• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wet Sanding My SL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wet Sanding My SL

Hey, So I jumped the gun, and started wet sanding my trunk. Sanded with 1500, 2000, and planing on hitting it quick with 4000 grit. Just wonder what compounds I should use. I already have M86 (solo). I'll be using a Makita buffer for the process.

I plan to use M105 with w-4000 pad, then hit it with Solo M86 with a w-8000 pad. From what I keep reading, the best combo is M105 with M205, but I don't see it on meguiarscanada.com . I Was hopeing to replace the M205 with the Solo. I have also read others using Solo before the M105, but shouldn't it be done after?

So, Does my process sounds ok?
    Step 1. M105 with W-4000
    Step 2. M86 (solo) with W-8000

Thanks for your help in advance.

Re: Wet Sanding My SL

Originally posted by 230sl View Post
    From what I keep reading, the best combo is M105 with M205, but I don't see it on meguiarscanada.com . I Was hopeing to replace the M205 with the Solo. I have also read others using Solo before the M105, but shouldn't it be done after?

So, Does my process sounds ok?
    Step 1. M105 with W-4000
    Step 2. M86 (solo) with W-8000

Thanks for your help in advance.
    You're process should work fine as both M105 and M86 work great for how you're going to use them. M205 has a lot less cut than M86 so it is a true finishing polish but M86 with a yellow foam polishing pad finishes out really nice also. You might want to follow the M86/Rotary Buffer step with DA Polisher step.

Before sanding any further you might want to test out your system and make sure you can get the results you want before sanding any further. Before I sand down an entire car I always do a test spot to one small area and this includes sanding, compounding, polishing and finish polishing and then inspect the results to make sure they're what I'm expecting.

What are you working on?
    Factory cured paint?
    Fresh paint?
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Re: Wet Sanding My SL

My car was repainted at some point, long ago I assume. Not sure if it was a single stage or clear coat, but the paint job was a poor one. Its painted white, so I might get a finish I'll be happy with with just the M105+M86.

Comment

Working...
      X
      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');