• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I Need Clear Bra Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Need Clear Bra Advice

I am thinking about getting a clear bra installed on my new 2009 Honda CR-V EX. Does anyone have any experience with a clear bra? Do you have any advice to offer? Here are the available kits:

Which ones should I order? (I will, of course, get a professional to install the clear bra.) Should I go for maximum coverage? Should I get the headlights covered? etc. TIA.

Also, which is better, 3M or Avery?

Al
    Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
    --Al Kimel

Re: I Need Clear Bra Advice

I'm removing my 3M clear bra.

If my paint wasn't so brittle and didn't have dozens of chips beyond the 18" of film, then I wouldn't mind having it on the car. I don't really like having to worry about the edge when polishing and waxing either.

I hate my paint!
    Rasky's Auto Detailing

Comment

I agree! I use just a regular bra on my car. And I had it on since 2006. As long as you was and polish the paint under it, it won't fade.

Originally posted by RaskyR1 View Post
      I'm removing my 3M clear bra.

If my paint wasn't so brittle and didn't have dozens of chips beyond the 18" of film, then I wouldn't mind having it on the car. I don't really like having to worry about the edge when polishing and waxing either.

I hate my paint!

Comment

Im not sure, im not a huge clear bra fan. My dads car could use it though, the front of his car looks like it has freckles but it is because he is on the highway 5 days a week to and from work so he could really use it. I actually just got a rock chip on my hood a little while ago right down the middle and my car is black, I cant stand it!

I would say to go for something that covers what you think will be the most critical areas, so definitely bumber and partial hood. I cant really help to much though as I dont have much experience on them.

Comment

I still can't make up my mind whether to go the clear bra route or not. Anybody else out there have any experience, good and bad, with clear bras? The local installer, by the way, recommends the Avery film over against the 3M. He says it's an easier product to install well.
          Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
          --Al Kimel

Comment

No idea, but I'm about to have my hood and front bumper re painted for having too many rock chips in them so I'm thinking about it too.

So far this is whee I stand:

Clear bras are nice for the casual daily driver, to protect their cars, but for car enthusiasts who like to work on the paint it sort of hinders our ability as we now can only work on the clear bra, not the paint under it.

So it seems if you like working on your paint it's better not getting one. :/

Comment

If you ask me, I'd skip it. I think they detract from the look of the car. Just my two cents.
              Shane
              1995 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera SL

If you trim yourself to fit the world you'll whittle yourself away. - Aaron Tippin

Comment

Originally posted by Cobalt2006 View Post
                I agree! I use just a regular bra on my car. And I had it on since 2006. As long as you was and polish the paint under it, it won't fade.
                Wouldn't the paint not under the bra fade since it is exposed to the elements more than what is under the bra? Just curious...

Comment

Well, its one thing to like working on paint, another to have it get ruined. Maybe it comes down to how bad the roads are that your car will be on, etc, and how delicate the paint seems.
                  2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Don't take this the wrong way, but for that type of vehicle...I say skip it.

It is one thing for a low-to-the-ground zippity car that is likely to face abnormal amounts of rocking and debris, but an SUV/CUV like that should be fine up at that height, and given it's duties.

Save the money...

My $.02

Comment

Originally posted by akimel View Post
                      I still can't make up my mind whether to go the clear bra route or not. Anybody else out there have any experience, good and bad, with clear bras? The local installer, by the way, recommends the Avery film over against the 3M. He says it's an easier product to install well.
                      I have run into about a dozen customers in my Body shop that have clear bra and they all seem to love them and want them back on after the collision repairs and a 30 day wait for the paint to cure. It runs on avg. 1200 to 1500 here in pa for a full kit. and the local installer also prefers Avery over 3M but I think there is a pretty good cost Diff. for the material as well so the installer has better profit margins. I was not a fan at first but there are starting to grow on me, just not sure on the durability over long hall yellowing,loose edges,wear and tear over a long time period.

You could live on the edge and just flip a coin.

Comment

wish my wife would go the clear bra route.
                        2018 Subaru Outback 3.6R Touring - Crystal White Pearl

Comment

I wish she would too.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Kleis View Post
                            Don't take this the wrong way, but for that type of vehicle...I say skip it.

It is one thing for a low-to-the-ground zippity car that is likely to face abnormal amounts of rocking and debris, but an SUV/CUV like that should be fine up at that height, and given it's duties.

Save the money...

My $.02
                            I agree with Mark. My SRT which sits low is riddled with small rock chips as where my truck given it's height doesn't have any. If anything just get a regular bra for it and you can remove it and install it whenever you want. Makes it a whole lot easier too when you want to polish and wax your paint.
                            Jesse

2009-2014 Meguiar's/Car Crazy SEMA Team
                            www.ShineTechAutoDetail.com
                            Facebook www.detailing.com

Comment

I'm saying the regular bra isn't what you want. You'll eventually get uneven paint wear from the bra....not to mention getting dirt under the bra and it's constantly rubbing on your paint with 70mph worth of pressure on the interstate.

If it were me, I'd just put some wax on it and roll with the punches.
                              NOTE: Post count does not reflect actual detailing knowledge.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');