• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Porsche Carrera GT Black

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Porsche Carrera GT Black

Here is another detail I did last week while vacationing/detailing in Cali. This is one of my favorite cars to work on for a few reasons. First and foremost, it's a great car. I'd work on it just to be able to start it and hear the V10 scream. Second, it's a pleasure to polish. Porsche paint is very nice to work with, as most of you know, and with this cars great lines and curves it's a very rewarding detail. Anyway, the car has very low miles and is kept under a cover (two actually!) and has only seen a few hand washes. The only person to ever buff on the car is me and it's always nice to work on something that you have worked on before. It's been a few years since I last polished it and it has some very light swirls from washing and having the covers go on and off.

After trying a couple test spots I decided to go with old M105 and UC at a 50/50 ratio. I had some of this left over from the 911 I did a couple days before and was very happy with how it worked in the unusually humid conditions for So-Cal. The defects where not as deep or as varied as the 911 but that's why the new SMAT polishes are so great IMO. I just made less passes than on the 911 and had a great clean canvas to apply my final polish to.

M205 on a black pad was used for the final polish step. I tried doing 4 moderate passes followed by 2 light passes just as I did on the 911. It looked good but left some haze under direct light. Not sure why it worked so well on the 911 and not on this car. Different paint system on the GT perhaps? Maybe something about the carbon fiber panels requires a different paint system? I have no idea honestly.

Process:
    GC wash
    Mild blue clay and QD for lube
    M105/UC cut 50/50 8006 pad Speed 5
    M205 9007 pad speed 5
    Two coats of NXT

Lights where rubbed by hand with a foam applicator and M205 followed by NXT.

Wheels where cleaned with GC and a terry cloth towel followed by M205 and NXT.

Here are a few shots showing the light swirls that show up under direct light. No sun shots as the marine layer had a good grasp on the sky

The car was washed, sheet dried, clayed, and then taped up and polished with M105/UC. This removed all the minor swirls but left a fine haze on the paint:

Next up was M205 via a black finishing pad using 4 passes with moderate pressure. This removed the haze left by my previous step and revealed a crystal clear finish:

Areas like the engine bay cover where rubbed out using M105 followed by M205 on foam applicator pads.

At the same time the head and taillights where rubbed with M205.

Jason

Re: Porsche Carrera GT Black

The car was then pulled back outside and rinsed to remove any dust left from polishing. At this time the sills and engine bay where wiped down with a microfiber and QD.

Once the car was dried I then applied two coats of NXT2.0 on all exterior paint, carbon fiber, lights, and wheels.

Unfortunately the sun was still playing hide and seek above the thick marine layer. I was really hoping for some sun and some good reflections....but no luck.

Anyway, enjoy the afters!

And lastly your daily moment of bliss....

Jason

Comment

Nice!!!!

I once put swirls in my paint just to see what it looked like.

I don't always detail cars, but when I do, I prefer Meguiar's.
      Remove swirls my friends.

Comment

What a pleasure it must have been to behold and work with such a machine! Such a beautiful, exhilarating, and unique howl that engine produces...oops time to bring out the APC for my pants.

Awesome job on the correction! Interesting technique of dividing the two polishes--glad it worked for you.

Mind telling us how long you had the luxury (or lack thereof) to wait between the 2 coats of NXT?

Comment

All I can say is......sweeeeeeeet!!!!

Comment

I love that car so much.

Comment

Originally posted by cardriver View Post
              Mind telling us how long you had the luxury (or lack thereof) to wait between the 2 coats of NXT?
              An hour or two.

And thanks everybody! It is a mean sounding machine for sure.
              Jason

Comment

Porsche paint is nice to work with, as was the Carrera GT, I'm sure. Great pictures & very nice work!
                Rick McDonough
                Customer Engagement - Digital Content Editor
                Meguiar's Inc.
                1.800.854.8073 * 3853
                rmcdonough@meguiars.com

Comment

The car and paint look awesome. Great work.
                  quality creates its own demand

Comment

Thats a cool car to work on. Love the reflections.
                    Learning new things everyday

Comment

ohh-emm-gee.

Love the work but love the car more.

Comment

Thanks all!
                        Jason

Comment

Looks WET!!! Good job!