• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cleaned 1939 Dodge D11 Luxury Liner Deluxe today.....some pics for questions!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaned 1939 Dodge D11 Luxury Liner Deluxe today.....some pics for questions!!

OK guys, as i said, i washed the 1939 Dodge D11 Luxury Liner Deluxe today and it cleaned up really, decently well, considering how it looked beforehand, but the paint surface/finish is still NO WHERE where id like it, as youll see in pics later.

Heres the process i used for the cleaning

Tires: Westleys Bleche-Wite

Wheels: Megs Hot Shine All Wheel Cleaner

Wash: Megs Gold Class, 2BM

Anyway, i sure am glad i found out about the 2BM because my rinse bucket literally, looked like someone had stirred up a bottom of a lake!!!! The water was a darkish brown and was just, VERY cloudy, and gross. I didnt get any before pics really, but heres some pics i took 3 or 4 wks ago before i had washed it yet, you may or may not be able to see the grunge on the car

Before pics:

Afters:

Heres some pics of the paint surface after a THOROUGH washing....still VERY contaminated/embedded junk as well as some areas where the paint has chipped/flaked off and has some surface rust as well as an area where MOSS has gorwn on the car where the fender meets the body. Youll also see some pictures with small scratches that are black, which i assume mean theyre filled with some sort of grunge....These scratches you will see are on EVERY horizontal and some vertical surfaces of the car, and since theyre "filled" with a black something, maybe dirt, theyre super easy to see and i cant get them to go away. Maybe someone as seen them and has some suggestions on what they are/how to get rid of them? Also, youll see some VERY dull paint

Paint Surface (post wash):

The Moss:

Heres a couple pics i did of a test spot by hand on the front corner of the nose/grille. Process was SS Clay, 2x UC, 1x SwirlX 1x NXT Tech Wax 1.0. Still not at ALL where id like it to be, but i think a DA will help that significantly.

Test Spot:

So please guys, give me ideas on what i need to get this car looking a LOT closer to 100% than it is now....i know i will need a machine, but beyond that, what pads, products etc. should i get to complete this and make it look good again.

Thanks!
    C.C.
    Zach Hall

2001.5 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins Diesel - DD/Tow rig
    1983 Chevy C10 - Race/Show rig
    1939 Dodge D11 Luxury Liner Deluxe - Antique resto. project

Re: Cleaned 1939 Dodge D11 Luxury Liner Deluxe today.....some pics for questions!!

This looks like a job for Bounty, ClearlyCoated, Tuck91, Presidential or Mike P. I would think because the paints looks cracked that wet sanding or repainting is the only option. But I would try M105+UC+M205+NXT 2.0x2 using the DA. And maybe throw in some ColorX. Let the other guys weigh in first before you jump in. Oh, never seen moss grow on a car. Also, you might want to start with CLAYING the **** out of the car. Keep us posted.
    RG Curtis
    U.S. Navy Silent Service

Comment

Re: Cleaned 1939 Dodge D11 Luxury Liner Deluxe today.....some pics for questions!!

wet sanding/repainting is what i was afraid i was gonna hear
      Zach Hall

Comment

The paint is badly checkerd. A real fix is a full repaint. You can restore some areas that is not damaged, but the cracked area is beyond restoration. I think what you did brought the existing paint condition to its maxium potential.
        Very nice classic.

Comment

awwww MAN! lol
          Zach Hall

Comment

Originally posted by CumminsCrazed View Post
            awwww MAN! lol
            Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings but it's actually worse than that. Beyond simply having paint beyond repairable condition, there is rust that needs to be adressed immediatly before it spreads.

There is no way to save the original paint but original body panels are even more important...and these need media blasting and rust elimination immediately. They then need to be primed and repainted using original-style single stage methods to maintain as much value as possible.

Going through this same process now with a 1971 Barracuda Convertible my uncle just purchased so I feel the owner's pain...

If the owner is absolutely dead set on keeping the original paint then stay away from any machines. You're going to want to use a product like Meguiar's Paint Cleaner which uses chemical cleaners rather than mechanical abrasives. Any time you touch a single stage paint you are removing some of it. In this case your goal is to remove as little as possible. Going with a polisher and a heavy-cut compound like M105 will get you down to the metal in a hurry!

