• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

G220 bad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G220 bad?

Here is my little experience with the G220. I bought one summer 2008. And polished 4 cars before I found the machine behaved strange. It would almost not rotate anyfurther, anyhow. (And yes, easy use, almost no pressure). I took the backplate off and tested the machine just in the air. And it rotated only occasionally. And well, something was seriously wrong.. I went to the dealer and explained and showed up the machine. They had been notified that this was a problem on the first models they received. And I got a new one without any problems. I have polished one car last year with the new machine, and was a bit in doubt if it was fine. Now its spring, and I was about starting with my car. And, I'm sorry to say, but I think I see the same problem again. Machine is working "fine", but I think its getting weaker and weaker to rotate. But now I thought that I must research this. I unscrewed the backing disk and "clutch", where I find two roller bearings mounted in the eccentric house, and a shaft goes right through these two bearings. And here I see the problem. Shaft is not tight to the bearings. Instead the shaft is slipping on the inner ring of the bearing. And has worn itself thin and there is sign of it has gone warm. The effect of the bearings are then lost, and therefore this of course will make the "clutch" to malfunction. I think this looks disappointing. Very very poor technically build. So the questions is, may I got a machine that has the same factory failure as the first one? Has this problem been improved? It should be grooved pattern in the innerring and on the shaft. Then this problem should have been solved 100%.
    And do not mention that I have used the machine faulty. Because I use the machine gently and soft, and almost its own weight as pressure.I do really know about this use. Corners, curves and so its hopeless with G220, so I fix them by hand. Its not that either. And whatever how you use it,the problem will still be there. This weakness is not going away whatsoever. So, if I can replace anything yet again, is this problem fixed/improved?Or are G220 still build like this? If so, this machine ends up in the trash and I go to the purchase of a Flex. This just does not hold. At the first place, this is very disappointing product from Meguiar's! At least from my point of view.

Last edited by Zaronn; Jun 1, 2009, 04:38 PM. Reason: Spelling error

Re: G220 bad?

Moving to the Customer Care Hotline forum.

When new threads or posts are posted to the Customer Care Hotline forum an e-mail is generated and sent to staff in our Customer Care department so they're aware of any problems.

When a thread is posted anywhere else there is no one notified.

Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Ok thanks. I dont know what to do with this machine. Its the 2nd time...Kind of lost my hope. I see there is a bunch others with problems here too. But I as I mention, I would really now if this problem is solved or not. I dont know how your knowledge about the european production, but hope you can help me with some information.

Comment

Hi,

If you want to save the machine just have a machinist fabricate a new spindle/shaft if you have an access to a machine shop. Show the whole assembly to the machinist so he will know how the proper fit and tolerance needed. Also the bearing must be replaced in order for the new shaft to have a proper fit. This is all you need to have it going again and I'm sure once you have a new shaft fitted to your machine it will last you for a long time.

Cesar

Comment

Hi to the staff at Meguiar's,zaronn and escape artist..

I'd like to put in a little input here to all three of you as i have a great interest in this matter.

Firstly, I'd like to know,is there any difference whatsoever between the G110 and the G220,apart from the voltage. By this,I mean, are they constructed by the same people,in the same place.

Secondly,where are these DA's made?Throughout my life i have bought a lot of products made in the USA,and have found them to be very robust and long lived and give a lot of satisfaction.I understand that a lot of things today are made in China,but it depends what it is.Microfibres,okay,but machinery puts me off. Unfortunatley,it's difficult not to buy products made in China.This is not intended to be a slur at china or it's people,but i am against their working conditions etc.

Thirdly,Is this an isolated case with zaronn? Although it is strange that it happened twice. I havn't came across anyone with this kind of problem in the states with G110,hence my Question earlier.

Lastly,to escape artist.That seems to be one answer.But i certainley wouldn't want to have to modify a new machine.These DA's are considerably more expensive in europe.Personally,I have access to machinery,but in my case i'd be stuck all summer as the school's closed at this time of year.

Thankyou,I hope all these issues can be answered and resolved.

Comment

Good points Eddie. Hope any from Meguiars will answer our questions soon.
            By the way, I payed 526 USD for my machine. Yes its true!
            So they are defently more expensive in europe. I would really like to see better than this for it cost.

Comment

Hi Zaronn,I'm sorry to see you had this bad luck with the G220.We'll see what is to come.What would that be in euro's?

P.S. I visited Oslo in the summer of 1984.Beautiful country!I was very impressed!I stayed in a village not far from Oslo and visited many fjiords.The trip from the UK to Oslo by boat was awfull---The North Sea!

Comment

Hi,

I replied to this one but it did not go through. Anyway, if your dealer is not going to replace or repair your machine then I guess your other option, like I have suggested before, is to have a new shaft fabricated if you still want to save your machine. I would if I payed that amount of money. There's nothing else wrong with it, right? Replacing a worn out part with a fabricated one is not considered as modification. The machinist will just simple copy the original part without modifying other than correcting the diameter of the shaft to fit properly into the bearing that is already mounted in the machine. It seems like both machines got fitted with bad batch of spindle / shaft that went through QA inspection.

Just my 2 cents.....

