• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Acrylic Fish Tank ?s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Acrylic Fish Tank ?s

Has anybody tried to use the Meguiar's clear plastic products on an acrylic fish tank?

Our school has an 840 gallon salt water marine/fish tank with 1" thick acrylic walls. In the process of cleaning the walls of the tank (via magnet and towel) the magnet slipped off the towel and left some noticeable scratches in the acrylic.

Wet sanding is out of the question, but I am curious of anyone has been successful with PlastX or any of the other clear plastic products.

Thanks!

Re: Acrylic Fish Tank ?s

That would be a good option to try.

You could do a test spot on the outside in the back perhaps.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

PlastX is probably not aggressive enough but try it first, it might work.
      I polish acrylic with a polish that's made for acrylic
      Mind you this stuff doesn't get all the scratches out but does Polishes it up real good.
      The Headlight and Clear Plastic Restoration Kit might be a good start.

Also #105 - Ultra Cut Compound or Ultimate Compound should give you enough bit to get some of the deeper scratches out
      UC is available at your local Wall,Target or the like stores. Easier to get than M105.
      Also here's some info to help you out
      What it means to remove a scratch out of anything...

And what do you plan on using to rub this out? Hand? Rotary? DA? Small children?
      What kinda product do you have and what kinda experience do you have?

Comment

Originally posted by magnus View Post
        Has anybody tried to use the Meguiar's clear plastic products on an acrylic fish tank?

Our school has an 840 gallon salt water marine/fish tank with 1" thick acrylic walls. In the process of cleaning the walls of the tank (via magnet and towel) the magnet slipped off the towel and left some noticeable scratches in the acrylic.

Wet sanding is out of the question, but I am curious of anyone has been successful with PlastX or any of the other clear plastic products.

Thanks!

Hi magnus,I've tried plastx on many items and havn't had any problems.Try a test spot on the side to see how it goes.

Also,I was an aquarist 'till about six years ago.I did it for a long,long time.i didn't have anything that size though!!(about 100 gallons) I kept a lot of marine stuff,and used to build my own filters,tanks and cabinets,to save $'s. I miss it Soooooo Much!
        Yellow Tangs,Percula clowns(Amphiprion),devil damsels,Flame angels, inverts and corals. I know my stuff!

If you want to post some threads in the Break Room,in the future,I'd be happy to talk to you about Marine set-ups.I once thought about respraying a car with the same colors and patterns as a clownfish!

Bye,eddie. Good luck with the plastx

Comment

Here's the stuff I used
          Just did a Google search on "acrylic polish" and tons came up.
          Novus Plastic Polish

Novus Plastic Polish removes fine scratches, haziness and abrasions from most plastics. With repeated use, this polish will restore faded and discolored plastics.

This cleaner removes the damage instead of filling it in, buffs out quickly, and seals with a coat of polish after restoring your item.

Great for display cases or any acrylic item!

2 fluid ounces.

Acrylic Polish Kit

E-mail this product to a friend

Novus polish is the perfect treatment for your scratched Contact Juggling Ball and other plastics. This kit comes with the following items:
          2oz Polish 1 - Clean & Shine
          2oz Polish 2 - Fine Scratch Remover
          2oz Polish 3 - Heavy Scatch Remover
          Two NOVUS Polish Mates (polishing cloths)

Regular Price: $15.00
          On Sale For: $10.99

Comment

A little off-topic, but these last two photos would make excellent computer wallpaper

Comment

Originally posted by ClearlyCoated View Post
              A little off-topic, but these last two photos would make excellent computer wallpaper
              Excellent idea! I just made the first one my desktop background. I like it!
              Shane
              1995 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera SL

If you trim yourself to fit the world you'll whittle yourself away. - Aaron Tippin

Comment

Originally posted by ClearlyCoated View Post
                I thought you were single?
                I thought you would have girlys on your BG!

Comment

Thanx for the data on acryllic polishes MM. Ain't any of you guy's got aquarium deluxe 4???

Comment

Originally posted by Maserati Mario View Post
                    Here's the stuff I used

Just did a Google search on "acrylic polish" and tons came up.

Novus Plastic Polish

Novus Plastic Polish removes fine scratches, haziness and abrasions from most plastics. With repeated use, this polish will restore faded and discolored plastics.

This cleaner removes the damage instead of filling it in, buffs out quickly, and seals with a coat of polish after restoring your item.

Great for display cases or any acrylic item!

2 fluid ounces.

Acrylic Polish Kit

E-mail this product to a friend

Novus polish is the perfect treatment for your scratched Contact Juggling Ball and other plastics. This kit comes with the following items:
                    2oz Polish 1 - Clean & Shine
                    2oz Polish 2 - Fine Scratch Remover
                    2oz Polish 3 - Heavy Scatch Remover
                    Two NOVUS Polish Mates (polishing cloths)

Regular Price: $15.00
                    On Sale For: $10.99

Hi Mario,i'm a bit unclear as to the differences between acrylic,plexi-glass,etc. Could you put in a thread about the differences?

Comment

Originally posted by Maserati Mario View Post
                    I thought you were single?
                    I thought you would have girlys on your BG!
                    Easy now, I saw your charity car wash thread....

Comment

• Working...
                      X
                      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');