• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EG5 civic owners?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EG5 civic owners?

Hi all, any of you own a 5th gen civic BA16 or DZ16.Looking for discussion on tuning.

I posted this thread already,but it dissappeared???

Re: EG5 civic owners?

I have an EG4 D15B but i think i know some things about B16A : )
    you meen the DOHC VTEC engine right??Also i have some friends that they tuning cars so it will be my pleasure to help if i can...
    I AM HERE TO LEARN

Comment

Hi pampos,we're all here to learn.Actually,there's a good pic from mike stoops(in the break room,i think) of an eg4 in holland(A bit of honda bashing?).No,seriously,thoughI like the eg4 as well.yours must be in good nick if your here! actually,i've got the D16Z6(VTEC).At the time of buying that's what i could afford.But in the bolt on mod league,i reckon it can have a good go with the BA's.
      You've got a lot more selection of custom parts in the states,though.i'm using the DCsports 4-1 header and an invidia ss sytem right all the ways back.i used to use supersprint,but found this was the better combo.
      Have you done any mods to yours?you can get quite a good bit of tuning with the D15's. Also,again difficult to get a hold of: Edlebrock do rebored air intakes which can give good torque.
      Let me know what parts you and your freinds are using.but i'll have to go now and hit the hay...up again in 4 hours oh dear!

seeya!

Comment

you can always check www.honda-tech.com for info on motors.. their enthusiast over there so you might get more replies
        - Markito -

Comment

hi,thanks for the link.although,i've practically done everything possible in the bolt on tuning set up. Going fourther would mean more $$$$$$ and it's a daily runner,so i want to keep it quick,but reliable.

Anyway,if you or any of your freinds want to discuss or compare parts etc.,let me know.

Comment

Do you want an NA engine or turbo one?A good ECU with exhaust,inlet,muffler, filter compo will be a good idea.Also a shorter gearbox can make a huge difference....
            I AM HERE TO LEARN

Comment

Hi pampos,I don't like turbos on v-tecs unless it's a frankenstein turbo.I'd prefer to go supercharger,again depending on type.It depends what your into.I see a lot of big mod stuff for drag.I'm more into handling characteristics,with oommph of course.I personally don't like to see civics an' alike for drag racing,although what they achieve is superb.

Chippin' on hondas involves,piggyback or replacement,plus the air density flow meter makes hondas a little tricky for getting the right A/F mixture.Have you tried the APEXi AFC or newer mods? What have you done to your eg4?

Anyway,i ain't got the $$$$$'s for extreme tuning!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Eddie6th View Post
                Hi pampos,I don't like turbos on v-tecs unless it's a frankenstein turbo.I'd prefer to go supercharger,again depending on type.It depends what your into.I see a lot of big mod stuff for drag.I'm more into handling characteristics,with oommph of course.I personally don't like to see civics an' alike for drag racing,although what they achieve is superb.

Chippin' on hondas involves,piggyback or replacement,plus the air density flow meter makes hondas a little tricky for getting the right A/F mixture.Have you tried the APEXi AFC or newer mods? What have you done to your eg4?

Anyway,i ain't got the $$$$$'s for extreme tuning!!!
                I did nothing at the moment because i am searching for it too...D15B engine does not have too much abilities if they are not turbo....
                But what i am going to do is to change the final ratio of my gearbox(it is in process) which it will help it to accelerate much more faster and better,i am going to change the air filter,the inlet manifold ,the exhaust headers and the exhaust....Maybe a lighter flywheel with a better clutch kit...Also i will change the ECU with an AEM or E-MANAGE GREDDY one for NA engines....

As you said i don't want a drag car,and to built up a really powerful NA engine you will need a lot of money to spend with not too much HP on your engine....Camshafts, pistons, etc etc are costing a lot but there is nothing like turbo
                I think that APEX AFC it is a waste of money, but i will confirm it to you ASAP....
                Last edited by pampos; Jun 1, 2009, 01:01 AM.
                I AM HERE TO LEARN

Comment

Hi pampos,i'm not experienced in gearboxes,so i'd have to get some help with that one,but i see what you are doing. The only thing i did was put in a shortshift stick,which you could do yourself if your good at brazin'.

I'm not to familiar with the D15B's set up.Is it dual injection or multi valve? is it V-Tec?.I think you can get a good bit of tuning out of your civic,without going nuts.

If you're thinking of turbo,DC sports do a good header.If your having trouble finding turbo kits,you should go the superchargin' way.Again expensive,but shouldn't be a problem in the states.Jackson,Roots.....

i think you would have less trouble superchargin' your civic as opposed to turbo.

Cam's,again costly.This is more the way i'd go. If your civic is v-tec,then you've already got a good cam in there.They've got high lobes.Don't bother with regrinds,they're not good in v-tecs and will reduce the life of your engine significantly! trust me on this one.i know plenty of amigo's who have done this and had to get replacement engines!

Anyway,sounds like your getting a good setup with what you're doing.If you go NA.I'd recommend DC sports 4-1 header.i use this and it's excellent.Invidia cost a lot less than jun's and mugen for the header back.i've seen inside these silencers and they are really good quality with beautifull tig welds. I've got the old DAC intake with K&N cone.it's good(I don't think they make it anymore).A lot of reviews say the injen or AEM are better,so shop around.

One other thing to check is your ignition timing or find someone with a timing light.You might find it's a couple of deg out(retarded).Normally the manufacturer deliberatley sets this low to avoid any detonation if any weak petrol gets in your tank.Mine was 14.Should've been 16.I found the sweet spot was at 17.I've got a manual for your engine somewhere,if you need to know the timing,i'll get the data for you.

Once your done installing your new goodies,i'd put on a fuel boost valve to compensate for a weak mixture.Again DCsports do a good one and STR,i think.i use FSE,it's been there for 10 years or more and it's adjustable.

