• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My "new" boat needs your help!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My "new" boat needs your help!!!

I recently purchased a 1989 deck boat and have ZERO detailing experience so I am turning to all of you for your expertise.

This boat has probably never been washed or waxed. It looks very similar to Question on Bad Oxidation, photos included - posted by yanks_17. I have no clue where to start or what equipment to gather. I have photos but of course cannot even figure out how to post those. Ugh!

Please help a newbie out!

Thanks so much!
    Heather

Re: My "new" boat needs your help!!!

An 89 Deckboat? If I had to guess is it a Hurricane? I have a 91 Hurricane that was badly oxidized. To get it back I used a woolpad and a rotary buffer with Meg's #49. It did a great job of removing the oxidization. Once that was done I topped it with Collinite 845 insulator wax.
    If its fast, loud, and runs on a flammable liquid...count me in.

Comment

To upload photos, first you need to resize them. To do that read this thread:

or if you use iPhoto, read post #4 of this thread:

After you've done that, read this thread:
      How to place an image in your messages
      Shane
      1995 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera SL

If you trim yourself to fit the world you'll whittle yourself away. - Aaron Tippin

Comment

Working with photos on discussion forums

When it comes to adding a picture to your message, there's multiple ways to do it, here are three tutorials that will teach you everything you need to know in order to,
        • Crop out the fluff.
        • Resize the image to a normal size.
        • Upload your photos into a PhotoPost Gallery and then insert them into your message.
        How to crop your photo's using LviewPro
        How to resize your photos before uploading
        How to place an image in your messages

And in case you make a mistake or change your mind about a photo,

How to delete a photo in your gallery

There are even more how-to articles on these types of things here,

Forum related how-to articles

It's not that hard folks... just read through the tutorials and then practice a little bit and you'll have a new set of skills you can use on ANY forum.

Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Are you doing all your work by hand?

If so you're going to want to get a strong oxidation remover, below are 3 of our more aggressive products and they can all be used by hand or machine.

M49 Oxidation Remover is the least aggressive of these 3...

M67 One Step Compound is next in line and was designed more for hand application but can be used by machine for 2000 grit or finer

M91 Power Cut Compound is the most aggressive...It was designed to remove up to 1000 - 1200 grit on gel coat by rotary machine but can also be used by hand.

After you remove the oxidation follow with M45 Boat Polish and then follow this with a quality marine wax like our Flagship Premium

M4516 High Gloss Polish

M6316 Flagship Premium Marine Wax

You'll want to get plenty of applicator pads for applying products, try to find round terry cloth applicator pads for applying the oxidation removers and foam applicator pads for applying the polish and wax.

Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');