• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Soccer fans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soccer fans

How many of you enjoy Soccer?

Re: Soccer fans

I'm a big fan of Tri-Color (Mexico's National team) and La Liga de Futbol Mexicana. I also enjoy the EPL and the Spanish professional leagues (Barcelona, Real Madrid). But I grew up with it and I follow Mexican soccer because my uncles and cousins followed it. The US team, until recently, was never televised.

Comment

Originally posted by ClearlyCoated View Post
      I'm a big fan of Tri-Color (Mexico's National team) and La Liga de Futbol Mexicana. I also enjoy the EPL and the Spanish professional leagues (Barcelona, Real Madrid). But I grew up with it and I follow Mexican soccer because my uncles and cousins followed it. The US team, until recently, was never televised.
      A little bit of history for you: USA beat England,when they first decided to enter the world cup finals. Did the sport not really take off after the '94 WC?
      I remember years ago watching Pelè,Beckenbaur etc with the NYCosmos.

Actually,i meant to add this in as a voting thing,but I don't know what you do?

Comment

Originally posted by Eddie6th View Post
        A little bit of history for you: USA beat England,when they first decided to enter the world cup finals. Did the sport not really take off after the '94 WC?
        I remember years ago watching Pelè,Beckenbaur etc with the NYCosmos.

Actually,i meant to add this in as a voting thing,but I don't know what you do?
        For most Americans, World Cup Football didn't really register until the late 90's. I know the game you speak of when the US beat heavily favored England - an upset throughout the rest of the world but only a blip on the US sports radar at the time. Even today the sport is a hard sell. Many Americans find it boring and low scoring. I grew up with it, and I love seeing a pressing attack drive the length of the field, only to get thwarted at the last second by a goalie's outstretched fingers. The more people understand the sport, the more they will come to enjoy it. But being a fan of American soccer can be lonely. The US scores a goal in the 89th minute of a FIFA quarterfinal to take a one goal lead and there's no one to high-five when I turn around!

Comment

It's the same in Europe.Just what you are brought up with,i guess? Having said that,American football is popular in parts of western europe.

You might be able to help me with this one: In the '94 WC,I thought USA were very unlucky against Brazil. There was a fantastic goal that was scored for the USA,but I can't remember the name of the player? It was a really clever goal.(I think that particular goal was against brazil.So long ago!)

The other player that I can't remember the name of was,the BIG defender with the beard.Here we called him the 'BIG YIN' because he was a bit like Billy Connolly.

Comment

Love soccer. I enjoy playing, watching, playing in videogames. Don't watch as much now.

I experienced my first live World Cup in Germany 2006.
            Currently saving for South Africa 2010.

Comment

Glory Glory Man United, Glory Glory Man United, Glory Glory Man United, and the reds go marching on, on, on. (except for the CL final )

I love playing and watching.
              Dilution Chart

Comment

How many of you enjoy Soccer?
                My second favorite sport (after hockey). Love the English Premiere and La Liga but not a huge fan of Italian football (sorry). Just to defensive for my liking.

Don't mind high skilled possession football (like Brazil plays) but I've never been a fan of the defensive shell counter-attacking game.
                ----------------------------------

3Fitty - Now recommending products I have never used.

Comment

Originally posted by 3Fitty View Post
                  My second favorite sport (after hockey). Love the English Premiere and La Liga but not a huge fan of Italian football (sorry). Just to defensive for my liking.

Don't mind high skilled possession football (like Brazil plays) but I've never been a fan of the defensive shell counter-attacking game.

Hi 3fitty,couldn't agree with you more.Italian football is to tactical for my liking. I prefer fast attcking games!

With the recent world cups,I find the african teams give lots of veiwing pleasure.They play the way Brazil played 30-40 years ago. 'you score one.....we'll score two, you score two.....we'll score three..!'

If a team plays a lot of fast attacking,entertaining football,then I hope they win! Unfortunatley,doesn't always work.

Comment

Soccer is my third favorite sport behind American football and basketball. My first interest occurred while I was recovering from my first bout with pneumonia during the '86 World Cup when Diego Maradona dribbled through the entire Italian (I think) team to score a goal.
                    Earlier in my life, I was stationed in Wiesbaden, Germany. On a lovely July afternoon, I was in my BOQ room with the window opened. All of a sudden, the entire city let out a roar. I called the telephone operator to ask what had just happened. She said,"Sir, we just scored a goal against England in the World Cup final."
                    But my love for the game came after I became an AYSO referee. Here in Santa Monica, soccer is by far the leading participatory sport.
                    Until the high school hunnies begin to worship the soccer players, soccer will continue to be a secondary sport in the US.

Comment

Forza Azzuri... My son was born when Italy won the World Cup in 2006 it was a great day

Comment

Originally posted by SRT84JM View Post
                        Soccer is my third favorite sport behind American football and basketball. My first interest occurred while I was recovering from my first bout with pneumonia during the '86 World Cup when Diego Maradona dribbled through the entire Italian (I think) team to score a goal.
                        Earlier in my life, I was stationed in Wiesbaden, Germany. On a lovely July afternoon, I was in my BOQ room with the window opened. All of a sudden, the entire city let out a roar. I called the telephone operator to ask what had just happened. She said,"Sir, we just scored a goal against England in the World Cup final."
                        But my love for the game came after I became an AYSO referee. Here in Santa Monica, soccer is by far the leading participatory sport.
                        Until the high school hunnies begin to worship the soccer players, soccer will continue to be a secondary sport in the US.
                        Hi SRT,Maradona's goal was against england(semi or quarter).It's a shame america doesn't really boost the sport.With the size of the poulation,there's bound to be a lot of really skilled players out there!

Comment

Originally posted by Sal329 View Post
                          Forza Azzuri... My son was born when Italy won the World Cup in 2006 it was a great day
                          You couldn't move here!Thet must remain with you.

Are you looking forward to the 2010?

Comment

You couldn't move here!Thet must remain with you.

Are you looking forward to the 2010?

I have not been to Italy in 10 years, I miss being in school and having summer vaca beinga ble to go see family.
                            Heck yea, my 3 yr old and I watch soccer together. Last summer he chose soccer (Euro Cup) over Barney

Comment

I think that was a bit misleading...What I meant by 'you couldn't move here' was on the day that Italy won on the 2006 WC.The roads were hectic!

To be fair,spain did have the best team in that contest(euro2008).

I'm really looking forward to the 2010WC...Should be interesting.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');