Comment

Ye. But first of all I would like to know if my machine is a bad luck production, and or this is a common problem on european models. And/or this issue is fixed or improved on later models. I really hope the Meguiars technicians can answer me on that. By the way. There is no information even on the machine or the papers where its produced. If there is no indication about this issue is a "one time" happening, or its common and improved. I really want full refund and go buy a Flex DA instead. Flex has forced rotation too, which I see as a big advantage. Guess I need to be prepared for a fight with the dealer.Hehe

The price I payed recalculated to euros is 398 euros. Thats a bloody price for a "cheap build" machine.

Nice to hear about your nice stay in Norway. Norway is a beatiful country in the summer time, but winters are horrible. Icecold and more snow than I can take. Boring to live here, but its a nice place for a holiday :-) Take a look here if you want http://www.visitnorway.com/ Youre all welcome ;-)

Comment

Zaronn,

I just sent you a PM.
                    Brian Hann
                    Manager - Meguiar's Solutions Hub
                    Meguiar's Inc.
                    Irvine, California
                    bhann@meguiars.com
                    (800) 854-8073 *3870

Comment

Hi Zaronn,I think you should wait and see what the CCD. has to say to you before giving up.I'm suprised that there is no mention of manufacturing origin. That is one hec of a price! although I know Scandinavia is very expensive. Here it is about 190euros from what I was told by the shop assistant,with the new catalogue. I already think that this is very expensive.This is the big difference between Europe and the USA.

Maybe as far as the origin goes,could someone here find this out and let me know(G220).All my machinery is made in Europe,Japan or USA:Beta,Snap-on,sealey,Metabo,Bosch and Taskmaster.I'm not really keen on machinery or precision tools,which originate in China.

I'm expecting the G series is made in USA.?

Oh,thanks for the link.I'll go and take a look right now.

Thankyou,Eddie.

Comment

Thanks for PM Brian.

But unfortunately it did not helped me much regarding my questions.

So, today I went to my dealer for a full refund. Im sorry, but I have lost all my faith for the machine. After a lot of back and forth with the dealer, I finally got full refund!!

But, this is important. They have stopped selling G220 because they have recieved a lot complaint on this machine. And the dealer and importer is very aware of this bearing problem. (Though importer never answered me!). Almost everyone they have sold are returned! Meguairs should really be aware of this issue. At least Meguairs Europe. I think this is something Meguairs REALLY need to take seriuos. Its just horrible like it is, for that bloody price!!

Well, its not my problem anymore. But I feel very sorry for all the other customers out there.

Im happy, got full refund and I have ordered a brand new Flex 3401 VRG
                        Last edited by Zaronn; Jun 3, 2009, 07:51 AM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

Originally posted by Escape-Artist View Post
                          Hi,

I replied to this one but it did not go through. Anyway, if your dealer is not going to replace or repair your machine then I guess your other option, like I have suggested before, is to have a new shaft fabricated if you still want to save your machine. I would if I payed that amount of money. There's nothing else wrong with it, right? Replacing a worn out part with a fabricated one is not considered as modification. The machinist will just simple copy the original part without modifying other than correcting the diameter of the shaft to fit properly into the bearing that is already mounted in the machine. It seems like both machines got fitted with bad batch of spindle / shaft that went through QA inspection.

Just my 2 cents.....

Hi E-A,I don't disagree with what you're saying,even the fact that I could do that myself in a machine shop.I think what matters here is whether or not this unit is under it's manufacturing warranty.
                          Apart from that,I'd like to give a quick example to why i popped the question as to it's origin.(this is of course my experience):

I was helping out a freind to build a kit car.During the process,i went out to get a hold of an angle grinder.I got one for about 50$'s that was made for the store from which I bought it from,and was also made in China.It did the job of cutting metal.Later on,I started to cut some stone work for a path in the garden,when it failed.I tried to repair it,but it was finished.So I had to go and get another.I paid a lot more money and bought a Bosch intermediate range,which is made in Germany.This machine has so far done twenty times the amount of work,including cutting metal,sanding and cutting stonework,which can be quite heavy on these machines(stonework). So,apart from what was discussed earlier,I hope you can see my point of view.

Thanks,Eddie.

Comment

[QUOTE]Maybe as far as the origin goes,could someone here find this out and let me know(G220).All my machinery is made in Europe,Japan or USA:Beta,Snap-on,sealey,Metabo,Bosch and Taskmaster.I'm not really keen on machinery or precision tools,which originate in China.

[QUOTE]

Mike posted an answer to this question in this thread...

Discussion on Meguiar's Classic, Gold Class, NXT, Ultimate, and Hybrid Ceramic Product Lines
                            Last edited by Brian Hann; Jun 4, 2009, 10:12 AM. Reason: Quote did not show up correctly
                            Brian Hann
                            Manager - Meguiar's Solutions Hub
                            Meguiar's Inc.
                            Irvine, California
                            bhann@meguiars.com
                            (800) 854-8073 *3870

Comment

Mike posted an answer to this question in this thread...

http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/sho...t=21543&page=6[/QUOTE]

Okay Brian,i've just checked this out and has also been confirmed by Joseph Thomas.

Thankyou for the reply.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');