = increase in heat and heat shortens the life of electrical tools.

Comment

Originally posted by ColonelCash View Post
                        Call me crazy, but this still seems to be a quality issue in my book. You can't put the burden on the consumer to use a specific weight cord....if that is the case, a standard cord should come with the unit, or at least be offered with each G110. I'd like to know if this cord weight issue with the happening with the new PC 7242 XP units. They have a larger (stronger?) motor than the G110.

Personally, I'm still very happy with my G100. It seems to keep working no matter what....and if it does stop, the Lifetime warranty through Megs is always there.

The extension cords everyone is talking about is not the short pigtail attached to the G110 but rather the long cord you use to connect to the power supply. With my first G110 I used a 50 ft 16 Ga. cord. The machine ran warm to the touch and finally failed. I upgraded to a 10 Ga. cord with the new G110 and it runs cool to the touch. Problem solved...I feel.
                        Barry

Comment

Good to know Shyneman!

I checked the brushes on my Chicago Electric(Harbor Freight) rotary and they are wearing evenly. Can't seem to tear apart my G100 and don't want to break it to see if how they are wearing.....
                          Philippians 2:14 - Do all things without grumbling or questioning,

Comment

I use a 25 ft 12/3 15 amp extension cord. I have used this cord on a number of power tools. The polisher runs pretty cool.

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');