• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

? re 5 Step process

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ? re 5 Step process

Pretty new to this forum "officially" although I've been lurking for a month or so.

I haven't seen this addressed yet and would like to get others opinions.

I recently did a 5 step intial detail by hand on a 2008 Jeep Patriot with pretty good paint. Results were pretty good and I'm now hooked. Found that "Passion" = "Pooped" for a 50+ year old guy and I'm now in the market for a DA.

The 5 step process makes perfect sense since it seems to follow the adage with anything related to finishes and paint that the more you devote to surface preparation the better will be the result. On that point, two questions:

1. In a number of discussion threads, the use of a cleaner/conditioner seems to grouped with the polish cycle and doesn't seem absolutely essential. Would I be correct in assuming that if my car which has pretty good paint, minimal to no swirling, and for which I intend to include a clay application on at least horizontal surfaces doesn't necessarily need the cleaner step? I'm pretty committed to the concept of absolute devotion to prep work to gain the most at the final stage and the need for an additonal step will be a lesser issue once I get a DA in house. However, on a long term basis where I inted to wash weekly, seal/way monthly and detail quarterly, I'm trying to determine if cleaner/conditioner needs to remain a step in the process once I've addressed an acceptable level of maintenance of the paint overall.
    2. I have never seen anyone address the issue of washing the car again after the cleaner/polish step before applying sealant/wax. I do understand that cleaner/polish from the Meg's line should be wiped after its been worked into the paint and before it dries. However, do you wash again to give it an absolute pristine finish before the application of sealant/wax or is this step unnecessary since to wash it may reduce the essential oils restored to the paint during the polishing process?

Would appreciate any insight those of you who have been doing this awhile could provide.

Thanks.

Re: ? re 5 Step process

Even if you have minor swirls to remove, you still need a cleaner. for really mild swirls or even no swirls at all a cleaner/polish in the Pro line would be best. A real gentle cleaner/polish that can be used with the D.A is M09 or M80. M09 is Meguiars's most gentle cleaner/polish in the Pro Line.

Even if you have barely any swirls, the M09 is prep work and will make your paint look good before you apply your choice of wax, plus it has some of those trade secret polishing oils M80 has.

I dont ever wash after polishing work is completed, but some do an IPA wipedown to insure all swirls and scratches are removed. it might remove some of those polishing oils.
    Nick
    Tucker's Detailing Services
    815-954-0773
    2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

1. Some people will just wash, then put down some new wax. My car is a daily driver, parked outside, etc, so I dont wax without using a cleaner first.

It just kind of depends on how comfortable you are that the surface is in good shape after just a wash before waxing.

Also, if you use something like UQW after your washes, you will likely find your wax lasts longer than a month.

2. Yeah, no wash after polishing.
      2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Thanks for the help guys. Because the paints in good shape, one more step isn't that big a deal, esp. when I get the G110 next week. Presume more patience and including all the steps will lead to a deeper, longer lasting shine. I think getting the surface to the point of maintenance is the key after a good base has been established. Been using the UQW after washes..so easy can't afford not to.

Comment

Working...
        X
        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');