• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Engine oxidation of aluminum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine oxidation of aluminum

Both my new cars had their motor bays "attacked" by the dealer during pre-delivery to give what they felt was that "brand new look". Each, brand new, had their engines sprayed down with that suff they called "that purple stuff". Now, both are experiencing that surface oxidation (AL2O3) making them look like someone threw a hand full of baking four on them. Is there a quick fix, short of wire brushing?

Re: Engine oxidation of aluminum

I wish dealers would leave things alone,so i know how you feel.There are other pages where this has been discussed recently.I have to get onto my bay.This was my fault though,for not using my car all through the winter.

I take it the parts you mean are cast parts---'rough cast'. A wire brush might be a bit severe and leave behind a lot of scratches.I think some steel wool should get rid of the problem,or some kind of polishing compound.

Meg's do some metal polishes.See which one applies to you.Maybe a more heavy duty one.

Comment

Working...
    X
    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');