The light flywheel is a good idea,but you might suffer a bit on hills.

I know this is long,but i love talkin' 'bout tunin'

I'm off to bed now...Let me know how you get on..

Comment

Originally posted by Eddie6th View Post
                    Hi pampos,i'm not experienced in gearboxes,so i'd have to get some help with that one,but i see what you are doing. The only thing i did was put in a shortshift stick,which you could do yourself if your good at brazin'.

I'm not to familiar with the D15B's set up.Is it dual injection or multi valve? is it V-Tec?.I think you can get a good bit of tuning out of your civic,without going nuts.

If you're thinking of turbo,DC sports do a good header.If your having trouble finding turbo kits,you should go the superchargin' way.Again expensive,but shouldn't be a problem in the states.Jackson,Roots.....

i think you would have less trouble superchargin' your civic as opposed to turbo.

Cam's,again costly.This is more the way i'd go. If your civic is v-tec,then you've already got a good cam in there.They've got high lobes.Don't bother with regrinds,they're not good in v-tecs and will reduce the life of your engine significantly! trust me on this one.i know plenty of amigo's who have done this and had to get replacement engines!

Anyway,sounds like your getting a good setup with what you're doing.If you go NA.I'd recommend DC sports 4-1 header.i use this and it's excellent.Invidia cost a lot less than jun's and mugen for the header back.i've seen inside these silencers and they are really good quality with beautifull tig welds. I've got the old DAC intake with K&N cone.it's good(I don't think they make it anymore).A lot of reviews say the injen or AEM are better,so shop around.

One other thing to check is your ignition timing or find someone with a timing light.You might find it's a couple of deg out(retarded).Normally the manufacturer deliberatley sets this low to avoid any detonation if any weak petrol gets in your tank.Mine was 14.Should've been 16.I found the sweet spot was at 17.I've got a manual for your engine somewhere,if you need to know the timing,i'll get the data for you.

Once your done installing your new goodies,i'd put on a fuel boost valve to compensate for a weak mixture.Again DCsports do a good one and STR,i think.i use FSE,it's been there for 10 years or more and it's adjustable.

The light flywheel is a good idea,but you might suffer a bit on hills.

I know this is long,but i love talkin' 'bout tunin'

I'm off to bed now...Let me know how you get on..
                    thanks mate for all those info..
                    I will use the AEM air filter but i am thinking to use a 4-2-1 because i think it gives more torque than 4-1.My engine it is a SOHC VTEC 130hp manual....
                    I would love to turbo my car but as you said it is a lot of money so i will keep it NA with only some parts replaced out of the engine....
                    I have also a quick shifter.Does it worth it ????
                    Also I know the problem that i will have on the hills with a lighter flywheel but i think that in straight it will be great.The problem is that i cannot find a lot of parts for that engine locally because most of them they modified the B16A engine.I would love to have the data of my engine if it is easy for you...
                    I think that at the moment those part + a good parallel program(e-manage) to setting them it will be OK....
                    Camshafts pistons etc are too expensive for me with not too much Hp on the engine...Also a WEBER inlet with 4 throttle will be amazing but it is very expensive too but it will make the engine to act like a different engine....
                    I AM HERE TO LEARN

Comment

Hi pampos,firstly,I made an error earlier.I see you are from Cyprus.Sorry,but I automatically think i'm talking to someone in the states.

Headers,I had the tri-y header before i had the 4-1 header. Both are good.Yes,a tri-y does have more low end,but in the case of my civic,i felt that the 4-1 was slightly better.On a new Honda,i wouldn't even bother as they're already pretty well tuned.
                      Don't forget V-TEC's are well balanced and are great for high rev output.

This is where hondas are good for lightweight pulley's and flywheels,because they are well balanced.

My short shift works well.It could be that your are used to it now and don't think much of it.

I've just checked the manual,which covers D15B2 and D15B7.

It says your ignition timing is 16 'B'TDC which is the RED marker,at idle.This is the same as mine. You can go a little further with the v-tec,possibly +3 or 4,but i wouldn't. I found 17 deg and 18 deg were the same and i can't afford to use shell v-power(100ron) all the time anyway.

yes,i've seen the 4 throttle jobs.Nice kit but $$$$'s!

As far as your header back system goes,DC sports do an excellent system
                      (If you like i'll dig out the catalogue and see what the code is for the parts?). Skunk 2 also comes highly recommended. Magnaflow i tried to get years ago,but couldn't get it for my car(possibly find in the states?).Es i said earlier,Invidia is a beautiful system and has a great sound.With this combo i've got,i get great popping when i change gear or releasing the accelerator from high revs.The back box(there are 2 options): I think mine is the G200??(can't remember).The difference is inside. It has a looped muffler which gives more torque.Think about it this way,your getting all stainless,with beautifull tig welds,great sound,looks and costs half the amount of mugen or jun's.It's pretty damn close in construction!

Keep me informed,how you get on! Eddie.

Comment

EG owner here

95 Civic VX Federal emissions
                        D15Z1 VTEC-E (53MPG)

Can you guys post pics of your civics?
                        gerald

Comment

Hi Gerald,thanks for coming here. I'm going to upload some pics ASAP. I'm just really pushed for time at the moment(exams).I did a couple of quick pics yesterday of the engine bay for another thread.
                          I don't know about you,but after all these years,i still think that 5th gens are the coolest looking (and the 4th gen CRX's).The new civic is pretty unique in it's design and i like them too.

I see you noted D15Z1 VTEC-E. I'm not familiar with what you mention 'federal emmissions'. 53mpg--that's good.Is it a 'gas conversion'?(I don't mean 'gas',as in petrol).

K.I.T.....eddie.

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');