Comment

that paint is beyond fixing
              All I would do is a light rub out with 105/205 combo and a coat of NXT.
              Just do a light cleaning and wax it will look better.

Comment

Not much to do on this. About all you can do is maintain it. It needs the rust repaired, new ss paint job. Sorry.
                quality creates its own demand

Comment

that paint is def. not original Bounty.....The car used to be a militaryish style green with possibly black fenders? You might be able to see some of the green in a couple pics shown below....

Can somewhat see green on bottom door jamb/rocker panel

Zach Hall

Comment

that paint is def. not original Bounty.....The car used to be a militaryish style green with possibly black fenders? You might be able to see some of the green in a couple pics shown below....
                    That's actually good news...now you can recommend the single stage repaint. The entire car needs to be media blasted to remove old paint and rust. Then a coat of primer will be applied and the car painted with either single-stage or base coat/clear coat paint. You can get the post-body shop detail after it's done. You can have them spray on some extra clear coat and do the entire wetsand and orange peel elimination job (easily a few days) for a big money ticket or if they go single stage do an entire hand rub and later on protection (after paint has outgassed).

Comment

Told you to wait for the others to weigh in. Sorry they had to bear bad news. The good thing is that it is a cool car still working. I could see some serious potential in the car though. Keep us posted on what happens.
                      RG Curtis
                      U.S. Navy Silent Service

Comment

Originally posted by Bounty View Post
                        That's actually good news...now you can recommend the single stage repaint. The entire car needs to be media blasted to remove old paint and rust. Then a coat of primer will be applied and the car painted with either single-stage or base coat/clear coat paint. You can get the post-body shop detail after it's done. You can have them spray on some extra clear coat and do the entire wetsand and orange peel elimination job (easily a few days) for a big money ticket or if they go single stage do an entire hand rub and later on protection (after paint has outgassed).
                        so are you saying myself do the post body shop detail?

Also, id think id go BC/CC as it would hold better finish wouldnt it? And last longer with more work to be able to be done on the finish (detailing/compounding etc.)
                        Zach Hall

Comment

so are you saying myself do the post body shop detail?

Also, id think id go BC/CC as it would hold better finish wouldnt it? And last longer with more work to be able to be done on the finish (detailing/compounding etc.)
                          Sorry, thought it was a customer's car. If it's yours, then you have some options. I'd personally go with a single stage paint just to keep with the original style of paint. It is also usually cheaper as well due to not having to put on so many layers of paint versus a BC/CC with several extra layers of clear. If you resell it at some point in the future it will retain slightly higher value once restored.

If you're getting the paint job brand new from a body shop than excessive polishing or compounding shouldn't be an issue since you'll be doing the maintenance washes and not installing any swirls or defects. Single stage paint is something you sort of build a "relationship" with as it can oxidize or fade so regular washes and hand-applied waxes (my preference) are a must. Once a month washing it down and applying wax to keep the paint moisturized and oxidation free is a nice way to spend a lazy weekend day followed by a nice cruise in your shiny ride...

Whatever way you do go (BC/CC or SS) just ask the body shop to spray on a few extra layers of clear/paint. There will be some orange peel and you'll need to decide how to handle that. Let the body shop wetsand/buff it out and you follow up to correct any induced damage (micromarring, holograms, etc.) or just have them spray it and you handle the wetsanding and sanding mark removal on your own. You can do what I did and mix the two by having them spray the car, wetsand it with several progressively less abrasive grits of paper, and then you remove the sanding marks and finish final polishing.

Really up to you and your confidence in the body shop's work and your own skill level and tools available...don't even think of buffing out sanding marks across an entire freshly-painted car with a PC7424 or G110. A Flex would be a minimum for that job and a rotary is really the ideal tool for the job.

Comment

well i have NO experience in wet sanding or rotary stuff so thats all theirs!!!!

Also, how would i go about figuring out what the original color green of the car was....its buried under a red and then white paint job......
                            Zach Hall

Comment

I didnt read many other posts, but if you want it 100%, it's going to need alot of work. Stripping the paint down, fixing the rust, and a full repaint. Sorry to tell you the bad news
                              2004 Mustang GT - Sonic Blue

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');