• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Original M09

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Original M09

Today I detailed a 2001 Harley Davidson Motorycle. It was raining so I did it at the owners house so he didnt have to ride in the rain. Anyways we got on the subject of what he used on this bike in the past. He was using something decent because the bike was in pretty good condition and didnt have too many swirls on the painted surfaces.

Turns out he uses the original M09 Swirl Remover to clean the paint from time to time.

He said he bought it in the late eighties at K Mart and thats all he uses. At first it had a liquidy consistency and then I shook it up and it felt like my M09 2.0.

I felt bad asking for the bottle, but in return I told him i would give him my M09 2.0. It still even has the original hand written price tag on it.

Nick
    Tucker's Detailing Services
    815-954-0773
    2012 Ford Transit Connect

Re: The Original M09

Near as I can tell M09 introduced a new category of products for Meguiar's and to some level for the industry. The Cleaner/Polish category, part cleaner and part polish. Less aggressive than a compound but more bite than a non-abrasive pure polish.

I have an old Meguiar's catalog from the 1980's and in it M09 is a spray wax, so at some point the M09 Spray Wax was discontinued and the number was then used when M09 the cleaner/polish was introduced.

Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Nice find! Good info Mike!

Comment

I tried it on the bike I was working on and it worked quite well and actually removed the more shallow swirls and scratches. I guess the paint was very soft, or polishable. Plus I worked it in by hand since the G110 would have been a pain to use on this bike.
        Nick
        Tucker's Detailing Services
        815-954-0773
        2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

Great find. Thanks for sharing.
          quality creates its own demand

Comment

Nice find, I see it said use with DA? How long has the DA been around in detailing vs buffing?
            "Every moment frontin and maxin
            Chillin in the car they spent all day waxin
            "

Comment

Originally posted by Zuke View Post
              Nice find, I see it said use with DA? How long has the DA been around in detailing vs buffing?
              In the body shop industry it's been around since whenever Meguiar's introduced their W6000 foam pad, probably n the 1970's. Here's one from 1996,

Meguiar's introduced the foam buffing pad in 1965 and then down the road took that idea and made a smaller pad with a backing plate that used a 5/16" spindle so it could be attached to a air-powered DA sander.

The 1965 Wooless Wonder - First Foam Buffing Pad

In 1965 Meguiar's introduced the first foam buffing pad for use in place of a wool cutting or wool finishing pad; this enabled a person to create a more swirl-free finish by getting away from the individual fibers that make up a wool or fiber type buffing pad.

Then a few decades later someone at Meguiar's discovered the electric Porter Cable DA Sander has enough power to work a foam pad and Meguiar's introduced the enthusiast world to what we've been showing the body shop world for years.
              The below was taken from this thread.

Here's some pictures of my oldest catalogs... am trying to find out if there's any older catalogs than this...

The one on the left is from 1995 and the one on the right is from 1996, the catalog from 1995 documents Meguiar's introducing the G100 at least 13 years ago and before this we were showing people in the Professional Trade how to use air powered DA Sanders to polish paint by using our W5500 Foam Polishing Pad, which if you look closely is the actual pad on the Porter Cable unit pictured below, not a W-8006 on a W64 DA Backing Plate.

The lettering is kind of fuzzy but you can make out that it says Porter Cable

Time flies when you're having fun...

Mike Phillips
              760-515-0444
              showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Mike Phillips, the man with all the answers! What would we do here without you Mike? I cannot describe how much I (we all) appreciate your informative posts here! I enjoy seeing flashbacks from the days of old, before my time, lol.

Comment

So many memories! I wish I had kept all my original bottles. M09 Was and still is one of my favorite products to use.

Comment

History is everywhere, no doubt this is part of the Meguiars legacy in car care.

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');