• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Having More Than One Car - A Luxury Or Necessity?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Having More Than One Car - A Luxury Or Necessity?

Title says all
    Luxury - I enjoy driving different cars
    62.86%
    Necessity - I am required to drive different cars
    37.14%

Re: Having More Than One Car - A Luxury Or Necessity?

Before, when I was an active musician, having more than one car is a necessity because I had to carry my amp and instruments in a big car (my Hummer H3), but now that I'm retired as a musician, having more than one car is a luxury.

Comment

I think it's a necessity. That way, if you're married or whatever and you have conflicting schedules you won't wind up fighting over the car. Or, if you have car trouble, you have another car to fall back on. I only have one car right now, but my parents have 2 cars and a van. The van gets used on trips and for hauling, the two cars are for going to the store and work and trips around town. I don't think you could persuade them to get rid of one of their vehicles.
      Shane
      1995 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera SL

If you trim yourself to fit the world you'll whittle yourself away. - Aaron Tippin

Comment

I would like to have a weekend truck and a weekday truck.

key words: LIKE TO HAVE
        Nick
        Tucker's Detailing Services
        815-954-0773
        2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

Well, my 02' Corolla is my Daily Driver and it shows. My 01' ES300 is my toy and usually is not driven in inclement weather (mainly snow). My 04' 4Runner is my winter special. Do I need all of these? No. Realistically, I could get by with my 02' Corolla for everything, but I like variety. Otherwise, life would be boring for me.

Cars are a hobby for me. Expensive, but brings pleasure into my life.

Comment

I have to have a sports car for the weekend or grocery getter and a luxury car for my daily driver.

Comment

I think of it more as a Luxury. Basically all you need is one car to get you from place to place the rest is just for showing off and having fun. Now do not get me wrong here but I as Nick/Tuck91 has already mentioned I would LIKE to have another car as a toy or one as a junker but that simply is not my case at least.
              Joel
              Firefighter/EMT-B
              Rejuvenation Auto Detailing
              "Satisfaction Guaranteed or Your Dirt Back!!!"
              '99 F-150

Comment

I wish I had an S10 or regular cab Silverado to drive every day, move people, and keep outside.
                Keep my Baby(ies) locked up in a garage or a showroom.
                Daily - 09 Chevrolet Colorado - Techno gray metallic
                baby - 92 Chevrolet Caprice Classic - aged, yellowed, white.

Comment

To me, it's more necessity than luxury, although some may argue with my reasoning. I live in a residence with no assigned parking, so I'm at the mercy of available street parking. After 9:00 PM, the spots fill up and there were times I had to park on the next block if I arrived after that time.

After I bought my new Accord last year, I decided to also keep my 16 year old Civic to permanently occupy the parking space in front of my house. It's main purpose now is to reserve that space for my Accord, and I play parking valet every morning and evening.

With the Civic, I can control the parking space just before my neighbor's driveway. So there's never a car parked in front of me, and I park the Civic back far enough to create ample space between any car that parks behind it and my Accord when I move it into the slot at night. Has worked to perfection so far, although I could save money in registration and insurance by selling the Civic.

The Accord now has 12K miles over 10 months, the Civic has gone maybe 300 miles in the same time. I also use the Civic if I have to go to poorer sections of town (it blends!), or when I go to the stadium during the NFL season (people carelessly brush or rub against your car as they maneuver between other vehicles and tailgate parties.)

Comment

I voted necessity but it is somewhat both to me. With my family there is 5 of us. My dad drives to dallas every day so he needs a car and when we were younger my mom needed her suburban to drive us around, than with me and my older sister in college we needed our cars and my little sister is about to get her permit! mg: but in reality we could get on with only two it would just be much more work. Which is why I also say luxury

Oh and agp you said you were a musician! What kind of stuff did you do? I used to wanna do that but changed my mind lol

Comment

Originally posted by john m. View Post
                      I voted necessity but it is somewhat both to me. With my family there is 5 of us. My dad drives to dallas every day so he needs a car and when we were younger my mom needed her suburban to drive us around, than with me and my older sister in college we needed our cars and my little sister is about to get her permit! mg: but in reality we could get on with only two it would just be much more work. Which is why I also say luxury

Oh and agp you said you were a musician! What kind of stuff did you do? I used to wanna do that but changed my mind lol
                      I'm a bassist primarily. I had my 3 people band, and we were a jam band of some sort. There's really no definite way to define our music, we played anything from soul, contemporary rock, hard metal, to parodies of other songs. I myself played everything from bass and guitar, to xylophone and saxophone. I had an Ampeg PR410 speakers, which weighs about 130 lbs and is 26in x 31in x 19in... That is just the speakers. The amplifier I had was Ampeg SVT Pro 2, which weighs 70 lbs and is 20in x 8 in x 16in. Being a musician is fun, but it doesn't pay well, the little money you get, you'd have to split it with other band members, and booking gigs also costs money. Unless you're an extraordinary music, which anyone can be with lots of practice, or your have your parents' trustfund to inherit, you're better off choosing another career.

Comment

^ that is awesome! I am a sax player myself, only done a few gigs they payed pretty well for something for fun but I was also sitting in with a really good group There is just so much competition out there that you really have to stand out to get any kind of money. My freshman year there was a kid I competed against who was a senior named Matt Morance I think, and when he graduated high school already had people looking at him for recording stuff! He was freaking good! And plus im up at UNT (north texas) which is like jazz capital and that makes you feel like you ****

Comment

The key to being a popular musician is not only excelling in music theory and instrument technique, but also in what type of music you play and how well you can "sell" yourself. The most popular bands definitely are not made of the most talented musicians, but they do consist of musicians who play the most widely-accepted music and musicians who know how to advertise themselves. One good thing about the music industry is that there's never a wrong way to do something, just not-so-effective ways.

Comment

I think it's a luxurious necessity

Comment

Originally posted by Maserati Mario View Post
                              I have to have a sports car for the weekend or grocery getter and a luxury car for my daily driver.
                              That's the way to do it!

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');